Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son had a seizure

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:22 PM
  • 10 Replies
I found him in his room very shallow breathing I called 911 they came and life flighted him I'm shaken up so bad and I can't relax. Do they start having seizures later on he's 12 I'm all new to this I don't know what I'm doing they put him on Trileptal is this a good med? He's been home a week from school I don't dare to send him back
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:23 PM
I'm so sorry Mama. The first seizure is beyond terrifying. You're in my thoughts! Triple petal is fine. All seizure meds have their good and bad effects. Make sure you talk to the school nurse and have diastat at home and at school in case he has another one! *HUGS*
mandee1503
by Amanda on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:42 PM

I'm so sorry momma. As long as he's been released school is fine, just talk to the nurse and one anyone else in charge about taking emergency medicine and leaving it there. 

jjamom
by Michele on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:04 PM
My niece started having seizures around that age. She is now in her late 20's and has been on seizure meds since they started. Once in a while they will change her dose or the med and she'll start to seize again. When she was in college, they would only change her meds when she was home on break, because they didnt want her to have any seizure activity while away from home. Her father is a neurologist. They've said puberty can sometimes trigger a seizure disorder. My FIL also had a seizure disorder, but I am unsure when his began. I don't know anything about tripleptal.
letstalk747
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:28 PM

OMG , keep us posted how he is doing ok

Linagma03
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Lina had her first major seizure at 7 while in school. That was the scariest phone call I've ever gotten. She was started on Keppra and later Trileptol was added. So far she has done fine on them and has had no side effects at all. The last major seizure that put her in the hospital I was told to keep her home for a week to give the new doseage of medication to get built up in her system and if she wasn't having any seizures she could go back to school. If was having any kind of seizures I was to call him and report them so he could decide what to do.

You need to call the Dr and ask if he can go back to school. Then call the school and find out what the protocol is for a child with seizure disorder and having DiaStat at school. Something you will have to check with the Dr is if he wants there to be a nurse on duty during school hours if so and your son's school doesn't have an RN or LPN on duty everyday then he may have to be moved to another school. So you need to get answers before sending him back to school.

Trileptol does have some side effects and you need to watch for them but most people do well on it with little or no side effects at all.

Has he been diagnosed with anything before having this seizure? Good Luck Momma and keep us posted.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:34 PM

I'm so sorry Mama.  That is scary!!!  My daughter had 1 seizure at age 3, she is now 5 and we still carry an emergency seizure med, but she has not had another.  Seizures are scary, no matter what.  But there is also good medication to control them!  As seizure free days pass, your fear will lessen and you'll both get back to normal activities.  Best of luck! 

sunshine646
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:19 PM
Iam sorry about your son haveing a sizure. My son had sizures from age2to age 16. My grandson has sizures also. He had his first one when two heis now six .
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 6, 2014 at 6:07 AM

Welcome and hugs mama!  My son has Gelastric Epilepsy and he was originally on Trileptal but he didn't respond well to it so they switched him to Topamax.  I honestly think seizures can start at any time in your life.  Hugs!

singlemotherof8
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 8:40 AM

My granddaughter had her first seizure at  age 7 also but she was home sick. I called dispatch and they sent an ambulance. I was also very scared because i had never seen them except on tv. After we got to the er they started asking me questions until she had another one. They kept her over night and she didn't have another for a few months. It was then that they started her on keppra and she has been on them sense. I was also scared to send her back to school and whenever i get a call from the school that is the first thing i think of. They don't have a nurse at any of the schools or charter schools here in Idaho Falls where we live. They still haven't figure out why she had them either.

moms4qts
by New Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 11:32 AM
They can't give him the distat at school until I've used it and he responds well to it it's one of their policy's I guess. Im meeting with the neurologist next week so I will talk to him about that they gave me some emergency nasal spray that's supposed to stop a seizure but they can't give him that either at school. I'm confused hopefully I get more answers next week
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)