Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Feel free to pass this around

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:28 PM
  • 12 Replies

http://notaspecialneedschild.blogspot.com/2014/03/5-things-to-do-if-you-know-non-verbal.html

I finally put pen to paper... Or I guess I should say fingers to keyboard. If you have a non verbal child and want to give people a clue feel free to share this with them.

by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 4, 2014 at 8:21 AM

Love this...thanks for sharing!  My 5 year old is nonverbal.  Hugs mama!

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 8:25 AM

I will check it out.  I have a non-verbal little girl. 

jjamom
by Michele on Mar. 4, 2014 at 8:55 AM
Nicely written and very important points. My son is verbal, but has a severe language disorder, so he tries sometimes to talk to people and sometimes they just say "I can't understand him" and don't try too hard. It's hurtful to me and I can sometimes see it 's hurtful to him and it makes me mad when they don't take the time to even try. He is trying very hard to make a connection with them (it's much harder for him to talk than it is for them to listen) and they can't even make the effort to try.
mandee1503
by Amanda on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:44 AM
Thanks for sharing.
Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:14 AM
Quoting jjamom: Nicely written and very important points. My son is verbal, but has a severe language disorder, so he tries sometimes to talk to people and sometimes they just say "I can't understand him" and don't try too hard. It's hurtful to me and I can sometimes see it 's hurtful to him and it makes me mad when they don't take the time to even try. He is trying very hard to make a connection with them (it's much harder for him to talk than it is for them to listen) and they can't even make the effort to try.

Same here with my son. Some people act angry that he's hard to understand. Others talk in front of him like he can't hear them.
jjamom
by Michele on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:37 AM
Yes, that too, which totally pisses me off! It's very frustrating.

Quoting Bluecalm:
Quoting jjamom: Nicely written and very important points. My son is verbal, but has a severe language disorder, so he tries sometimes to talk to people and sometimes they just say "I can't understand him" and don't try too hard. It's hurtful to me and I can sometimes see it 's hurtful to him and it makes me mad when they don't take the time to even try. He is trying very hard to make a connection with them (it's much harder for him to talk than it is for them to listen) and they can't even make the effort to try.

Same here with my son. Some people act angry that he's hard to understand. Others talk in front of him like he can't hear them.
letstalk747
by Joy on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:52 PM

awesome

squeekers
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 12:01 AM

I hope this isn't over stepping myself, but I do have this that I found from a friend who's son had Asperger's.

mamaclairbear
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 12:19 AM

You're not overstepping at all. I actually adore it when people give me things that I can look at using. 

I may do a variation of this since my son isn't autistic but I bet I could work it around to give him the choice of PECS or Sign. Actually... I wonder if I could use it.

Quoting squeekers:

I hope this isn't over stepping myself, but I do have this that I found from a friend who's son had Asperger's.

raysma07
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:09 AM

That is GREAT!!! thanks for sharing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN