Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Yoga, anyone?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 9:42 AM
  • 21 Replies

Have you ever taken a Yoga class? Did you like it? Pros? Cons?

Or would you recommend a different kind of exercise class? If so, what?

by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alyssasmommy312
by Angela on Feb. 20, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Im not brave enough to face a class full of strangers, however it is something I might try at home,  Help with my stress.  im thinking it might help with my daughters stress to, and she needs the excercise.

3sillykids
by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

As a yoga teacher who was once a newbie, let me give you some words of advice that I wish I would have known.

Yoga is nothing to be worried about. If you decide to go to a class, know that nobody is looking at you or judging you. In fact, teachers and seasoned practioners LOVE seeing new people come in to experience what yoga has to offer.

You can also practice at home. I have my own home practice, and do online videos as well as attend classes in a studio. The classes are good because it is always nice to have the teacher help you with safe alignment and to teach you new poses.

I have 5 children, 4 in the house still, and most of them love it as well. My adhd child really responds well to yoga and meditation.

Yoga is around 5000 years old....there is definitley a reason it has endured for such a long time :)

Good luck on your yoga practice and feel free to ask any questions you may have!

jjamom
by Michele on Feb. 20, 2014 at 9:52 AM
I take a cardio strength training class that is spiritually based. We begin every session a d end every session with prayer. It is a good workout and does take my mind off of things while I'm there. They are usually held in churches, so the cost is minimal. They have classes all over, so check them out.

www.bodyandsoul.org
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 20, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Oh Lord no!  LOL!  I'm not a yoga person!

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 11:33 AM

No.  But I hear it is amazing for stress/anxiety (which I have both!!).  I should take it, I also am not real athletic or coordinated.  I chase little kids all day, but that isn't really formal excercise.  I should do yoga! 

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Any videos on either the yoga or meditation you'd recommend to stressed out, busy, anxiety fused beginners?  Ones that don't take a ton of time? 

Quoting 3sillykids:

As a yoga teacher who was once a newbie, let me give you some words of advice that I wish I would have known.

Yoga is nothing to be worried about. If you decide to go to a class, know that nobody is looking at you or judging you. In fact, teachers and seasoned practioners LOVE seeing new people come in to experience what yoga has to offer.

You can also practice at home. I have my own home practice, and do online videos as well as attend classes in a studio. The classes are good because it is always nice to have the teacher help you with safe alignment and to teach you new poses.

I have 5 children, 4 in the house still, and most of them love it as well. My adhd child really responds well to yoga and meditation.

Yoga is around 5000 years old....there is definitley a reason it has endured for such a long time :)

Good luck on your yoga practice and feel free to ask any questions you may have!

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 11:38 AM

We don't have this in Iowa, sounds fun.  Our church is doing Zumba.  Yea, not in it, lol!

Quoting jjamom: I take a cardio strength training class that is spiritually based. We begin every session a d end every session with prayer. It is a good workout and does take my mind off of things while I'm there. They are usually held in churches, so the cost is minimal. They have classes all over, so check them out.

www.bodyandsoul.org

dawncs
by Dawn on Feb. 20, 2014 at 11:38 AM

I love yoga. I do it once a week at the local YMCA. The ladies in my class are fantastic! However, it is a small group of us who do it. I also do aqua fitness classes four days. However, it is a little difficult to get there with the snow right now in my area.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 11:38 AM

But you run!!!  That's a good way to relax.  You would not want to see me run though, lol!  I'd have an asthma attack one block in!

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Oh Lord no!  LOL!  I'm not a yoga person!

valleymomma1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 12:10 PM

We have taken some we have an excelent yoga set we do t home yogarrilla.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)