Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

He is in wheelchair but they want him to stand for his job ! ? ! UPDATE

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 1:04 AM
  • 14 Replies

Hi, So a few of you know my boyfriend got a job in Dec. He will be helping grown ups with special needs. They live in this place. But my boyfriend Cory in a wheelchair. But hey the superviser still gave him a job. And she even said if it dont work out she could help him find another job at that place. But the lady really likes him and even said sometime she will have some lady come in and see what he  cant do and see if she can find a way for him to still do his job even in a wheelchair. He has HSP so he cant walk.  Well he feels his main boss dont even like him. She is hard to talk too. Well last week she told cory to bring his leg braces so he can stand and do his job. Um he cant stand that long. He is doing the best he can. Today this lady came in and wrote down everything cory cant do. But he tryed to say hey he can still be in chair and do stuff. He was told No you got to be up standing . Some stuff he said he know he cant do standing. Like if he standing and needs to help someone to bed. He cant do it. He will fall over if he hanging onto and they fall. thanks for letting me vent. But he got the job and they know he in powerchair. Can they really say he needs to be upstanding ? He passed the lifting test but he is strong in the arms. A co worker will even ? him and point out he in a chair . And say how can he do his job cause he cant walk. Im kind of stressed thinking he will loss job. And he loves working and the people.  And the main boss that dont like him. When she heard other boss going to have someone come in and help find a way for him to do his job. She just asks like she dont want it to happen. And he has heard this main boss has fired good people cause she dont like them. And no one above her. At least he has 2 days off to calm down. We both feel the same way . He is a wheelchair and they saying he needs to be up standing ! I just dont understand. And im sorry if you dont understand i have cp and going on lack of sleep. So im wrighing this the only way that i know how to write.   

Sorry i have not wrote back sooner. I have been very dizzy.  But im on meds.  So anyway cory goes back to work today. So he is just going to do his job the best that he can. Yesterday he got a phone call from  another superviser that has been around cory alittle cause 2nd shirt so short handed. That cause no 1 likes the main big boss.And everyone leaves and not comes back. Now you would think someone could fire her but she higher rank then everyone.  So anyway cory must of talked to the nice lady cause when she called. She told him :To go to job interview tuesday. The job is to be the night superviser on his home. He would be higher up but he still under the boss that dont like anyone. So he can still be around his people if they get up at night. But the nice lady said he should have no problem with this job cause on another home they have a superviser and he in a wheelchair. And the staff is full so he should not need to worry about standing to help people ect. Why 3rd  shift not short handed is because that boss is gone at night. But cory said he will run into her cause when she shows up he will be leaving. He just hopes she not the 1 that does the interview.

by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 1:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Jan. 14, 2014 at 7:07 AM
I don't know. I hope it all works out.
jjamom
by Michele on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow, it seems if they hired him, they must have had faith he could do the job. Did he get a job description? Hopefully everything will work out and if he can't do a specific task, that they will find other duties he CAN do instead of firing him. Good luck!
N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Thank you. And i also hope it works out.

Quoting mandee1503: I don't know. I hope it all works out.

N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:22 AM
3 moms liked this

He was told he would be like helping people eat, brush teeth,cook,play games,   give bath   ect. And they would have someone come in and see what they can work out. So he can do job and still be in chair. But its not working like that. Cause lady said no he cant be in chair. He has to stand.   And thank you we need good luck !

Quoting jjamom: Wow, it seems if they hired him, they must have had faith he could do the job. Did he get a job description? Hopefully everything will work out and if he can't do a specific task, that they will find other duties he CAN do instead of firing him. Good luck!

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:49 PM
3 moms liked this
Ok. First of all, if they fire him because he is in a wheelchair and they're demanding he stand up instead, take them to court and sue the fire out of them. That is so very illegal.

secondly, is there a different manager or supervisor he can talk to about this person? Does he work with whoever hired him or someone else?
letstalk747
by Joy on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:13 PM

this

Quoting jjamom: Wow, it seems if they hired him, they must have had faith he could do the job. Did he get a job description? Hopefully everything will work out and if he can't do a specific task, that they will find other duties he CAN do instead of firing him. Good luck!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 15, 2014 at 6:08 AM

I totally agree here.  Hugs mama!

Quoting arkansasmama08: Ok. First of all, if they fire him because he is in a wheelchair and they're demanding he stand up instead, take them to court and sue the fire out of them. That is so very illegal.

secondly, is there a different manager or supervisor he can talk to about this person? Does he work with whoever hired him or someone else?

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Jan. 15, 2014 at 11:40 AM
Yeah, if he gets fired, I would speak to a discrimination attorney!
Cindy18
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 6:15 PM

I was thinking this very thing. If they hired him knowing he was in a wheelchair then I would think it is very illegal to fire him because of it. AND it is very unsafe to insist that he stand when he can't!! 

Quoting arkansasmama08:
Ok. First of all, if they fire him because he is in a wheelchair and they're demanding he stand up instead, take them to court and sue the fire out of them. That is so very illegal.

Cindy

N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:39 AM

This lady that dont like him. She is too high up. Other people under her see whats going on but they cant fire her. The lady that hired him is very nice but she dont work in the homes. She just hires people. And i just did an update. sorry i been sick so dont want to keep wrighting.

Quoting arkansasmama08: Ok. First of all, if they fire him because he is in a wheelchair and they're demanding he stand up instead, take them to court and sue the fire out of them. That is so very illegal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN