Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

How do you keep from getting overwhelmed?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 4:52 AM
  • 12 Replies

I feel like my lil guy has so much going on. Two therapies a week now, plus swimming to help with hypotonia. They are going to add another therapy, plus potty training. Oh yeah, I also have two other kids and their activities, work the weekends and a husband who has crazy work hours.

And I know that some of you on here have so much more going on! Other than behavioral stuff he is a pretty typical 2 yr old, which we are so grateful for. But still, I get worn out sometimes!

by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 4:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 8, 2014 at 7:50 AM

Hugs mama!  We all get overwhelmed, so you're alone on that.  I have to make sure I get a little alone time each day...if I don't, then my day is greatly affected. Sometimes I get up early before my son gets up to have my coffee and quiet time.  Sometimes I read in the afternoons while he's at school.  But I only have one child so it's a little different for me.  Hugs mama!

Codysmom2106
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:15 AM

One day at a time. Everyone gets overwhelmed sometimes. *hug*

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 9:42 AM

I understand.  I feel overwhelmed all the time.  But, it's what we mother's do for our kids. I don't have a good answer for you.  Take a moment to yourself when you can, bring in some food on a really bad night to give you a night off from cooking.  Cancel a therapy now and then when it's really busy or stressful to take that hour off.  And just keep going!  Hugs, mama!

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Its like eating an elephant... One bite at a time... 

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 10:43 AM
Lol I don't 😉. I've been on survival mode for years lol. I've got 3, all with autism. DD has 3 therapies a week, hopefully adding speech back in soon. Youngest is in preschool, I work part time and we homeschool. We also have church twice a week. Oh, and 2 of our therapies are an hour away lol. So yeah, its crazy. But we've been doing it for so long that its kind of our normal. We try to get a sitter every other Saturday and get in a date night. That's made a huge difference 😊
jjamom
by Michele on Feb. 8, 2014 at 11:57 AM
I don't manage to keep from getting overwhelmed, it just happens, LOL. I have three kids who are in 3 different schools, 3 different stages of life and one with SN. It gets overwhelming at times, and I just deal the best I can!
Cindy18
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 12:19 PM
One day at a time.... Just like everyone else has said, everyone gets overwhelmed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 4:04 PM
I haven't figured out a way to be less stressful except to take some time on my computer and hope no one bothers me. I am hoping that now that all the kids are in their schools and are riding buses so now I am or should be back to a normal schedule of therapy one day a week and allergy shots one day a week. Until my SN girl has to see her doctors.

letstalk747
by Joy on Feb. 8, 2014 at 6:45 PM

huggs , i just keep going

CBMama06
by Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 12:01 AM
Prayer and like PP said taking it one day at a time.. ((Hugs))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN