Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is your child's prognosis?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:07 AM
  • 88 Replies

What is your SN child's prognosis?  Do they have a terminal illness?  How do you predict their qualify of life will be as they get older?  Will they ever be able to live on their own or will they live with you?

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rust.n.Gears
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:09 AM
5 moms liked this

My son is an Aspie. He is high functioning and will do just fine. I"m also an Aspie and I was worse than he was at his age. My family was told I would live in with my folks or in a group home forever. I now have three homes, my own business, and a good life.

zadesmom1998
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Ds 15 has aspergers, bipolar, severe anxiety, odd and adhd. He's doing well and has even had a girlfriend but he always says he is never moving out. Ds 10 is missing 2 muscles in his tongue. He didn't say his first word till three and a half. He has been in daioy speech aince 3 he is graduating speech at the end of thi year.
Lennyloves
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:52 AM
Dd is type 1 diabetic and she will be able to function just fine and have a normal life. I just hope she will avoid any hardships thay come with being diabetic. She is 7 now andby the time she 16 or 17 I would love to benbe sure shehas a service dog she can take with her when she move off to college or just simply on her own. Its more for peace of mind for me, but for her a companion.

Mds Im not sure as we are still trying to determine his learning disabilities. He is very visual and hands-on, I dont see traditional college in his future and that's very ok with me. Because of that I think he will spend a little more time at home than the other two, but I do know once he finds something he wants to pursue, he will do a great job at it. I keep telling him, he design and build Lego sets, he is very good at it:)

My oldest he is going to be just fine and a professional football player is his goal in life;)
megs2boys
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:00 AM
4 moms liked this

Sam has many side diagnosis' without an actual main diagnosis to tie them all together so the docs really have no clue what will happen to him as he grows. They said he would probably be a vegetable and would most likely never walk or talk or have any real personality. He is running (wobbly but he's doing it), playing, smiling, still not talking, but babbling and has a larger than life personality! We have learned to never underestimate what he can do. That being said he will never be able to live on his own and I am ok with that. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Good for you...that is awesome!  

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

My son is an Aspie. He is high functioning and will do just fine. I"m also an Aspie and I was worse than he was at his age. My family was told I would live in with my folks or in a group home forever. I now have three homes, my own business, and a good life.

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:39 AM
If Elijah continues to be seizure-free, he will stay around a cognitive age of 4-5yrs. He will never live on his own, but I hope he can hold a simple job someday. If his seizures return, who knows? They cause brain damage and regression and progress until he's having them constantly. I don't think he could live very many years like that unless we found a way to stop them again.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:40 AM

Glad to hear he's graduating from Speech soon...that is wonderful!  Love that your oldest doesn't want to move out...that's cute!

Quoting zadesmom1998: Ds 15 has aspergers, bipolar, severe anxiety, odd and adhd. He's doing well and has even had a girlfriend but he always says he is never moving out. Ds 10 is missing 2 muscles in his tongue. He didn't say his first word till three and a half. He has been in daioy speech aince 3 he is graduating speech at the end of thi year.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:40 AM

He's come SO far...I'm proud of him!

Quoting Elyssa414: If Elijah continues to be seizure-free, he will stay around a cognitive age of 4-5yrs. He will never live on his own, but I hope he can hold a simple job someday. If his seizures return, who knows? They cause brain damage and regression and progress until he's having them constantly. I don't think he could live very many years like that unless we found a way to stop them again.

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:41 AM
Lion- I really don't know. He is constantly changing! He will never live on his own, but I hope he will eventually communicate with his talker- like really communicate.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Service dog for your daughter sounds really smart!

Quoting Lennyloves: Dd is type 1 diabetic and she will be able to function just fine and have a normal life. I just hope she will avoid any hardships thay come with being diabetic. She is 7 now andby the time she 16 or 17 I would love to benbe sure shehas a service dog she can take with her when she move off to college or just simply on her own. Its more for peace of mind for me, but for her a companion.

Mds Im not sure as we are still trying to determine his learning disabilities. He is very visual and hands-on, I dont see traditional college in his future and that's very ok with me. Because of that I think he will spend a little more time at home than the other two, but I do know once he finds something he wants to pursue, he will do a great job at it. I keep telling him, he design and build Lego sets, he is very good at it:)

My oldest he is going to be just fine and a professional football player is his goal in life;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)