Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Mom Says School Won't Let Her 8-Year-Old Autistic Son Read the Bible

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 4:11 PM
  • 37 Replies

Mom Says School Won't Let Her 8-Year-Old Autistic Son Read the Bible

by Mary Fischer 

Jason Cross

In today's edition of things that are just plain mean and messed up, supposedly an 8-year-old autistic boy has been forbidden to bring his Bible to school, you know -- because it's not "appropriate" for him to read or whatever.

When Jessica Cross' son Jason came home from school upset, she asked him what was bothering him. That's when he told her that he was not permitted to bring his Bible to school to read during free time because it's for church, not for the classroom.

Check out this video to hear more.

Video here

Philadelphia News, Weather and Sports from WTXF FOX 29

Ok, so it sounds like this mom has had other problems with her son's school for quite some time (which are pretty darn horrible if they're true) -- but let's focus on the Bible issue, which is just plain ridiculous if you ask me.

I know there's the whole separation of church and state thing, but it's not like he's bringing the book to school and reading it in front of the entire class. It's simply what he chooses to read during his free time. Quite honestly, there are a lot worse things Jason could be interested in. It's the Bible, for crying out loud -- not something offensive and/or violent that could potentially have a bad influence on his behavior or attitude toward others.

If Jason really was told that he has to leave his favorite book at home from now on, this sounds like a case of school officials using their power simply because they CAN -- not because they actually think the Bible presents a problem.

Hopefully they'll reconsider and come to the realization that if it's something he enjoys reading, no one should have a problem with it, least of all the people in his life who are supposed to be encouraging an interest in reading.

Do you think Jason should be allowed to read his Bible?

by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Irislady17
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 5:31 PM
My daughter is not special ed so it may be different. But in her school no "home" items are allowed. So no books, no toys, or stuffed animals, or anything that could be lost or damaged on school property. It may be less the fact that it was a bible, and more an issue of not bringing in any outside items?
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I think if he wants to read the words they can photocopy a book at a time.. i dnt think its an appropriate book for public school. 

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 8:58 PM
I dont see why its not? School libraries can carry Harry Potter, explicit romance novels and books like Goosebumps, but a kid can't bring a religious book? What if a Muslim kid brought a Qur'an? Do you think they'd forbid it or allow it?

Quoting SamMom912:

I think if he wants to read the words they can photocopy a book at a time.. i dnt think its an appropriate book for public school. 

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I dont think the Qur'an or the torah or the bible belong at school inless it is in a class for religion, my opinion. I think they are all great books, I just think it should remain at home and not at public school. 

Quoting arkansasmama08: I dont see why its not? School libraries can carry Harry Potter, explicit romance novels and books like Goosebumps, but a kid can't bring a religious book? What if a Muslim kid brought a Qur'an? Do you think they'd forbid it or allow it?

Quoting SamMom912:

mandee1503
by Amanda on Jan. 29, 2014 at 10:34 PM
2 moms liked this
I think he should be allowed to read whatever he wants. (Age appropriate of course)
LADYxGHOST
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 10:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Why, it is a book. Schools should encourage reading in children. My ds took his Bible to school for weeks. No one had an issue with it. He read it during free reading and recess.  I was advised that the school was not responsible if it was lost or stolen (however that was the case for any item brought to school)

based on your logic a child can not read a book that's subject matter doesn not relate to a school subject. makes for a pretty boring reading list and rules out most books that are not resourse materials.

Quoting SamMom912:

I dont think the Qur'an or the torah or the bible belong at school inless it is in a class for religion, my opinion. I think they are all great books, I just think it should remain at home and not at public school. 

Quoting arkansasmama08: I dont see why its not? School libraries can carry Harry Potter, explicit romance novels and books like Goosebumps, but a kid can't bring a religious book? What if a Muslim kid brought a Qur'an? Do you think they'd forbid it or allow it?

Quoting SamMom912:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I think he should be allowed to read whatever he wants to as long as it's age appropriate.  

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:12 AM

I live in NY, just outside the city. We live in an extremely diverse area. I grew up here (within 2 hr radius) and we have a,ways been taught a very separate line between public and private exists. That means religion stays at home. Our schools try desperatly to not offend with any and all breaks... Its pretty rare to see a christmas tree without a menorah, a kinara or any other religous holiday symbol.. And STILL someone is offended. A teacher at our school YEARS ago was offended by red and green non denominational wrapping paper.. (It had no cross or santa) She was athiest and filed a complaint about it and now any gift given in the school, parents/pta are all super careful about how things are wrapped. Its crazy here....

I just was raised to believe religion stays at home, and the bible is a part of religion. 

Quoting LADYxGHOST:

Why, it is a book. Schools should encourage reading in children. My ds took his Bible to school for weeks. No one had an issue with it. He read it during free reading and recess.  I was advised that the school was not responsible if it was lost or stolen (however that was the case for any item brought to school)

based on your logic a child can not read a book that's subject matter doesn not relate to a school subject. makes for a pretty boring reading list and rules out most books that are not resourse materials.

Quoting SamMom912:

Quoting SamMom912:

LADYxGHOST
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 5:05 PM

I do have to say that is idiotic. If I lived my life by not doing anything that offended people, well I wouldn;'t be able to live a life. As some point get a back bone. Just becasue you where raised that way does not make it so, your thinking is just as shollow minded as your examples. 

Quoting SamMom912:

I live in NY, just outside the city. We live in an extremely diverse area. I grew up here (within 2 hr radius) and we have a,ways been taught a very separate line between public and private exists. That means religion stays at home. Our schools try desperatly to not offend with any and all breaks... Its pretty rare to see a christmas tree without a menorah, a kinara or any other religous holiday symbol.. And STILL someone is offended. A teacher at our school YEARS ago was offended by red and green non denominational wrapping paper.. (It had no cross or santa) She was athiest and filed a complaint about it and now any gift given in the school, parents/pta are all super careful about how things are wrapped. Its crazy here....

I just was raised to believe religion stays at home, and the bible is a part of religion. 

Quoting LADYxGHOST:

Quoting SamMom912:

Quoting SamMom912:

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Ok. Youre entitled to your opinion. I think as an individual you can pffend people, as a district, you cant. 

I think we will agree to disagree. Wishing you all the best. 

Quoting LADYxGHOST:

I do have to say that is idiotic. If I lived my life by not doing anything that offended people, well I wouldn;'t be able to live a life. As some point get a back bone. Just becasue you where raised that way does not make it so, your thinking is just as shollow minded as your examples. 

Quoting SamMom912:

Quoting LADYxGHOST:

Quoting SamMom912:

Quoting SamMom912:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN