Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Verbal apraxia just diagnosed

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:54 PM
  • 10 Replies
My 3 year old son was just diagnosed with verbal apraxia by the developmental pediatrician. He has been receiving speech therapy for a year and still has only 10-15 word approximations. Does anyone have experience with this diagnosis? I worry so much about how he just keeps getting farther & farther behind his peers.
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Hugs mama!  I would make sure to let his speech therapist know about his new diagnosis so she can plan accordingly.  You might want to consider increasing his therapy if you all think that will help.  My son is 5 years old and is nonverbal so I don't have any experience.  Hugs!

letstalk747
by Joy on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:24 PM

i know how ya feel , what letters are the hardest for  him ? and has his hearing been checked ?

MoeMoe01
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:36 PM
Thank you! I let the therapist know. The doctor recommended 3-5 times a week plus OT & PT for low muscle tone. It feels a bit overwhelming. How does your son communicate?

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Hugs mama!  I would make sure to let his speech therapist know about his new diagnosis so she can plan accordingly.  You might want to consider increasing his therapy if you all think that will help.  My son is 5 years old and is nonverbal so I don't have any experience.  Hugs!

MoeMoe01
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, his hearing is normal. His speech sounds are still rudimentary. He primarily has the vowel sounds, b, m, n, and very occasionally d. That is it.

Quoting letstalk747:

i know how ya feel , what letters are the hardest for  him ? and has his hearing been checked ?

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Hugs!  It is overwhelming but you will get through...I promise!  My son is Autistic with the brain of a 12-18 month old.  We are using a PECs system right now...he does pretty well with it but we are still in the early stages.  Honestly, I can predict what he wants or needs and I usually don't give him an opportunity to tell me much.  He's on a VERY strict schedule with all his medications, treatments, and tube feeds.  He has Cystic Fibrosis and is fed through a g-tube.  So he has more medical issues that take precedence over developmental things...if that makes sense.  

Quoting MoeMoe01: Thank you! I let the therapist know. The doctor recommended 3-5 times a week plus OT & PT for low muscle tone. It feels a bit overwhelming. How does your son communicate?

Quoting darbyakeep45:

MoeMoe01
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:43 PM
That does make sense. My heart goes out to you! I understand what you mean about sensing what your son needs. I do that too. We are very fortunate, my little guy is very good at using gestures, pointing, and facial expressions to communicate. However he struggles with sign language just as much as with speech. What is PEC?

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Hugs!  It is overwhelming but you will get through...I promise!  My son is Autistic with the brain of a 12-18 month old.  We are using a PECs system right now...he does pretty well with it but we are still in the early stages.  Honestly, I can predict what he wants or needs and I usually don't give him an opportunity to tell me much.  He's on a VERY strict schedule with all his medications, treatments, and tube feeds.  He has Cystic Fibrosis and is fed through a g-tube.  So he has more medical issues that take precedence over developmental things...if that makes sense.  

Quoting MoeMoe01: Thank you! I let the therapist know. The doctor recommended 3-5 times a week plus OT & PT for low muscle tone. It feels a bit overwhelming. How does your son communicate?

Quoting darbyakeep45:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Picture Exchange Communication System

It's basically using pictures to communicate.  It's worked the best for my son!

Quoting MoeMoe01: That does make sense. My heart goes out to you! I understand what you mean about sensing what your son needs. I do that too. We are very fortunate, my little guy is very good at using gestures, pointing, and facial expressions to communicate. However he struggles with sign language just as much as with speech. What is PEC?

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Irislady17
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this
((Hugs)) My almost 7yo was diagnosed with apraxia at around 2.5. At that time she was just starting to put vowel consonant sounds together.
At 3 she said her first real and clear word (mama). That was with over a year of speech therapy. She was in st from right before her 2nd birthday until she was 4.5.
Once we got the dx of apraxia things got a lot better. The therapist was able to take a different approach to helping her, we were also able to go from 2x to 4x a week.
It is alot of work I know, and overwhelming at times. But it does get better!
My daughter is now almost 7 and in first grade, she is able to keep up and even exceed some of the first grade set goals. She is no longer in any kind of therapy and honestly I wouldn't even consider her SN anymore she does so well. The only time you can tell is if she is overly tired or stressed out.
It takes a lot of work in therapy and out of therapy too, but it does get better and easier.
It may take a little longer than most kids but he will catch up to his peers, so try not to worry to much. (Hard if not impossible I know) And good luck.
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this

my friend Ks son E had apraxia, She needed to find a special speech therapist to help him. Within 6 months of the special speech he was speaking, He was 4 when this started.. He is now in 1st grade, mainstreamed and doing fantastic! 

raysma07
by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

My son is in speech therapy and has been since he was 2 doing well now but we had to increase his therapy for awhile and it really helped try that I am sure the theripist won't mind!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)