Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Today is Autism Sunday (2/9)

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 7:41 AM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

Tell us some Positive ways Autism has changed your life.....

by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 7:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 9, 2014 at 8:01 AM
2 moms liked this

LOVE this!  Thanks for sharing:)

My son is Autistic and he's taught me a lot!  He's made me look at all the little things in life:)

jjamom
by Michele on Feb. 9, 2014 at 8:09 AM
1 mom liked this
What a nice post! I love the acronym!

My son doesn't have autism, but I had a student with PDD-NOS. He was the sweetest little kid, and I hate to play favorites, but he was definitely one of my favorites. Prior to starting to teach, I thought I really didn't have enough patience to work with kids with special needs (no bashing please, I was young and really had very little experience with people with SN at that time). Well, he was my student during my second year and he definitely changed my mind about all of that, and I think maybe he was sent to me to sort of prepare me and change my mind before my son was born. I firmly believe in things like that, in the right place at the right time, not by coincidence. Even two years after he was in my class (which was my last year teaching), he would come to my classroom at dismissal time and always have a big smile and a "How you doing, Mrs. G?" That was a tough year for me as I had a tough class that year and I had a baby at home that I missed terribly, and his visit really brightened my day, every day! I think about him a lot and hope he is doing well. I hope life (and people) has been good to him.
mandee1503
by Amanda on Feb. 9, 2014 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for sharing.
Cindy18
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

My oldest son is Autistic. He was diagnosed at 3 years old with PDD-NOS then graduated to autism at 5 years old. 

Think Sheldon Copper with a religious/philiopshy spin and you have my son. 

Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I have this on a shirt!!!

My son with autism has taught me everything and continues to every day!  The view through his eyes is pretty amazing!

coliemamiof2
by New Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Of all things, patience! Not just with my ASD child, but with all of my children.
It has taught me that there are ALWAYS an alternative route than just regular parenting, but children in general (but especially special needs children) need contact, affection, & a special kind of love...to teach & parent through love.
& to always, always, always educate yourself under all circumstances - especially those that deal specifically with your children.
:)
Rust.n.Gears
by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I have autism and so does my son. We're both Aspie's. I actually love it most days. I had a woman who is a Witness tell me that her god would take my autism from me and it actually bothered me. I looked at my husband and said "I would never want that." She didn't get it.

My autism makes me who I am. I'm an artist, a skilled classically trained chef, and a wonderful mom. I survived horrible abuse that I have overcome very well. What is I didn't have this medical condition though? I had a therapist once say that she thought it saved me mentally. She thinks I would be dead without it. I could go into my own little world and make the pain disappear. I could still dream of a world without it and when I was rescued I rebuilt myself in shocking ways.

Would I still be an artist? Would I be able to pick up anything I chose to invest my heart in as easily? Would I have the lack of fear that my husband says I have? Ok not in crowds but in business. Haha.

I don't mind my autism. I actually love it. I wouldn't want myself or my son any other way. Sure we have obstacles but what person doesn't? We're just fine.

love_my_angels
by Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this
My sons teach me new things and patients and new ways of doing things we don't have your typical family it's like we never know what's gonna happen next and a surprise around every corner but I admit I do get over whelmed
letstalk747
by Joy on Feb. 9, 2014 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this

has taught me about love and empathy and patience

letstalk747
by Joy on Feb. 9, 2014 at 3:08 PM

nice to see ya havent for awhile ,

i love your  way of seeing things

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

I have autism and so does my son. We're both Aspie's. I actually love it most days. I had a woman who is a Witness tell me that her god would take my autism from me and it actually bothered me. I looked at my husband and said "I would never want that." She didn't get it.

My autism makes me who I am. I'm an artist, a skilled classically trained chef, and a wonderful mom. I survived horrible abuse that I have overcome very well. What is I didn't have this medical condition though? I had a therapist once say that she thought it saved me mentally. She thinks I would be dead without it. I could go into my own little world and make the pain disappear. I could still dream of a world without it and when I was rescued I rebuilt myself in shocking ways.

Would I still be an artist? Would I be able to pick up anything I chose to invest my heart in as easily? Would I have the lack of fear that my husband says I have? Ok not in crowds but in business. Haha.

I don't mind my autism. I actually love it. I wouldn't want myself or my son any other way. Sure we have obstacles but what person doesn't? We're just fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)