Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can you deal with your kids if your DH/SO is away?

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 5:53 PM
  • 18 Replies
1 mom liked this

My sister was telling me that she was going to a friend's house to help her get ready for church. When I asked why, she said because she has three kids under 5 years old and really wants to go to church today. I was confused by this. My sister clarified by saying that the dad is out of town for work. 

I just can't imagine why she would need help getting three kids ready for church. I mean if she doesn't get help she can't get to church with three little ones........ 

I never asked for help for something like that. It just blogged my brain. 

by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 5:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this

We all need help with the things we need help with... :) where you and I would think nothing of that.. She needs help.. There are plenty of things Id love help with that others think I can handle.. Lol.. 

Cindy18
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 6:06 PM

I get that. I just that it was odd. 

Quoting SamMom912:

We all need help with the things we need help with... :) where you and I would think nothing of that.. She needs help.. There are plenty of things Id love help with that others think I can handle.. Lol.. 

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Meh.. Some are needier then others... i dont get a lot of help with anything,, my hubby works crazy hours, Im always alone,,, it is what it is,,, so the idea of someone coming over for that was odd.. But figured this woman needs help where you or I wouldnt. :) 

Quoting Cindy18:

I get that. I just that it was odd. 

Quoting SamMom912:

jjamom
by Michele on Feb. 7, 2014 at 6:31 PM
My husband travels a lot and no, I don't ask for help for things like that, but have if I had a doctors appt or something. My DH was deployed to Iraq for 10 months when my two oldest were 5 and 2. I did most everything by myself for that too. BUT, I have a few friends who have a really hard time if their DH is gone for a day or two, even just for the typical school or bedtime routine. I assume it's just a matter of what they are or aren't used to. It's all relative, I guess. :)
Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Um no, I'd be on my own.  Am most of the time even when he is here, so really would not be much different. 

Cindy18
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I know how it is. I guess it is what you are use to. I just wonder how much help the dad gives or if it's the fact that the support is there if needed. 

Quoting jjamom: My husband travels a lot and no, I don't ask for help for things like that, but have if I had a doctors appt or something. My DH was deployed to Iraq for 10 months when my two oldest were 5 and 2. I did most everything by myself for that too. BUT, I have a few friends who have a really hard time if their DH is gone for a day or two, even just for the typical school or bedtime routine. I assume it's just a matter of what they are or aren't used to. It's all relative, I guess. :)

Cindy

Cindy18
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:37 PM

That's kinda how it is in my house too!

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Um no, I'd be on my own.  Am most of the time even when he is here, so really would not be much different. 

trio8707
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I can not, I need the help.  I'm sure I could if my family situation were different, but having 2 severely physically disabled children makes it next to impossible to be alone for more than an hour or so at a time.

Now if DH left to do something with either Blake or Olivia (my 2 with severe CP) and left me with Hayden (no special physical needs) and the other, then I could manage easily.  But with all 3 kids I couldn't, and with just Blake and Olivia I couldn't.  Any other combination is do-able =)

Cindy18
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:29 PM

See, I get why someone with special needs children would need the help. But not just because she has little kids. Just don't understand.

Quoting trio8707:

I can not, I need the help.  I'm sure I could if my family situation were different, but having 2 severely physically disabled children makes it next to impossible to be alone for more than an hour or so at a time.

Now if DH left to do something with either Blake or Olivia (my 2 with severe CP) and left me with Hayden (no special physical needs) and the other, then I could manage easily.  But with all 3 kids I couldn't, and with just Blake and Olivia I couldn't.  Any other combination is do-able =)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:04 AM

I only have one child.  I do everything by myself.  My husband is military, works crazy hours and is gone all the time.  I can't imagine how it would be if I had more than one child though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)