Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Anyone else not very good at taking care of THEMSELVES??

Posted by   + Show Post

I think I may have made the wrong choice.  So, I woke up this morning with an ear ache, but kind of ignored it.  A couple hours later both ears hurt and itched.  But, school was cancelled today as I'm in the -50 or something like that wind chill area.  That means kids are home, and I need to be here to take care of them, can't go out to doctor, and it's way to cold so who wants to go out today.  So take some Tylenol and keep on moving.  Hubs gets home later than I thought he would and by then urgent cares are closed.  I start googling ear infections and have some heat on it now.  But oh my, it is getting worse.  Can barely open my mouth without my jaw hurting, both ears are throbbing, , itch. whole head just hurts.  Whoops.  My kids I would have been bundled up and run out there in a heartbeat, but I thought I could get by until tomorrow when kids would be in school - now that is cancelled too.  Augh, messed up.  Anyone know any at home remedies for ear infections?  The heat is not doing it!  Anyone else not very good at taking care of themselves? 

by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 10:05 PM
Replies (11-18):
jjamom
by Michele on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh that stinks! I don't know what I'd do without Ibuprofen, as Tylenol just does nothing for me.

I don't know why we Moms of this, it makes no sense in the grand scheme of things.

Hope you get to Urgent Care today!

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

That is me EXACTLY!!  I have a couple things I really need to address, that I just haven't hit the priority list and can't be down medically for a 6 week surgery recovery.  So I keep pushing on...Not good.  Gotta figure out a plan to do better as obviously I need to be here for my kids for many years to come!!!

We do have ibuprofen, and that is my total favorite too.  But I have developed high blood pressure over the years with the triplets and extra stress so they don't want me taking that with my bp meds, just tylonal.  But I did take one dose last night to sleep.  Then back to tylonal this morning.  Urgent care opens in a couple of hours, and then I'm sure I'll get drops to clear this up.

Maybe all us ladies should have made a New Years pack to take better care of OURSELVES!!!  Although, I'd have already failed, lol! 

Quoting jjamom: That really stinks! I hope you are able to control the pain until you can get to the Dr. I like Ibuprofen much better for pain, it works faster and longer. Do you have any?

I am the same way, really to the point of stupidity about it, because I am neglecting really important issues. I know my kids need me and yet I don't take proper care of myself. I had a few years where I had a chronic issue going on and had to go to the Dr a LOT and then ended up having surgery, and I just hate going to the Dr now. I got so burned out in it. But, I know I am being stupid for being neglectful. :(

aakeiser
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 12:42 PM
Try a little sweet oil with heat. It is an old one.
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 3:44 PM
Yeah. I actually blew out my ear drum ignoring an ear infection. Still didn't go to the Dr and I had blood coming from my ear. So I'm not a great one to ask lol. Sinus meds do help, but try mucinex or something like that that loosens, not benedryl to dry. Hot showers/steam can help. And try a heating pad across your eyes, sinus area, instead of on your ears.
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Yep, apparently I did the same thing.  Doc chewed me out left and right at how I won't be able to take care of my kids if I don't take care of myself.  I KNOW that, doesn't mean I follow it the best.  Hurts like a Bi*** though so maybe I'll learn my lesson.   

Quoting arkansasmama08: Yeah. I actually blew out my ear drum ignoring an ear infection. Still didn't go to the Dr and I had blood coming from my ear. So I'm not a great one to ask lol. Sinus meds do help, but try mucinex or something like that that loosens, not benedryl to dry. Hot showers/steam can help. And try a heating pad across your eyes, sinus area, instead of on your ears.

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:26 PM
Yep, its miserable. I'm glad you were smart enough to go in. I hope they gave you some good meds!

I've still not gone and mine acts up once in a while lol

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Yep, apparently I did the same thing.  Doc chewed me out left and right at how I won't be able to take care of my kids if I don't take care of myself.  I KNOW that, doesn't mean I follow it the best.  Hurts like a Bi*** though so maybe I'll learn my lesson.   

Quoting arkansasmama08: Yeah. I actually blew out my ear drum ignoring an ear infection. Still didn't go to the Dr and I had blood coming from my ear. So I'm not a great one to ask lol. Sinus meds do help, but try mucinex or something like that that loosens, not benedryl to dry. Hot showers/steam can help. And try a heating pad across your eyes, sinus area, instead of on your ears.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Yea, I got 2 antibiotics, but no pain meds.  Just tylonal.  Wishing I asked for pain med.  Augh!!  I'd hope it would get better every day though.

Yea, I kind of freak out about the ears.  My daughter is hearing impaired, and now my grandfather as he has aged.  I'd just like to keep my hearing is possible!  Hopefully it will all come back after the ear heals. 

Quoting arkansasmama08: Yep, its miserable. I'm glad you were smart enough to go in. I hope they gave you some good meds!

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:48 PM
Mine did. It rings sometimes and hurts like heck in pressure changes(flying, mountains, rolling down a car window). Otherwise it throbs randomly but not terrible. My last sinus infection I thought I was going to die!

Advil works better for me than Tylenol. Or aspirin if you can take it.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Yea, I got 2 antibiotics, but no pain meds.  Just tylonal.  Wishing I asked for pain med.  Augh!!  I'd hope it would get better every day though.

Yea, I kind of freak out about the ears.  My daughter is hearing impaired, and now my grandfather as he has aged.  I'd just like to keep my hearing is possible!  Hopefully it will all come back after the ear heals. 

Quoting arkansasmama08: Yep, its miserable. I'm glad you were smart enough to go in. I hope they gave you some good meds!

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:52 PM

I agree.  Advil/ibuprofin is way better.  But I have high BP so doc only lets me have tylonal or it messes with my meds.  :(  Not as good!

glad your hearing came back and there was no permanent damage! 

Quoting arkansasmama08: Mine did. It rings sometimes and hurts like heck in pressure changes(flying, mountains, rolling down a car window). Otherwise it throbs randomly but not terrible. My last sinus infection I thought I was going to die!

Advil works better for me than Tylenol. Or aspirin if you can take it.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN