Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

ADHD meds

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 9:54 AM
  • 11 Replies

Hi all!

Wondering if anyone has tried Synaptrol and their experiences.

Currently my OSS is on prescription meds and they are HORRIBLE! Please give me your honest reviews of Synaptrol and/or any other more natural products you have found.

Thank you

by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 20, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Welcome to the group!  I don't have any experience with ADHD but others in the group do.  Good luck!

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Welcome to the group!!  

No, I have no experience with these, but my daughter was just diagnosed with ADHD last week so I am going to watch this post for what people say!!  She was recommended to find a pedi that would medicate her, but her teacher and I are going to start with behavioral strategies first since she is only 5.  I have also heard some people give their ADHD coffee instead of meds and do amazing.  Again, I'm probably not giving that to a 5 year old, but keeping it in mind.  Good luck!  Sorry the med is not a good fit. 

3sillykids
by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 2:13 PM

We started the coffee a couple days ago (since the boys are off school for the week) and he seems to be doing pretty well on it. However, at home and at school are two different ball games, and not sure if we should try it on school days or not.

If anyone else has experience with the coffee (he is 12 btw) please share.

3sillykids
by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 10:15 AM

BUMP

TommyAbby
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:45 PM

We tried coffee for both of our kids.. it worked minimally for our son ( 9 at the time) and ZERO for our  6yr old daughter.

We did every type of ybehavior therapy progam we could find. Some worked for short periods of time and others didn't do anything.  We were trying to avoid meds at all costs, but now both kids are on Methylphenidate.

Tommy is 11.5 and on 30mg a day. Abby is 7 and on 20 mg a day.

Tommy started those last year and Abby just started in November.  What a difference for both of them!! 

Good luck!! As for the coffee on school days, try it. Even the teacher was on board just to see if it would help any. 

Mishy2
by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:52 PM

My oldest is taking Methylphenidate for his ADHD as well. He is 8.  I too notice a big difference.

Quoting TommyAbby:

We tried coffee for both of our kids.. it worked minimally for our son ( 9 at the time) and ZERO for our  6yr old daughter.

We did every type of ybehavior therapy progam we could find. Some worked for short periods of time and others didn't do anything.  We were trying to avoid meds at all costs, but now both kids are on Methylphenidate.

Tommy started those last year and Abby just started in November.  What a difference for both of them!! 

Good luck!! As for the coffee on school days, try it. Even the teacher was on board just to see if it would help any. 

**** Join us at ~*~ MOMMY CHATS ~*~ - a fun & friendly place for moms, moms to be, and TTC women to meet other moms, give advice, share stories, make new friends and just chat.   

Mishy2
by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:52 PM

I have never heard of Synaptrol, can you tell me a bit about it?

Quoting 3sillykids:

Hi all!

Currently my OSS is on prescription meds and they are HORRIBLE! Please give me your honest reviews of Synaptrol and/or any other more natural products you have found.

Thank you

**** Join us at ~*~ MOMMY CHATS ~*~ - a fun & friendly place for moms, moms to be, and TTC women to meet other moms, give advice, share stories, make new friends and just chat.   

3sillykids
by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Wish I could, but I don't know any more than what is on their website, and the reviews I have googled. Don't know anybody IRL who has actually tried it.

Quoting Mishy2:

I have never heard of Synaptrol, can you tell me a bit about it?

Quoting 3sillykids:

Hi all!

Thank you

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Did you notice any negative side effects from the drug in your kiddos?  And what behaviors do you think it helped with.  My daughter was just dx so just starting to research.  Thanks. 

Quoting TommyAbby:

TommyAbby
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 5:51 PM

With Tommy:

Negatives: Took a bit longer to fall asleep the first week or two. Now that child could sleep through a bomb going off LOL

Positives: He went from being a red light every day,going to down to the office or nurses office, not doing his work child to one who now is doing amazingly well to the point that he gets Level 4 with Distinction on state testing (the highest you can get) in his Life Skills program. Knows his name, address, phone number, can write out his activities in his daily journal. Can talk your ear off about all type of dinosaurs :) 

With Abby:

Negatives: Same thing with the sleep issues, but Abby has always had some issues with sleeping and gets melatonin on those days where I know she is going to need it to get a good nights sleep. Usually by 7:30 she will start to wind down on her own and if she is still pretty active, then I give her 3mg. We did have a bit with her lack of appetite and some weight loss, but we started her on pediasure 3x per day and that is working.. we have also noticed that now that she has been on the meds for a bit, she is gaining back her appetite. 

Positives: Abby went from only being able to sit for 5-7max on any task at school to 25-30min which is as long as the classes or therapies last. Mind you she started this in November. Since then, she has learned to write her name, say her full name, recognize the alphabet, and count to 15...things she couldn't do before the meds. It was like her brain was always go go gogogogogogo and she couldn't stop to truly learn anything. 

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Did you notice any negative side effects from the drug in your kiddos?  And what behaviors do you think it helped with.  My daughter was just dx so just starting to research.  Thanks. 

Quoting TommyAbby:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN