Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

i finally did it...

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:00 AM
  • 16 Replies
I emailed the Board of education and complained about the lack of compliance with Maggie's iep. I'm really tired of waiting for them to do something about it, me having to find our own therapists, and fighting for every thing we get. I told them about the gap we had from September until January with her pt, and the fact that she has received no st since school got out for Christmas break. I'm tired of the lack of communication. I'm tired of feeling like they push us off to the side because they know we homeschool and they won't get any money from our kids. My children are just as entitled to these services as any other, and I've got just enough energy back to fight them until they agree to make up time lost, at least. Its ridiculous.

Ok. Vent over. I know I've been posting a lot and I promise to back off for a while lol.
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 26, 2014 at 5:46 AM

Post away and vent away mama!  That's what this group is for!

Hugs and I hope they get back with you ASAP!  Keep us posted:)

mandee1503
by Amanda on Feb. 26, 2014 at 8:46 AM
Post all you want! Hope they fix it!
jjamom
by Michele on Feb. 26, 2014 at 8:48 AM
I'm glad you finally called them to the mat on it, they cannot just continue to be out of compliance with a child's IEP.
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 8:50 AM

You wrote to the head of your special ed dept, right? :) go to the top! :) 

at your local library there is a book called the complete IEP guide... In the back of the book there is a chapter with sample letters word for word what needs to be siad when the district is in violation of your childs IEP. After the school, the chain of command to follow to get what your children need. 

Good luck. 

SithMom71
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 8:54 AM
Dumb question, but is there a local sn advocate for your county? Also, welfare may have some listings for therapists. Have you applied for ssi for your child? They could also help. Is there a local fb page for parents of sn children? There is for my county and they have great information. What about other parents that homeschool? Any that also have kids on the spectrum?

Sorry if you have tried these. I am just tossing out ideas.
Gloria1025
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Good for you!  I hope they pay attention now and fix things.  I had to go to the state board of ed to get action and it was hard, stressful and a lot of work but it got my son what he needed.  Oh - and they get your tax dollars so BS on them not getting $ - they just may not be getting as much but they don't deserve it anyway. 

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:57 AM
You e missed out on most of our drama. Its been ridiculous. We've been denied SSI multiple times. We go through the education co-op for our younger two's therapies. Our oldest aged out 2 years ago and we've been trying to find funding since. I get one story from doctors about how the school has to provide services and another from the school saying they don't have to because we homeschool. We fight fir every single thing we need and its frustrating and exhausting. I've tried everything else and I'm finally fed up. We're not even talking to the school anymore. They don't want to help us and have made that clear by their noncompliance and argumentative responses when I do demand something. Do, this time I just skipped them and went straight to the board of education. 4 years we've been fighting. This time I'm waiting for their answer to see if the school really is legally required to provide services for homeschoolers, and I'm.getting an advocate to take to our iep meeting next month to MAKE them fulfill our iep requirements.

Quoting SithMom71: Dumb question, but is there a local sn advocate for your county? Also, welfare may have some listings for therapists. Have you applied for ssi for your child? They could also help. Is there a local fb page for parents of sn children? There is for my county and they have great information. What about other parents that homeschool? Any that also have kids on the spectrum?

Sorry if you have tried these. I am just tossing out ideas.
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 10:05 AM
Yeah. Our school is pathetic. We had our oldest in kindergarten for a very short time because they bullied me into it. When I told the teacher I was pulling him out after a month, she asked me if I would wait until a certain day, because that's when they send in their classroom counts to get state money. Lol. No. If you only want my child their for the money, I'm not helping you out. Besides that, he had an educational identification of autism and we had a verbal deal with the principal to extend his iep for that time to see how he would do in school with services. They gave him nothing. No therapy, no aide, nothing.

part of me says its not worth the fight anymore. When this baby comes in October, we will qualify for Medicaid and they will cover all therapies for all 3. But on the other hand, its the principle of it. If we're treated this badly, pushed around, and not given services they are legally required to provide, how many other families are dealing with the same thing? Maybe we can make a difference in the whole system by standing up and holding them responsible. Know what I mean

Quoting Gloria1025:

Good for you!  I hope they pay attention now and fix things.  I had to go to the state board of ed to get action and it was hard, stressful and a lot of work but it got my son what he needed.  Oh - and they get your tax dollars so BS on them not getting $ - they just may not be getting as much but they don't deserve it anyway. 

Gloria1025
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 10:19 AM

I used to think like you do - that perhaps we could make a difference for families that come after us.  Our lawyer literally laughed out loud when I said it.  He said that the reality is the system is not funded to be able to comply with the laws.  Families that have the resources to fight to enforce the law are successful for their own children but it doesn't change anything for the rest - the system literally can't afford to change.  Its very sad to me.  He told me to focus on getting my child what he needed and that if I was really focused on making a difference, I should work with a large parent advocacy group that could lobby for funding for programs, do fundraisers etc. and that was the only way to perhaps get overall change that will help others.  To be honest, I am going to do this at some point but I can't right now, as he said, I need to focus on my own child first.  I know that sounds selfish but me not helping my child, is not helping anyone if that makes sense. 

Quoting arkansasmama08: Yeah. Our school is pathetic. We had our oldest in kindergarten for a very short time because they bullied me into it. When I told the teacher I was pulling him out after a month, she asked me if I would wait until a certain day, because that's when they send in their classroom counts to get state money. Lol. No. If you only want my child their for the money, I'm not helping you out. Besides that, he had an educational identification of autism and we had a verbal deal with the principal to extend his iep for that time to see how he would do in school with services. They gave him nothing. No therapy, no aide, nothing. part of me says its not worth the fight anymore. When this baby comes in October, we will qualify for Medicaid and they will cover all therapies for all 3. But on the other hand, its the principle of it. If we're treated this badly, pushed around, and not given services they are legally required to provide, how many other families are dealing with the same thing? Maybe we can make a difference in the whole system by standing up and holding them responsible. Know what I mean

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 10:30 AM
Lol, that's encouraging.

I don't know. I know the whole system is screwed up. Jails are fully funded, athletes, coaches, and actors make ungodly amounts of money, ad yet our school systems dont have the resources to meet their legal requirements. Maybe if enough people fight it, we can make a small change. Ya know? If nothing else, maybe i can take what I've learned and help others fight.

Quoting Gloria1025:

I used to think like you do - that perhaps we could make a difference for families that come after us.  Our lawyer literally laughed out loud when I said it.  He said that the reality is the system is not funded to be able to comply with the laws.  Families that have the resources to fight to enforce the law are successful for their own children but it doesn't change anything for the rest - the system literally can't afford to change.  Its very sad to me.  He told me to focus on getting my child what he needed and that if I was really focused on making a difference, I should work with a large parent advocacy group that could lobby for funding for programs, do fundraisers etc. and that was the only way to perhaps get overall change that will help others.  To be honest, I am going to do this at some point but I can't right now, as he said, I need to focus on my own child first.  I know that sounds selfish but me not helping my child, is not helping anyone if that makes sense. 

Quoting arkansasmama08: Yeah. Our school is pathetic. We had our oldest in kindergarten for a very short time because they bullied me into it. When I told the teacher I was pulling him out after a month, she asked me if I would wait until a certain day, because that's when they send in their classroom counts to get state money. Lol. No. If you only want my child their for the money, I'm not helping you out. Besides that, he had an educational identification of autism and we had a verbal deal with the principal to extend his iep for that time to see how he would do in school with services. They gave him nothing. No therapy, no aide, nothing. part of me says its not worth the fight anymore. When this baby comes in October, we will qualify for Medicaid and they will cover all therapies for all 3. But on the other hand, its the principle of it. If we're treated this badly, pushed around, and not given services they are legally required to provide, how many other families are dealing with the same thing? Maybe we can make a difference in the whole system by standing up and holding them responsible. Know what I mean

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)