Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

teach your kid it not nice to point and laugh at a child in wheelchair !

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 7:57 PM
  • 10 Replies

Has this happened to you ? What do you say and do ? Except im very shy so i got no guts. :(

1st time this has ever happened to us. Took Jacob to doc cause she wanted to make sure both ear infections better. Waiting area very busy mostly grown ups. But jacob and i over in what was play area but no toys anymore. So im keeping him busy with his speech device. And he in happy mood not freaking out. He does get excited and makes sounds. A boy i would say age 11 came in with his i guess dad. Boy checks in and starts to come around to the play area but stops and just looks at jacob then goes back to dad. Jacob is making sounds and im not sure why but i look up at kid and he laughing and pointing right at my kid. Then he would lean over and say something to dad. He shake his head yes. I would go back to jacob then look up  and kid kept doing this. We finally got called back 10minutes later. And no one said anything. And like i said im too shy. So i feel bad i should of done something.   

And Jacob let doc check ears. He was soo good. And doc dont want to do tubes in ears. She said from oct to now he has only had 3 ear infections. I wish she make up her mind. But im soo proud of him. She even gave him candy and stickers. He has never got before. And we left and that kid and man still waiting.

by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
letstalk747
by Joy on Feb. 19, 2014 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this

my kids know its not ok and why

Codysmom2106
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 9:01 PM

That's awful. I'm so sorry. I've always tried to teach Cody

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 12:32 AM
I'm sorry 😞. I'm not sure my kids know how to respond, but i would certainly correct them and apologize to the parent.
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 12:51 AM
Lina doesn't do that she goes right up to the kid or parent and starts to jabber away. Sometimes she will point at a child in a wheelchair and smile and tell me that kid is just like xxxx.
chefmartha
by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this

We actually have the child (young woman now) in the wheelchair. She likes to smile back at the kids who stare. She's been known to ask them if they would like to race. (she's pretty fast in her powerchair) If the kids (or rude adults) ask whats wrong with her, we look at it as a teaching experience and explain that Katy has Cerebral Palsy and that the chair is how she gets around. Those who think Katy is a poor little girl without a brain in her head quickly find that they are wrong. Example: We were at a renaissance event in costume. A young college aged couple sat near Katy while she was watching a battle at the edge of the battlefield. The girl looked at Katy and asked if her mommy had made her dress, it's pretty. Katy replied, 'I like your dress too. Is it 15th century? Mom's working on one at home.'  Or the time she was asked if she'd like a peanutbutter sandwich (we were at another renn group event), Katy told the mom 'no thanks'. The mom asked, 'Don't you like peanutbutter?', Katy replied, 'I love peanutbutter but it's not period.' (Our group played between 1066 and 1620, peanutbutter is late 19th early 20th century) The first example Katy was 9 y/o and the second one was when she was about 5 1/2. Katy is now 20 y/o and is close to graduating from high school. She's an honor student. She voluntarily went through a second 4 years of high school in order to graduate with a regular high school diploma instead of the special ed diploma her first high school thought she should get.

So when it comes to people who point and laugh we see it as a learning experience and a teaching opportunity.

Cindy18
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 1:00 AM

That was very rude! I would have been very upset with my child for acting that way!

I'm glad your son was on his best behavior! Congrats on no tubes!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 20, 2014 at 7:01 AM

That is so rude...especially since the father was sitting right there!  I would have said something to them...that is so ridiculous!  I'm sorry!

shugerbit
by Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 7:23 AM
My son is nonverbal so we haven't had that issue at all yet
. Our problem though is that he used to go to my friends house to be watched a couple days a week and her daughter is quadriplegic. Her daughter who is 18 had a power wheelchair and her way to play with him was to let him sit at her feet and drive him around. So now he tries to climb on everyone's wheelchair! He has gotten better since there is a sweet girl in his prek class In a wheelchair.
jjamom
by Michele on Feb. 20, 2014 at 9:32 AM
That would make me mad as well. By age 11 that kid should know better and since he obviously didn't Dad should have reprimanded him.

It makes me the most angry when I see adults do stuff like that. They have absolutely NO manners.

I glad it was a good appt and no surgery for Jacob!
cnsmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I would be upset too.  I'm also shy, so I would have probably started talking to my little one and tell them that some people just don't realize how rude it is to act like that.  (I would be loud enough that they would hear me) 

We haven't really had anyone point and laugh at Makenna when she is in her wheelchair.  We do get stares, and lots of comments about how cute her chair is. (we decorate it, so it isn't just plain)  She is 5, but she is the size of a 2 or 3 yr old with the vocabulary of a teenager, and right now we have snowman material covering her wheels, arm rests, foot rests, and the handles that we use to push her, so people get curious.  I've noticed that people and kids will say something about how cool her chair is, it's like an ice breaker.  She also has a very distinguished loud voice and she loves to talk to people, so that is  another ice breaker. 

We were in a store one day, and a woman with her 2 kids came in (they looked like they were 5-7) they were staring at Makenna in her chair, and she started talking to them.  Neither of them would say anything to her, so she looked at their mom and said "don't your kids talk yet"  I think their mom noticed that they were staring then and she tried to get them to say hi, but they didn't.  I told Makenna that some kids are just shy, and that they don't talk to someone that they don't know.

Big Hugs, I am so sorry that this happened to Jacob. 

I am glad that his apt went well, and that he was so good while you were there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)