Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

laughing at everything and nothing?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:10 AM
  • 14 Replies
Zack has started laughing at everything. Its driving me crazy and I can't get him to stop. He was laughing during our schoolwork yesterday. At the dog because she laid down. At me when I was scolding him for something.
help? Advice?
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Could he b in his own head and not really paying much mind to reality? 

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:02 PM
No, he's paying attention.

Quoting SamMom912:

Could he b in his own head and not really paying much mind to reality? 

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:32 PM

hmmm.  no clue. Is he the older one?  If so, just ask him why he's doing it and see what he comes back with.  I mean ASD kids do display inappropriate emotions at the wrong times, maybe that's all it is. 

jjamom
by Michele on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:50 PM
Could he be trying to annoy you or get your attention?

My son a few mos ago started this thing where he laughs this laugh with his tongue sticking out and then says he's being Camryn (a little girl in his class). When he does it, it is very annoying and I cannot get him to stop. I have started just saying "yes, I know, you're being Camryn" and then otherwise ignoring it. I think it makes him stop faster, LOL!

ETA: I don't think he is trying to make fun of her, as much as imitating her, but I really hope he doesn't do that at school! She is the other 2nd grader in his MINC class.
letstalk747
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:33 PM

my kids do this off and on , its like they are in their own world-  they cant help it

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:51 PM
Yes, he's 7. I've asked him and all he says is he can't help it. But the only time he's laughing is when I need him to be serious.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

hmmm.  no clue. Is he the older one?  If so, just ask him why he's doing it and see what he comes back with.  I mean ASD kids do display inappropriate emotions at the wrong times, maybe that's all it is. 

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Could be something, but could just be part of ASD in him.  That is one of the 'red flags' our developmental pedi asked about and checks for. 

Quoting arkansasmama08: Yes, he's 7. I've asked him and all he says is he can't help it. But the only time he's laughing is when I need him to be serious.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:31 PM
Dang. I was hoping it was something fixable lol. Does yours do it? How do you handle it?

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Could be something, but could just be part of ASD in him.  That is one of the 'red flags' our developmental pedi asked about and checks for. 

Quoting arkansasmama08: Yes, he's 7. I've asked him and all he says is he can't help it. But the only time he's laughing is when I need him to be serious.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:42 PM

LOL!  I understand!!!  He has done it on occasion (usually at a time you are suppose to be being very quiet, lol!)  He does not do it often.  I just try to explain and make him aware what is appropriate to do instead.  Sometimes he can then replace the laughter with the correct behavior, it takes multiple attempts of this lesson unfortunately though. 

Quoting arkansasmama08: Dang. I was hoping it was something fixable lol. Does yours do it? How do you handle it?

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 6, 2014 at 6:11 AM

My son laughs just about all the time as well...even during inappropriate times.  I chalk it up to the way his brain was formed and his Autism.  There isn't much I can do about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)