Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Routines

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 8:35 AM
  • 5 Replies

Hello ladies :) I am trying to establish a good routine for my two year old. looking into picture schedules and what not... I was wondering what a good "routine" was for your two year olds on the autism spectrum? 

Also, I hear a lot about how its better for them to be in a routine in a school than at home. but I feel very strongly about keeping my son home based on personal experience and knowledge of how awful the Florida education system is. I was wondering if there are any great suggestions or ideas for good at home routines, or resources with evidence that shows the benefits of having him in a school (besides some of the obvious... Social interaction, structured routines...ect)

If I cant get a good structured routine here at home for him I would consider finding a good school, and I dont know where to start there either, especially financially.  

by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 8:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
letstalk747
by Joy on Mar. 2, 2014 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

i   dont  think  school is the best for every child because many schools are NOT  good for our kids.

A scheduled routine at home i did with my kid was PECS -picture cards , like  put in order of the days routine like- get  up , go pody ,   eat , brush teeth ,  etc...

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Agree with above.  You can use PECS at school or home, you can even just use a camera and take actual pics of activities, settings, people that apply to your child.  IPAD even has electronic versions if you search app store for PECS, social stories, schedules, etc. 

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 1:33 AM
1 mom liked this
When Lina was little I just did the same things everyday at the same time for the most part. She would get upset if I mixed up a step. I didn't know about PECS then, I wish I did.
deadlights86
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:05 AM
1 mom liked this
We tried a routine with all 3 of my boys they absolutely hated it.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this

My son is Autistic but we don't use pictures for a routine as if he sees one particular picture, he wants to do that one thing right then.  He doesn't understand, do this and then that.  But we do use PECs for his other things like eating, toys, therapy, etc.  He's been in a strict routine since he was a baby though...he has Cystic Fibrosis.  He just expects things now.  Hugs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)