Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

What to do with expensive therapy equipment when child outgrows it?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 12:58 AM
  • 16 Replies

My son has outgrown his stander and is getting a new one. The old one is still like brand new (only used it occasionally when school was out cause he gets stood at school). The thing cost a small fortune. What do I do with it?

by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 12:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 1:05 AM
Do you go to therapy? If you know a therapist maybe you could let them know that you have one and are looking to sell it. Other than that I don't know. Lina has never had to use any appliances.

Good Luck!
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 20, 2014 at 6:57 AM

I donated my son's equipment to his therapy clinic when he outgrew it.  

Cindy18
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 6:59 AM

Donate it to the school or other program that could use.

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Ive either donated it, or given it to another child in need.
perhaps if your looking to sell it ebay? or craigs list?
Ask a local therapist if they know of a family who may be interested.

PumpkinSpice8
by Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 9:05 AM
I'm going to donate DD's equipment. I'll probably ask her therapist and schools if they know a child who needs the walkers and so forth.
mandee1503
by Amanda on Feb. 20, 2014 at 9:57 AM
I'm going to donate ds's to a local equipment rental place. If you would have asked me last year it would have gone to our old therapy place but after everything that happened id rather it go somewhere else.
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 11:41 AM

I donate them to my kid's therapy places or developmental/special needs school programs that are age level to the equipment.  If I know another family it may be appropriate for, I just give it to them.  The expense is terrible on those things, some insurance covers, some it does not.  Why not make another family have an easy break on free equipment.  :) 

valleymomma1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Some giveaway.  I just sold a commpression  vest for super cheap to my sons ot the dollars from it will help pay for the new one.  

N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Trying to get my son one and medicaid keeps saying no. .           Anyway when my son could not use his walker we gave to his pt girl. That way she could find a child that needs it. And that way it free to a family cause we paid for it.  

jjamom
by Michele on Feb. 20, 2014 at 12:20 PM
I'd probably donate it. However, if you need the money for new equipment, you could sell it. I have seen a lot of people who buy up things like that for a reasonable price and mark it way up before reselling it, though. I just feel like they are making a profit off of parents who need the equipment and that makes me mad. Maybe you can ask your child's therapists if they know if anyone who needs it and either give or sell it to them for a reasonable price?

ETA: members of our local support group sometimes offer things to members, usually for free, but sometimes will sell for a good price.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN