Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

As a parent, would you be upset?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 8:31 AM
  • 31 Replies
I am an EA for special ed. I am in Liife Skills. We have kids that have severe autism, Down's, Fragile X. We have have general ed girls that come and sit with us at lunch for peer interaction.

These girls had clipboards with our kids' names with information like "bad, throwing food". We took the papers up and they are banned from siting with us.

I was telling my mom about how it was completely inappropriate and she didn't understand the big deal.

As a parent, if you had found out this was going on, would you be upset? Or would it be not a big deal?

I am just curious
by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 8:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coleysmama
by Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 8:37 AM
2 moms liked this
They should not have the information out in the open but would not mind then having that info if they are going to be interacting with them. The language needs to be appropriate and not just use words like " bad".
I'm not understanding why they were banned instead of just explaining what is and what is not
appropriate and correcting the situation.
lorelei10
by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 8:41 AM
2 moms liked this

Sounds like a step in the wrong direction from acceptance. I wouldnt be angry, but I would talk to them and explain why words like "bad" are not constructive. It sounds like a good opportunity to educate someone :) If they are going to have information, it should be helpful information and not derogatory, or negative information.

MamaCeleste0722
by Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 8:41 AM
It was the teacher and principal's call. They were concerned about confidentiality. The girls were told that it wasn't ok. They will probably be allowed back after a few weeks.
dalbax2
by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:17 AM
I would be upset w/ negativity but think its a good idea for them to have an understanding of the kids they will be involved in helping. Were these negative comments from the girls themselves writing the info down?
MamaCeleste0722
by Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:25 AM
For the most part, it's been so awesome having these kids be with our kids. The negative info was from the girls themselves. They had a lot of papers with handwritten and computer spreadsheets, with their behavior, good or bad, here or not here.

The whole situation just really upset me. They are supposed to be their friends.

Quoting dalbax2: I would be upset w/ negativity but think its a good idea for them to have an understanding of the kids they will be involved in helping. Were these negative comments from the girls themselves writing the info down?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dalbax2
by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:30 AM
Quoting MamaCeleste0722: For the most part, it's been so awesome having these kids be with our kids. The negative info was from the girls themselves. They had a lot of papers with handwritten and computer spreadsheets, with their behavior, good or bad, here or not here.

The whole situation just really upset me. They are supposed to be their friends.

Quoting dalbax2: I would be upset w/ negativity but think its a good idea for them to have an understanding of the kids they will be involved in helping. Were these negative comments from the girls themselves writing the info down?

Yeah....I would be upset. They need to have a less negative way of expressing their observations. Constructive criticism is one thing but not negativity.
awesomemommy2
by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:35 AM
Is the girls who are children any worse than you an adult and a school "professional" sharing this with your mother. Or for that matter the entire cyber world.

If there were to be rules about this sort of thing were they conveyed to the students helping out at the beginning of the year. I also think intent plays a large role. Was the intent to have some data on things to work on for next time or something to post on the kids lockers.
awesomemommy2
by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:42 AM
Where/ how did you get the impression they were friends?

Quoting MamaCeleste0722: For the most part, it's been so awesome having these kids be with our kids. The negative info was from the girls themselves. They had a lot of papers with handwritten and computer spreadsheets, with their behavior, good or bad, here or not here.

MamaCeleste0722
by Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:48 AM
Why the first sentence?? It's part of my job to keep our kids safe, and their parents informed what's going on with their kids per the teacher who is my boss. The general ed kids that come sit with us are there to be their friends. It's not the general kids' job to keep tabs on our kids.

I have no idea what their intent was. I wish I knew. I suggested to the teacher that maybe we need to tell them what their role is at the first of the year.

I'm not really that upset with the 2 girls because they were doing what another friend told them to do. They didn't realize that it was not OK for them to do this. This friend tries to involve herself where it's not appropriate and has tried to restrain one of our kids.

Quoting awesomemommy2: Is the girls who are children any worse than you an adult and a school "professional" sharing this with your mother. Or for that matter the entire cyber world.

If there were to be rules about this sort of thing were they conveyed to the students helping out at the beginning of the year. I also think intent plays a large role. Was the intent to have some data on things to work on for next time or something to post on the kids lockers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaCeleste0722
by Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:49 AM
Why wouldn't they be? They ask to sit with our kids at lunch

Quoting awesomemommy2: Where/ how did you get the impression they were friends?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN