Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Chromosome 3

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:12 PM
  • 9 Replies

We found out a few months ago that our 3 year old son has an abnormality on his 3rd chromosome. They told us originally that he has an addition. Of course this was the Neurologist telling us this information. We have not seen the Genetic Counselor yet, the appointment is on Monday.

Does anyone else here have a child with a 3rd chromosome abnormality? I am terrified and I have found very little information on the internet.

Our son also has PDD, Epilepsy, Non-progressive encephalopathy, ADHD and he wears glasses since he was 3 months old. 

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I believe right now that it is the unknown that worries me the most.

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:23 PM
We don't. But here's a bump.
jjamom
by Michele on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:53 PM

No, I don't.  I hope you get a lot of answers when you meet with the geneticist.  My son has Down syndrome (also called trisomy 21), which is an additional copy of chromosome 21.  It affects a lot of things for those who have DS, but it varies a little bit from individual to individual with exactly what and how much it affects it, if that makes sense.  

Let us know what you find out on Monday!

ZorasMommy
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:56 PM
2 moms liked this

Thanks ladies. It helps a lot just knowing there are people out there that care. :)

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Welcome to the group. 

My little one has major extra base pairs on genes on the 10th and 13th chromo. I found while trying to get any information at all about genes and chromo's on the internet that if you 1) don't subscribe to the journals, or 2) you aren't associated with a University you can't get into the more detailed information out there. Then to top it off if there isn't any known person/s with the same condition then you can't find anything anyway. I can't find any information because Lina is the only one with the condition so far. I have to make an appt for her to see the geneticist again, he likes to see her every 5-7 years. He said he wanted to see her again when she was about 10 and she turned 10 in November. 

On Monday when you go to see the genetic counselor if you don't understand something they say stop them and tell them you don't understand, ask lots of questions until you do understand. Chromosome's and genes and what they do is complicated and at times very hard to explain. I asked questions and after we got home I thought of about 100 more. 

Something that might help you is to sit down and write down the questions that you have and that will help you feel more in control but also focuse your mind so that when you go in to the appt you will have a mission and that should also help with the fear of the unknown. 

Good Luck Momma! Keep us posted.

Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:34 PM

When you get your lab report you can submit it to Unique to join on facebook. You should be able to connect with other chromosome 3 families there. Is it on the P arm?

Mummyh
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 4:59 PM
Find out which parts of the chromosome 3 are missing. I found my local genetics lady useless as she had no idea of what the prognosis was.
I went to my rare chromosome branch to find out more and they filled me in with a whole heap more information
Good luck!
JOEJULA
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:18 PM

They say every human has at least 5 chromosome deletions.  It effects us all in different ways. My children have NRXN1 deletion. Which is close to the Chromosome 3 deletion. My daughter also has Albinism which is another genetic deletion. As long as you have a geneticist they will guide you in the right direction.

jjamom
by Michele on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:26 PM
She said they told her it was an addition, which could be a trisomy (three copies) or just part of an additional chromosome. But, I agree, the geneticist will hopefully be able to tell her some of the things associated with chromosome 3 additions.

Quoting JOEJULA:

They say every human has at least 5 chromosome deletions.  It effects us all in different ways. My children have NRXN1 deletion. Which is close to the Chromosome 3 deletion. My daughter also has Albinism which is another genetic deletion. As long as you have a geneticist they will guide you in the right direction.

letstalk747
by Joy on Feb. 15, 2014 at 9:21 PM

i dont

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)