Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

How often do you call an IEP? (PIOG)

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:57 PM
  • 11 Replies

For parents and teachers alike, how often do you call an IEP meeting?

I know that kids are usually assessed after a calender year, but if you see significant improvement or no improvement at all, do you call an IEP meeting to reassess and even re-write the IEP?

Any and all opinions, thoughts, advice and personal experiences etc would be appreciated. 

by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jjamom
by Michele on Feb. 26, 2014 at 3:22 PM
I have never had to do so, but I would if I felt it was necessary to change the IEP. If a child is not progressing in a goal, it is sometimes because the goal is too lofty or not written well enough to be measurable in a meaningful way. Conversely, if the child had met or exceeded the goals, I would want new goals to be set so he would continue to be challenged and school time would be worthwhile, unless his IEP was really close, then I would be inclined to wait until the annual review.
mandee1503
by Amanda on Feb. 26, 2014 at 8:52 PM

I've only had one, but if I felt it was needed, I wouldn't hesitate.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Meh, whenever we want to change something.  Usually the 'big' one with all support people is just annually, but if the teacher and I want to change something through out the year it's just us and an administrator for signoff.  We did the 'big' one last year and then changed my kids from self-contained to inclusion for this year 2 days before the last day of school because we both felt we had made the wrong choice.  The 'team' got back to school this fall, and was like what happened, this isn't where we placed the kids. LOL!   Oh well, mama and teacher were right, they've done great!!!  We've also had to 'ammend' whenever we got another developmental diagnosis for one of the kids that altered their service level need or health plan change.  That's happened the most.

letstalk747
by Joy on Feb. 26, 2014 at 10:14 PM

i do just the once a year and 1 or 2 amendments a year

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 27, 2014 at 5:05 AM

Brady's is just once each year.  I know I can call one at anytime though.  

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 7:35 AM

I aksed for an emergency meeting in December. its tomorrow. We typically need a meeting at the 1/2 way point thru the year... 

Gloria1025
by Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 7:48 AM

So far, I have called about 4 per year - but we have had a number of issues with the system si I don't think we are typical

CBMama06
by Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:28 PM
I'd guess once a year unless like us where we had to have meetings for addendum to be added.. We've met 2 times so far and will meet again in May.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alyssasmommy312
by Angela on Feb. 28, 2014 at 7:22 AM

We have had 2 meetings so far just this school year.  Once to start Alyssa with her aide on a trial run for 6 school weeks, The most recent one was her regular IEP where her aide got to officially stay.  We have another meeting scheduled for the end of May to determine if Alyssa needs to go back to an SDC class or not.  However we may call a meeting shortly if something doesnt improve.  Something is going on with Alyssa that is really reflecting on her attitude and work, and we dont know whats going on.  (she actually for the first time ever YELLED at her teacher that she wouldnt do the work :().  Normally we just go for the once a year meeting, but this year has been eventful, lol.

briellesmomma
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 7:23 AM
Once a year so far but I had one last month to switch her school district.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)