Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Is our 8 week old pug puppy stitch. We got him this afternoon and took him to the vet to sadly dins out that he has a grade 3-4 heart murmur and umbilical hernia. The vets suggestion was to take him back to the store and see if we can get another puppy. We've all fallen in love with him including my dh who never wanted a dog. Cody and I are bot heart broken. The vet explained that without surgery the puppy may not make it past 1 year. She also said he may be fine and never have any problems. 

What woukd you ladies do? I don't want to take him back but I can't afford a possible surgery that cost thousands. And I would hate to see him suffer because of that.

by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 9:27 PM
Replies (11-20):
charley31
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 8:48 AM
2 moms liked this
Id contact a pug rescue. They would take him and help you find a new one. The pet store won't be able to give him what he needs. Just google pug rescue in your area I've worked with animals for 15yrs. It may take some research but a pug rescue will help you. Good luck.
jjamom
by Michele on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:44 AM
OMG, how cute!
letstalk747
by Joy on Jan. 7, 2014 at 11:09 AM

im so sorry , i would take him back , soooo sad

Gloria1025
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

This is a hard situation.  It's also why I feel the "healthy" guarantees that they give are BS, they know full well that the people are going to fall in love with the animal and not bring it back.  They should have had their puppies checked by their vet before putting them up for sale - these are not things that are easily missed by a reputable vet or "just showed up" and were not noticed (at least not the hernia).  They would have been picked up by their vet and this puppy should have been free to a home with someone who could afford his medical care with full disclosure.  I am sorry but this makes me very angry at the seller!! 

Quoting Codysmom2106:

Thank you! I fell for him immediately. The lady at the vets office took him from me and loved all over him before we left. It's awful because Cody kept thanking me saying how our family is complete now and then we found out about his little heart. It just makes the decision that much tougher. 

KRIZZ25
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 12:20 PM
no i would not ..i would keep him and love him as long as he has.he could live a long time. i would tell the ppl u got him from so thy know and maybe get some of ur $ back.
Codysmom2106
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 12:36 PM

If it were just my dh and I, I think the decision making process woukd have been much different.  I stayed up with him most of the night just loving on him, reading and researching everything I could find. Ultimately, we ended up bringing him back. We decided since we couldn't get our money back to bring home the other puppy. We got him checked out immediately and while his heart is fine he has undescended testis. The vet says health wise this won't pose a problem. We asked the owner what would happen to the puppy we brought back. They are going to have him checked by their own vet. If they are told again about the murmur they have a home he can go to where he will be loved and cared for. This has been the worst experience I've had. It was awful and I was very very upset this morning. I will worry about this puppy always. With my son wanting this dog so much I just couldn't risk him not making it more than a year or so. 

Here is my son and his new buddy:

Mipsy
by Chelle on Jan. 7, 2014 at 12:41 PM
Aw he's cute. But I think I'd report that pet store to the animal control. They are obviously not running a very well business and most likely getting these puppies from a puppy mill of some sort most likely keeping the animals in horrid conditions. I have to say there's a difference in these 2 dogs faces, the other ones eyes looked like bug eyed and wrong, this one actually looks like a pug. They should have given you your money back.

Quoting Codysmom2106:

If it were just my dh and I, I think the decision making process woukd have been much different.  I stayed up with him most of the night just loving on him, reading and researching everything I could find. Ultimately, we ended up bringing him back. We decided since we couldn't get our money back to bring home the other puppy. We got him checked out immediately and while his heart is fine he has undescended testis. The vet says health wise this won't pose a problem. We asked the owner what would happen to the puppy we brought back. They are going to have him checked by their own vet. If they are told again about the murmur they have a home he can go to where he will be loved and cared for. This has been the worst experience I've had. It was awful and I was very very upset this morning. I will worry about this puppy always. With my son wanting this dog so much I just couldn't risk him not making it more than a year or so. 

Here is my son and his new buddy:

aakeiser
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 1:02 PM
I got a cat from an adoption group and he had worms really bad. I called the company and they told me to let it die and they would not replace my money and they are not post to give me another cat. I was angry. I kept the cat and paid the vet bills to get him treated. He had to go through 3 rounds of medes. Problem with worms this bad they can cause problems with the kindeys. I had to watch him for bladder infections and kindey problems. He was a kitten when I got him. He got really sick at the age of 8 and I almost lost him and between my mom and I we nursed him back to health. He lived to be about 11 years old. I fave him the best 11 years. This was a kitten who wanted to live. See even the places that are post to care for these animals are as bad as puppy mills. I worked at a vet office and same company was adopting dogs out that had parvile which is very contagious and deadly for dogs. They even sent a kitten out with an illness that is deadly to cats. They didnt tell the people these animals were sick. I dont know much about the heart issue. Hurnia I did get a ferret that had one another case of not being checked out before buying. The pet shop did pay the vet bills. She also had an issue from being spayed. She lead a full life with the hurnia.
Gloria1025
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 1:06 PM

I would consider reporting this establishment.  This is 2 puppies both with "obvious" health issues.  Yes, undescended testicles are not as life threating as a heart murmur but neutering him will be a more involved process and likely cost you more money - they should not be charging "full price" for these animals and are not running an honest business.  Sorry, but I don't believe what they told you about the other puppy but that is just me. 

However - they are darn cute and I am so glad you son is happy with his new pet! 

Cindy18
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 1:34 PM

I was wondering this same thing.

Quoting Gloria1025:

This is a hard situation.  It's also why I feel the "healthy" guarantees that they give are BS, they know full well that the people are going to fall in love with the animal and not bring it back.  They should have had their puppies checked by their vet before putting them up for sale - these are not things that are easily missed by a reputable vet or "just showed up" and were not noticed (at least not the hernia).  They would have been picked up by their vet and this puppy should have been free to a home with someone who could afford his medical care with full disclosure.  I am sorry but this makes me very angry at the seller!! 

Quoting Codysmom2106:

Thank you! I fell for him immediately. The lady at the vets office took him from me and loved all over him before we left. It's awful because Cody kept thanking me saying how our family is complete now and then we found out about his little heart. It just makes the decision that much tougher. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)