Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Newest family member...

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 9:27 PM
  • 22 Replies
1 mom liked this

Is our 8 week old pug puppy stitch. We got him this afternoon and took him to the vet to sadly dins out that he has a grade 3-4 heart murmur and umbilical hernia. The vets suggestion was to take him back to the store and see if we can get another puppy. We've all fallen in love with him including my dh who never wanted a dog. Cody and I are bot heart broken. The vet explained that without surgery the puppy may not make it past 1 year. She also said he may be fine and never have any problems. 

What woukd you ladies do? I don't want to take him back but I can't afford a possible surgery that cost thousands. And I would hate to see him suffer because of that.

by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 9:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 9:34 PM
Where did you get him from? Do they have a health guarantee or anything?
Codysmom2106
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Quoting arkansasmama08: Where did you get him from? Do they have a health guarantee or anything?

We got him from a local pet store :( they give you a 48 hr deal where you get a free vet check at one their recommended vets. If anything significant is wrong you can bring the puppy back. If they have more you can take another one home. If not you have to wait until the have more. There are no refunds. 

Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 9:50 PM

Oh, I'm so sorry.  That is terribly sad, and he is sooo cute!!!  I hope it works out for you, whatever you decide. 

Codysmom2106
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Oh, I'm so sorry.  That is terribly sad, and he is sooo cute!!!  I hope it works out for you, whatever you decide. 

Thank you! I fell for him immediately. The lady at the vets office took him from me and loved all over him before we left. It's awful because Cody kept thanking me saying how our family is complete now and then we found out about his little heart. It just makes the decision that much tougher. 

N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Love the puppy and give him a happy and loving home.   Cause vet said he may be fine ? And who else will take in a puppy when they find out it could have health problems. Hope for the best.

golfqueen123
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 12:04 AM

Awe, so cute, i hope he will be okay! We had a pug for 15 years and absolutely loved that little dog!! Will bring you lots of joy!!

Mipsy
by Chelle on Jan. 7, 2014 at 12:13 AM
Personally, I'd bring him back. I think the heartache will be much worse if he dies in a year than getting a new one. Unless you can afford to care for him, that would be my issue is how much is it going to coast just to keep him comfortable.
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 12:49 AM
1 mom liked this
I think you should take him back and ask them where they are getting their pups. This could be just a fluke but if they are using a puppy mill you might not get a healthy puppy.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 7, 2014 at 6:03 AM

I'm so sorry!  I'd take him back to be honest.

Cindy18
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 8:45 AM

I'm leaning this way. But it's a very hard decision! My biggest issue would be the amount of money you have already paid for him. I have looked at pug puppies and they are not cheap. That's a lot of money for only one year.... 

Good Luck with your decision.

Quoting Mipsy: Personally, I'd bring him back. I think the heartache will be much worse if he dies in a year than getting a new one. Unless you can afford to care for him, that would be my issue is how much is it going to coast just to keep him comfortable.

Cindy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)