Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Potty training my son

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 5:25 PM
  • 12 Replies

So my son is 5 yrs old will be 6 in June. He is developmentally delayed. I had been trying to potty train him for yrs now. But I gave up and started back in Dec of last year. So now I am happy to say it has been 2 months and 2weeks & 5days now. But what my problem is when he is at school they won't let him wear his big boys as he calls them. They always put him on pull up's. So do to him getting pull ups on him he will go in the pull up because he knows they will just keep babying him and let him get away with it. It's really pissing me off because they think I'm gone be the one to buy the pull up's. I have talked to them more then once about me not buying any more pull up's. What do you all think I should about getting them to let him wear his big boys at school? I'm starting to feel like I should go and sit at his school all day one day just so I can show them that he can and will go to the bathroom if he has on his big boys. 

Update: So I went to my son school to talk to them. About him wearing his underwear to school and the principal. Asked me why I want him to wear his underwear so bad and I told her he do it at home and there is no accidents. Also because he is 5 about to be 6. And when I said that this ignorant woman asks me do he have mental problems. Now at this point I am really pissed off because she would even ask me that in this serious type of voice. Then she as the audacity to say I don't want him wearing pull up's because I most a have financial problem. I have no financial problems I had been buying two boxes of pull up's every month for the longest. I just don't want them babying him. I'm done talking to them about this. It's only a couple of months left to go and he will be going to a new school next school year.

by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 5:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 5:37 PM
Just stop buying them. Send him in underwear with a couple changes of clothes and let them deal with it. Sounds like their being lazy to me.
Keela222
by Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 5:43 PM

That's how I feel they are just being lazy. They told me if I don't buy pull up's then he can't come to school any more. Like come on really they are really talking about my 5 year old can't get an eduation all becuase I'm not gone buy pull up's? But I like what you said I think I'm gone do that.

Quoting arkansasmama08: Just stop buying them. Send him in underwear with a couple changes of clothes and let them deal with it. Sounds like their being lazy to me.

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 5:50 PM
The teacher told you that? They're lying. They can't do that and they know it

Quoting Keela222:

That's how I feel they are just being lazy. They told me if I don't buy pull up's then he can't come to school any more. Like come on really they are really talking about my 5 year old can't get an eduation all becuase I'm not gone buy pull up's? But I like what you said I think I'm gone do that.

Quoting arkansasmama08: Just stop buying them. Send him in underwear with a couple changes of clothes and let them deal with it. Sounds like their being lazy to me.

Keela222
by Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Yes that's what I was told by two of his teacher's. But his one on one teacher told me it's not in her job description to potty train him. He doesn't to be pottyed he already is he just need someone who is gone let him wear his underwear.

Quoting arkansasmama08: The teacher told you that? They're lying. They can't do that and they know it

Quoting Keela222:

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 6:30 PM
I would file a complaint and have assistance with bathroom in his iep. I'm assuming he has one anyway. Can he be moved to a different class? If that's her attitude, frankly I wouldn't trust her with my kid.

Quoting Keela222:

Yes that's what I was told by two of his teacher's. But his one on one teacher told me it's not in her job description to potty train him. He doesn't to be pottyed he already is he just need someone who is gone let him wear his underwear.

Quoting arkansasmama08: The teacher told you that? They're lying. They can't do that and they know it

Quoting Keela222:

Keela222
by Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 6:34 PM

I'm gone file a complaint with the school. I want her to be removed from the class. I like his other teacher's. I just don't like how his one on one is not helping me out with this.

Quoting arkansasmama08: I would file a complaint and have assistance with bathroom in his iep. I'm assuming he has one anyway. Can he be moved to a different class? If that's her attitude, frankly I wouldn't trust her with my kid.

Quoting Keela222:

Quoting Keela222:

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 6:37 PM
Yep, that's ridiculous. If she's there for him, than it is absolutely her job to help him in the areas he is delayed in.

Quoting Keela222:

I'm gone file a complaint with the school. I want her to be removed from the class. I like his other teacher's. I just don't like how his one on one is not helping me out with this.

Quoting arkansasmama08: I would file a complaint and have assistance with bathroom in his iep. I'm assuming he has one anyway. Can he be moved to a different class? If that's her attitude, frankly I wouldn't trust her with my kid.

Quoting Keela222:

Quoting Keela222:

Keela222
by Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Right.

Quoting arkansasmama08: Yep, that's ridiculous. If she's there for him, than it is absolutely her job to help him in the areas he is delayed in.

Quoting Keela222:

Quoting Keela222:

Quoting Keela222:

letstalk747
by Joy on Feb. 20, 2014 at 11:32 PM

i would tell them i want him in ''big boys''  and if he has a accident i will come and change him- would that work for you ?

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 12:28 AM
In public school they can't tell you that he can't come to school if he has no pull ups but a preschool can do that. I would file a complaint about his teacher and the entire situation.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)