Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ear infection How come he dont notice they hurt ?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:43 PM
  • 22 Replies

So this week Jacob started getting sick. Coughing and fever. Wanted to take him yesterday to doc but weather bad cause of snow and wind. So we been giving him meds for cough and tylenol for fever but wont go down much. Then goes back up. Took him to doc today . His cough is bad so doc gave him a shot.  But she look in 1 ear. She said it bad. She look in other ear. Oh this 1 is a lot worse. She always ask. dont he act like they hurt ? He dont pull on them. He is fine laying down. He dont cry and he sleeps fine when not coughing. It got  me thinking is it cause of his autism ? he has a past of having ear infections. And i dont understand why it happens everytime he gets sick ? Doc said it normal it happens . She gave me note to keep him home tomorrow from school. He can talk alittle. And if he hurts like brother hit him with a toy he will cry. So anyone any clue why he dont notice his ears hurt ? Even when a baby tooth ready to come out. He will play with it untill he gets it out. If upset tummy he will put his  hand on tummy and rub.he is on meds for 2 weeks then take him back to doc to recheck ears. We finally going to talk to her about putting tubes in like when he out of school in may. I think they will send us to another hospital out of town. I dont think r hospital could deal with him. He freaks out near doctors.     And he on breathing treatments 3 times a day. He freaks out. I put him in a bear hug and daddy does the mask but he moves head and try to use his head to hit mine. So any advice thank you. 

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Linagma03
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:05 AM
Hugs Momma! I wish I had some advice for you.
letstalk747
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:06 AM
1 mom liked this

maybe his throat over hurts his ears

can he try the mouthpiece instead of the mask for the nebulizer ?you can make it like fun blowing the mist in and out of the mouthpiece

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:17 AM
Some kids with autism or sensory issues react to input differently. I've been surprised by ear infections too.
JustaMom86
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:35 AM

My son doesn't have autism but he's had so many ear infections and surgeries on his ears he won't tell me they hurt because he doesn't want me to take him into the doctor for them. Also if there too plugged or there's alot of them the ent told me that they kind of get use to that feeling. So it becomes normal for him. He's five and I don't think he's really hasn't reacted to them since he was a baby. Once we had no fevers and his ear got so infected it started bleeding! I had no idea because he doesn't react to them either. There very strong, if you get tubes done, we had two sets getting ready for the third it will make his ears alot more sensitive. And you have to be very careful for getting water and stuff in them. If his ears are really bad it might be part of the reason he doesn't talk other then autism. If they have alot of ear infections and fluid behind there ear's they told me it sounds like there underwater, so stuff you say come's in more mumbled sounding. Like someone talking to you if you where underwater in a pool or bath making it hard to pick up on talking. I hope this helps some

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 6, 2014 at 6:01 AM

Hugs mama!  When my son gets ear infections, he doesn't indicate anything is wrong either..no idea why!

N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:35 AM

Thats ok and thanks for hug.

Quoting Linagma03: Hugs Momma! I wish I had some advice for you.

N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I forgot about that. will try today but in past he kept mouth shut.   But thank you for advice

Quoting letstalk747:

maybe his throat over hurts his ears

can he try the mouthpiece instead of the mask for the nebulizer ?you can make it like fun blowing the mist in and out of the mouthpiece

GarrettRIP
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Some kids with special needs have a high tolerance for pain
Maybe he's just scared of going to the pedi.
N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:42 AM

I dont know why but it hit me yesterday he has autism and he has sensory problems. He wont wear  socks ect. So i got thinking maybe sensory with his ears ?  So thats why i had to ask. nice to know im not alone.

Quoting arkansasmama08: Some kids with autism or sensory issues react to input differently. I've been surprised by ear infections too.

N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:48 AM

Thank you soo much for all of the info.

Quoting JustaMom86:

My son doesn't have autism but he's had so many ear infections and surgeries on his ears he won't tell me they hurt because he doesn't want me to take him into the doctor for them. Also if there too plugged or there's alot of them the ent told me that they kind of get use to that feeling. So it becomes normal for him. He's five and I don't think he's really hasn't reacted to them since he was a baby. Once we had no fevers and his ear got so infected it started bleeding! I had no idea because he doesn't react to them either. There very strong, if you get tubes done, we had two sets getting ready for the third it will make his ears alot more sensitive. And you have to be very careful for getting water and stuff in them. If his ears are really bad it might be part of the reason he doesn't talk other then autism. If they have alot of ear infections and fluid behind there ear's they told me it sounds like there underwater, so stuff you say come's in more mumbled sounding. Like someone talking to you if you where underwater in a pool or bath making it hard to pick up on talking. I hope this helps some

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)