Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

I Want Him To Sleep In His Own Bed

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 8:41 PM
  • 11 Replies
My 9 yr old, Jake, either sleeps on the sofabed or my bed. I don't mind him sleeping on the sofabed, I just want him to sleep in his own bed instead of mine. Usually I don't mind, but when the kidney shots are getting worse, he hogs the bed and blankets.

He has been through a lot in the past few years and they lost their father in April 2013. So I get him wanting to sleep with me. It is just that he is too heavy to carry to his own bed anymore.

And when Jake isn't in my bed, my 7 yr old, Zachary, is. LoL, another active sleeper. At least with him I can carry him to his room. So far. LoL
I really do get their separation anxiety. But mommy wants to sleep. LoL. When the insomnia is on vacation that is. LoL
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Hugs Mama.  I have a little one not sleeping well right now, so I understand the Mama not getting good sleep!  Then you're tired all day and still have to care for them.  Mine is not the same issue with the separation anxiety so no advice there.  Do they go to therapy at all?  Maybe that would help them work through the loss and feel more secure.  Or maybe they could sleep together if they really both want an extra person?

mandee1503
by Amanda on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:38 PM
Once you find the answer share. My dd is 6 and still sleeps in my room. Ugh!
letstalk747
by Joy on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:07 PM

i know its hard , my son slept in my room in his own bed till he was 11- there was no changing that i tried         for years then one day he said i want to sleep in my bedroom , i have no advice except keep trying.

SithMom71
by Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 7:17 AM
Thanks Ladies! They aren't in therapy. Hard to find someone who helps sn kids. But their teachers at their school are awesome. When the boys talk about their father, I talk with them. When they want to see pictures of him, they have their own little photo albums.

I wish I had the money to get one of those giant beds so we all had enough room to sleep. LoL, even then they would still hog the bed. And they have slept on the sofabed together. They end up waking each other up from trying to take over in their sleep. LoL
Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 7:51 AM
Could they sleep on pallets on the floor in your room?
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Lina is 10 and still sleeping in our room. She has her own bed but right now is sleeping with me. I don't know if she'll ever sleep in her own room. She has seperation and generalized anxiety and se med issues so being in our room is no real problem except when she wants to share with me and DH then the bed isn't big enough for the 3 of us. Would there be a way for a set of bunk beds to be in your room too? That way they could both sleep there until they are ready to sleep alone again?
SithMom71
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 12:18 AM
I have bunk beds and am considering either moving my bed to their room or putting them in mine. Thank you!
proudmomalexis
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 8:01 AM
1 mom liked this
I put a toddler bed in our room to get dd used to sleeping alone then transitioned into their own room.

Quoting mandee1503: Once you find the answer share. My dd is 6 and still sleeps in my room. Ugh!
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Have you asked them why they want to sleep with you? Or why they dont want to sleep in their room. My son had an issue with being scared of his closet.. Are there things that would make them feel better about sleeping in their room.. (Lights on, or music playing) Id just wonder if there was some other reason... Since they will sleep on the sofa, but not their room... 

Rust.n.Gears
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 8:27 AM

When my spine went to crap I had to put up more stricter rules with my kids. They can not sleep in my bed now without crippling me for a week. They are allowed to bring in blankets and pillows and sleep on the floor next to me though. Honestly that didn't last long for them. It's just not comfortable.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)