Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Anyone else not very good at taking care of THEMSELVES??

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 10:05 PM
  • 18 Replies

I think I may have made the wrong choice.  So, I woke up this morning with an ear ache, but kind of ignored it.  A couple hours later both ears hurt and itched.  But, school was cancelled today as I'm in the -50 or something like that wind chill area.  That means kids are home, and I need to be here to take care of them, can't go out to doctor, and it's way to cold so who wants to go out today.  So take some Tylenol and keep on moving.  Hubs gets home later than I thought he would and by then urgent cares are closed.  I start googling ear infections and have some heat on it now.  But oh my, it is getting worse.  Can barely open my mouth without my jaw hurting, both ears are throbbing, , itch. whole head just hurts.  Whoops.  My kids I would have been bundled up and run out there in a heartbeat, but I thought I could get by until tomorrow when kids would be in school - now that is cancelled too.  Augh, messed up.  Anyone know any at home remedies for ear infections?  The heat is not doing it!  Anyone else not very good at taking care of themselves? 

by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Hope you feel better soon. Tylenol for pain ?  And yes when i sick i try to just get better on my own causei dont like going to the doc. But that cause i was sick alot growing up. Sinus  infections again and again and  meds after meds. surgery after surgery. That never worked ! Oh and no i cant get better on my own.   Now i got 2 kids lack of sleep. And when im stressed im in candy too much.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:15 PM

LOL at the 'candy too much' part.  Me too! 

Quoting N.Carter2001:

Hope you feel better soon. Tylenol for pain ?  And yes when i sick i try to just get better on my own causei dont like going to the doc. But that cause i was sick alot growing up. Sinus  infections again and again and  meds after meds. surgery after surgery. That never worked ! Oh and no i cant get better on my own.   Now i got 2 kids lack of sleep. And when im stressed im in candy too much.

Codysmom2106
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this

That's awful! I'm so sorry. I hope you feel better soon. I'm the last one to go to the drs for anything. I've been trying to do better but it's tough. 

Mipsy
by Chelle on Jan. 7, 2014 at 12:03 AM
Oh no I am so sorry! Ear infections as an adult are absolutely miserable!!! My drs told me to take something so my sinuses and drained and its helped any time my ears start hurting again and I am racking my brain but I can't remember. Eck!!! But maybe try some sinus meds that increase drainage not try and dry it up. It was something about the eustacean tubes draining I believe. Omg massive brain fart, so sorry!

But yes I don't take care of myself well at all sadly. I landed in the hospital nearly intubated from bronchitis causing a severe asthma attack, I didn't take my regular asthma meds. I'm still not as good as I should, but getting better. My main focus is my weight and losing it
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 12:55 AM
I am the last one to go to the dr. If i not really really sick I just push on thru and hope for the best.
I hope this goes away fast for you. I don't know anything to help with an ear infection.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 7, 2014 at 6:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm so sorry to hear this!  Hugs!  Hope you feel better soon:)

jjamom
by Michele on Jan. 7, 2014 at 7:50 AM
That really stinks! I hope you are able to control the pain until you can get to the Dr. I like Ibuprofen much better for pain, it works faster and longer. Do you have any?

I am the same way, really to the point of stupidity about it, because I am neglecting really important issues. I know my kids need me and yet I don't take proper care of myself. I had a few years where I had a chronic issue going on and had to go to the Dr a LOT and then ended up having surgery, and I just hate going to the Dr now. I got so burned out in it. But, I know I am being stupid for being neglectful. :(
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 8:18 AM

They do hurt!  Now I understand why docs always say they get worse at night and why I always end up taking my little ones in at night time for them as I don't see them up set during the day.  Ugh, laying down on a pillow was like going through a pressure tunnel.  I had to prop up in a chair and still was not a great nights sleep.  This morning my one ear is about down to 1/2 it's hearing.  Hitting urgent care as soon as it opens and having my parents come watch the kids. 

On my goodness you sound like me.  Why is it so hard to remember to take my asthma meds every day?  It's like I remember on the days I feel I need them with attacks coming on, but not on the days I don't have one.  Augh!! Gotta get a plan here! 

Quoting Mipsy: Oh no I am so sorry! Ear infections as an adult are absolutely miserable!!! My drs told me to take something so my sinuses and drained and its helped any time my ears start hurting again and I am racking my brain but I can't remember. Eck!!! But maybe try some sinus meds that increase drainage not try and dry it up. It was something about the eustacean tubes draining I believe. Omg massive brain fart, so sorry!

But yes I don't take care of myself well at all sadly. I landed in the hospital nearly intubated from bronchitis causing a severe asthma attack, I didn't take my regular asthma meds. I'm still not as good as I should, but getting better. My main focus is my weight and losing it

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Yes, that is totally me...push through!  Now I'm in trouble for it.  But will hit urgent care today! 

Quoting Linagma03: I am the last one to go to the dr. If i not really really sick I just push on thru and hope for the best.
I hope this goes away fast for you. I don't know anything to help with an ear infection.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 8:23 AM

That is me EXACTLY!!  I have a couple things I really need to address, that I just haven't hit the priority list and can't be down medically for a 6 week surgery recovery.  So I keep pushing on...Not good.  Gotta figure out a plan to do better as obviously I need to be here for my kids for many years to come!!!

We do have ibuprofen, and that is my total favorite too.  But I have developed high blood pressure over the years with the triplets and extra stress so they don't want me taking that with my bp meds, just tylonal.  But I did take one dose last night to sleep.  Then back to tylonal this morning.  Urgent care opens in a couple of hours, and then I'm sure I'll get drops to clear this up.

Maybe all us ladies should have made a New Years pack to take better care of OURSELVES!!!  Although, I'd have already failed, lol! 

Quoting jjamom: That really stinks! I hope you are able to control the pain until you can get to the Dr. I like Ibuprofen much better for pain, it works faster and longer. Do you have any?

I am the same way, really to the point of stupidity about it, because I am neglecting really important issues. I know my kids need me and yet I don't take proper care of myself. I had a few years where I had a chronic issue going on and had to go to the Dr a LOT and then ended up having surgery, and I just hate going to the Dr now. I got so burned out in it. But, I know I am being stupid for being neglectful. :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)