Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

my son is having a really difficult time...update

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 11:35 AM
  • 9 Replies
There has been a lot going on with him. We been trying to figure out whats wrsng at school and he tells me its too loud. The short of it is one person agrees to allow him to wear noise cancelling headphones and another person disagrees. I have conferences today and will discuss it further. I cant bring in a doctor's recommendation, because will be having his speech reevaluated by children's later this month. I will let them know the deal and see what they suggest. 

He came ho me yesterday so upset he just went to bed and didn't want to talk about. It wasn't till I recieve the email I found out what happend. 

He has been going to school for five years and the progression has been so slow, and I feel like he is not moving forward because he has zero confidence in school. We have been working on it for five years and his confidence is far from where he should be.

Im this close to taking him out and trying k-12 online. But I am not sure if this will help or make things worse. Tell me your experience with the program please.

He frustrated, im frustrated and I dont see him finishing school if this continues.

So, it went well and I walked out feeling they are going to move forward with trying to help find ways to improve his attitude and work. They have been noticing the frustartion and that he seems to have hit a plateau.

They are going to have an audiologist come in and see about trying amplifiers. He would have headphones and the teachers would wear a mic. He would be able to hear her more than the distractions around him. Maybe this is what we have been missing, I dont know, but it worth the time to try.
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 11:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mommy2justone
by Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 11:56 AM

We did a virtual academy early last school year and it was SOOO LOUD! The teacher would leave the microphones on for everyone and it was horrible. We ended up leaving a month in because it was so disorganized and my daughter got board waiting for the teacher to figure out her tech stuff. 

She is only in kindergarden though. So it might be different for your lo. 

Good luck

jjamom
by Michele on Feb. 12, 2014 at 12:21 PM
I'm so sorry! I don't see the issue in allowing him to wear the noise canceling headphones, expect for maybe not being able to hear the teacher?

Does he have an IEP? I would suggest getting it included in his IEP as a modification and they can specify if it makes that staff member feel better about it (insert eyeroll here) that he is allowed to wear them except when the teacher is giving directions or presenting direct instruction/lecture. She can give a visual cue (dimming the lights, for example) when she is ready to have the class's attention again.
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Id see if there was a smaller class available. If he is struggling with the noise, it seems as if the class isnt an appropriate fit. Could he have an adjoining classroom to go in when the noise gets to be too much with a tent and a beanbag chair, A quiet place to hang out and recoup. My son has this on his IEP. We also have headphones for assemblys or loud times at school...since they were an issue for him. They feel the headphones make him "stick out like a sore thumb" but my son was crying and running out of the area.. Which is pretty "stick out too.." Lol... 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 12, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Hugs mama!  How old is he?

Lennyloves
by Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 11:18 AM
Bump for update
jjamom
by Michele on Feb. 13, 2014 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm glad they are willing to discuss some options and realize the need for your son to be comfortable enough in his environment to be able to learn and function to the best if his ability. I hope it all works out!
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:40 AM

Glad you're moving forward mama!

Lennyloves
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I am happy they recognized it too. There were plans in place to discuss revamping his iep during conferences, maybe not to this extent but they wanted my input on some things.

I happened to be at the school yesterday and one of his teacher stopped me and said she has already been in contact with the audiologist, so that easied my mind even more. :)

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Glad you're moving forward mama!

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:57 AM
I'm so glad they have recognized the issue and are going to work at trying to find a solution. Good Luck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)