Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Switching to a new dr

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:09 PM
  • 26 Replies
So our pedi only takes our insurance and not our secondary state insurance. So the bill is always high. I called the clinic about getting Jacob in for his nasty cough. The first available appt is the end of jan beginning of February. I can't afford to fork over 70-90 an appt and Jacob needs to be seen. I hate this. I am almost tempted to take him to the children's er.
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jjamom
by Michele on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:56 PM
That's crazy! He needs to be seen sooner than that. Our Ped sees patients same day for illness and on off hours, we have an after hours medical care place that is affiliated with our Peds practice.
mandee1503
by Amanda on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:05 PM

There is a walk in at the hospital, but it's not solely pediatric. I don't want to take him there. The flu is bad in our area right now. We have had over 50 deaths already this month. 

Quoting jjamom: That's crazy! He needs to be seen sooner than that. Our Ped sees patients same day for illness and on off hours, we have an after hours medical care place that is affiliated with our Peds practice.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, that is a high cost per visit with insurance!  And to have to wait 2-3 weeks for a sick kid with a cough.  Um, no.  They should be seeing him sooner.  I hope you find a good plan b! 

jjamom
by Michele on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:36 PM
Yeah, I don't blame you for that. I heard last year on the news some tips on a segment about avoiding the flu. One tip was to get the first appt in the am, because you will be first in that day and everything will have been sterilized and cleaned overnight. I did that with my son. He had a double ear infection, so I called the evening before and got the first avail appt in the am (it was a Sunday, so it was the after hours place I was talking about). Worked like a charm. No one was there yet when we arrived and no wait time since they were not yet behind schedule or bombarded with sick kids! Just a thought. Is there anywhere near you dedicated to urgent care for kids?

Quoting mandee1503:

There is a walk in at the hospital, but it's not solely pediatric. I don't want to take him there. The flu is bad in our area right now. We have had over 50 deaths already this month. 

Quoting jjamom: That's crazy! He needs to be seen sooner than that. Our Ped sees patients same day for illness and on off hours, we have an after hours medical care place that is affiliated with our Peds practice.

mandee1503
by Amanda on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Thanks! I might either bite the bullet and see our pedi, or venture out an hour away to the ER. 

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Wow, that is a high cost per visit with insurance!  And to have to wait 2-3 weeks for a sick kid with a cough.  Um, no.  They should be seeing him sooner.  I hope you find a good plan b! 

mandee1503
by Amanda on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I dont know about children only. I haven't heard of one. Would be nice if they did have one. Make dealing with his medical issues easier. 

Quoting jjamom: Yeah, I don't blame you for that. I heard last year on the news some tips on a segment about avoiding the flu. One tip was to get the first appt in the am, because you will be first in that day and everything will have been sterilized and cleaned overnight. I did that with my son. He had a double ear infection, so I called the evening before and got the first avail appt in the am (it was a Sunday, so it was the after hours place I was talking about). Worked like a charm. No one was there yet when we arrived and no wait time since they were not yet behind schedule or bombarded with sick kids! Just a thought. Is there anywhere near you dedicated to urgent care for kids?

Quoting mandee1503:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 17, 2014 at 6:07 AM

Hugs mama...I'm sorry Jacob is sick:(  Hope you get him seen soon.  Keep us posted!

mandee1503
by Amanda on Jan. 17, 2014 at 6:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks. His pedi was on call last night so he put in an order of tamiflu. We will see how he looks and sounds today if it's still bad we will take him to the er. It didn't solve the clinic issue but at least I have a direction to go in.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Hugs mama...I'm sorry Jacob is sick:(  Hope you get him seen soon.  Keep us posted!

karenl
by Karen on Jan. 17, 2014 at 12:24 PM

That is crazy! Glad to see you got the Tamiflu. Hope he feels better soon!!! ((hugs))

mandee1503
by Amanda on Jan. 17, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Thanks. The only real difference I'm seeing so far is his temp dropped minimally.

Quoting karenl:

That is crazy! Glad to see you got the Tamiflu. Hope he feels better soon!!! ((hugs))

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)