Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

How can we do a better job for moms raising kids with special needs?

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 4:05 PM
  • 8 Replies
2 moms liked this

CM and The Stir would really like to provide complete information and support to moms of special needs kids who come to us looking for help. You all are amazing and help our members so much!

What can we do to be the ultimate place for these moms to go?

Do we need to provide better resources and information?

What kinds of real-life stories would you like to read?

What would we need to do to provide all of the help and support moms need when raising kids with special needs - where you wouldn't feel like they needed to be sent anywhere other than cm and The Stir?​

Are you willing to share your story or advice? Let us know in the comments!

by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 4:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:10 AM
3 moms liked this

Providing great support groups like this one is an amazing start!

I think posting articles about other SN families and struggles they face is a really good thing.  Posting about other online support groups, families, schools, programs, etc. is another good idea for SN families.  

Personally, I love to hear about other families who deal with a medically fragile special needs child similar to mine.  Those with a spouse in the military like mine where the mom is the main provider and is on her own a lot.  

I like to read about other SN children who succeed in life and do amazing things.  Those stories are MUCH more appealing to me than reading the stories about the horrible things that happen to our SN kids.  Those stories are heartbreaking and sure don't give me the warm fuzzies.

This group as well as the Autism group here on CM have been amazing supports to me.  I can only speak for myself but I know other moms have said they feel the same way.  Having a place to go and vent when I need to is very important.  I'm not always able to talk on the phone nor do I have access to other moms like those that are in this group.  These ladies are amazing and the friendships we have are priceless.

I'm more than happy to share my story.  I've already been privately contacted by the editor of The Stir:)

letstalk747
by Joy on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:59 PM

provide  resources and info on various DX's  .Any real life stories i like 

aakeiser
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe have one person every week to share their story. It may help everyone connect better. I know everyone faces different issues and their is time we all face similar issues.
More articles would be good too.
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 1:34 PM

I need ways to better understand the rights of children with special needs, how to obtain those school services/advocates, how to fight for my kids in the lingo that gets educators to pay attention and think this mom knows her rights, etc. 

The ladies in the special needs groups I am involved in are great, and we support each other on a parental level.  What I am lacking is the parental education that should come with special needs diagnosis but do not.

No, I'm not really a story sharer for any type of publication, only privately.

Irislady17
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:57 PM

This is an awesome group of supportive moms, but it is a very generalized group. Special needs encompasses a wide range of things from mental, physical, medical, and intellectual disabilities. It is a great place to vent, and know you will be supported and not judged, but I would love to see more specialized groups on CM.

I personally have looked recently for groups dealing with CP, or tube feeding, and have found none other than here, and those are just my examples. I'm sure alot of us would like to connect with other moms that are going though more of what we are in other specialized areas.

Robin-Christine
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:04 PM

My son has a few diagnoses unique to the pediatric population,he is now 18YO. I am willing to share my sons story. FaceBook has many groups but comparing CM to FB is comparing apples to oranges. I woul dlike to see more focus groups on the diagnoses we  have for our kids. Now a days  special needs can mean something as dramatic as a  medically fragile child or a child with  seizures. Not downplaying seizures at all just trying to make a point

HAHuskey
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:35 PM
A couple more specific groups.
I'd share my story
loveforhope518
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 7:24 AM

I would love to hear other people's stories and resources are great too! A place like this to vent and ask for advice is awesome.  Both our SN children are struggling right now and we would be so thankful for the help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN