Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Pull ups for 10 year old?

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 12:37 AM
  • 24 Replies
Hey ladies I need help finding pull ups or something similar for my 10 ds. He has severe overactive bladder and wears them at night. However, his current ones are too small and he won't be able to wear them for much longer. I can't find a pull up for his size.

What do you ladies suggest?
by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 12:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 12:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I was given the advice to look at the adult diapers or underwear or what ever they are calling them now. They come in a lot of different sizes now so getting a small might be what he needs. I hope this helps. 

Welcome to the group! 

miisha
by Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 12:51 AM
Thanks. That's what I was thinking. I just realized tonight now small they are now. He really grew in the last year because his heart defect was fixed. Now he eats like crazy. Lol

Quoting Linagma03:

I was given the advice to look at the adult diapers or underwear or what ever they are calling them now. They come in a lot of different sizes now so getting a small might be what he needs. I hope this helps. 

Welcome to the group! 

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 12:55 AM

I was wondering what I was going to do when she was about 7 and not trained overnight yet and the largest pull-ups were getting really hard to pull up. She finally got overnight potty trained right about when I was ready to buy some. Now I am thinking of getting some because she is 10 and just began having periods and her motor skills don't let her change her own pad yet so having those for her to wear might be the way to go. She has complained about the pad making her butt hurt. 

Quoting miisha: Thanks. That's what I was thinking. I just realized tonight now small they are now. He really grew in the last year because his heart defect was fixed. Now he eats like crazy. Lol
Quoting Linagma03:

Welcome to the group! 

miisha
by Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 12:59 AM
Aww poor girl. Sounds like a good idea for both of us. Now did you get her night trained?

Quoting Linagma03:

I was wondering what I was going to do when she was about 7 and not trained overnight yet and the largest pull-ups were getting really hard to pull up. She finally got overnight potty trained right about when I was ready to buy some. Now I am thinking of getting some because she is 10 and just began having periods and her motor skills don't let her change her own pad yet so having those for her to wear might be the way to go. She has complained about the pad making her butt hurt. 

Quoting miisha: Thanks. That's what I was thinking. I just realized tonight now small they are now. He really grew in the last year because his heart defect was fixed. Now he eats like crazy. Lol

Quoting Linagma03:

Welcome to the group! 

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 1:10 AM

I began to make her go to the bathroom right before she crawled into bed. Then I set the alarm on my cell phone for every 2-3 hours and would wake her up to go potty and did that every night for a few weeks. There were many of those trips to the bathroom where she didn't do anything. I didn't get a whole lot of good sleep but it helped me not have to wash bedding everyday. After a while I noticed that she would actually pee around 2 am so that was the time I'd set my phone to. Then she began to wake up on her own and tell me she had to go potty, she'd go and crawl back into bed. It was several months before she was at the point of having only 1 accident a month. She's been 100% potty trained for almost 2 years. She had her first accident a week ago because she stayed up late and when she fell asleep she was so deeply asleep that she wet the bed. She was so tired she didn't even wake up after getting wet.

Is he on any medication for the over active bladder? When he's awake can he control it?

Quoting miisha: Aww poor girl. Sounds like a good idea for both of us. Now did you get her night trained?
Quoting Linagma03:

Quoting Linagma03:

Welcome to the group! 

miisha
by Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 1:17 AM
He is on the oxytrol patch. It has worked wonders for during the day. But not at night. I do wake him during the night to go. Sometimes he goes and sometimes he doesn't. Even when he does go, he wets a few minutes after. I'm not getting nearly enough sleep either.

Quoting Linagma03:

I began to make her go to the bathroom right before she crawled into bed. Then I set the alarm on my cell phone for every 2-3 hours and would wake her up to go potty and did that every night for a few weeks. There were many of those trips to the bathroom where she didn't do anything. I didn't get a whole lot of good sleep but it helped me not have to wash bedding everyday. After a while I noticed that she would actually pee around 2 am so that was the time I'd set my phone to. Then she began to wake up on her own and tell me she had to go potty, she'd go and crawl back into bed. It was several months before she was at the point of having only 1 accident a month. She's been 100% potty trained for almost 2 years. She had her first accident a week ago because she stayed up late and when she fell asleep she was so deeply asleep that she wet the bed. She was so tired she didn't even wake up after getting wet.

Is he on any medication for the over active bladder? When he's awake can he control it?

Quoting miisha: Aww poor girl. Sounds like a good idea for both of us. Now did you get her night trained?

Quoting Linagma03:

Quoting Linagma03:

Welcome to the group! 

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 1:28 AM

Her nephrologist told me that I should make her sit on the potty for an additional 5 minutes after she pees to make sure that she empties her bladder completely. That is a hassle but for a while I had to do that because she would only pee enough to ease the feeling of needing to go then 30 minutes later pee the bed. Is he a really deep sleeper? He may be doing what she had been doing, peeing just enough to make that feeling go away then go back to sleep and relax and not get the signal that he needed to pee and between being so relaxed and no signal he wets the bed. She is a heavy sleeper and that was part of the problem in the beginning because she was so deeply asleep that she didn't get the signal that her bladder was full. She is still a heavy sleeper and trying to wake her during the night isn't easy and she goes back to sleep quickly.

Quoting miisha: He is on the oxytrol patch. It has worked wonders for during the day. But not at night. I do wake him during the night to go. Sometimes he goes and sometimes he doesn't. Even when he does go, he wets a few minutes after. I'm not getting nearly enough sleep either.
Quoting Linagma03:

Quoting Linagma03:

Quoting Linagma03:

Welcome to the group! 

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 8:33 AM
Have you tried the Underjams or are those too small. You could try your local hospital too. Ours sells some.
miisha
by Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 1:59 PM
He is a deep sleeper. That sounds just like him.

Quoting Linagma03:

Her nephrologist told me that I should make her sit on the potty for an additional 5 minutes after she pees to make sure that she empties her bladder completely. That is a hassle but for a while I had to do that because she would only pee enough to ease the feeling of needing to go then 30 minutes later pee the bed. Is he a really deep sleeper? He may be doing what she had been doing, peeing just enough to make that feeling go away then go back to sleep and relax and not get the signal that he needed to pee and between being so relaxed and no signal he wets the bed. She is a heavy sleeper and that was part of the problem in the beginning because she was so deeply asleep that she didn't get the signal that her bladder was full. She is still a heavy sleeper and trying to wake her during the night isn't easy and she goes back to sleep quickly.

Quoting miisha: He is on the oxytrol patch. It has worked wonders for during the day. But not at night. I do wake him during the night to go. Sometimes he goes and sometimes he doesn't. Even when he does go, he wets a few minutes after. I'm not getting nearly enough sleep either.

Quoting Linagma03:

Quoting Linagma03:

Quoting Linagma03:

Welcome to the group! 

miisha
by Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 2:00 PM
I was thinking medical supply Stores.

Quoting arkansasmama08: Have you tried the Underjams or are those too small. You could try your local hospital too. Ours sells some.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN