Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Poor wiring in the learning disabled child

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:14 AM
  • 11 Replies
2 moms liked this

Dr.Richard Lavoie points out interesting aspect of the poor wiring in children with learning disabilities and language problems is the issue of "kinetic melodies" and the inability to consistently develop and utilize them. kinetic melodies are stored patterns of muscular actions that have a specific sequence and rhythm. They are firmly established and automated by constant repetition. 

For example, writing your signature, you can do it with your eyes closed... Brushing you teeth, you follow the same familiar pattern... When you need to complete this activity (and its everything you consistently do.. Make the beds, unload th dishwasher, walk out of the car into the house, eat) you are on "automatic pilot." It requires nothing of your conscious thought... 

Think of when you were newly married and had to learn a new signature, or when the year changes... When writing the date we "blip" we get it wrong.. We need to start again, until that "kinetic melody" has kicked in and again, the automation kicks in... 

MANY children with learning problems have considerable difficulty establishing kinetic melodies. As a result, their daily routine (brushing their teeth, eating with a spoon, writing their letters, putting on socks/shoes/coat,) becomes as if they are doing it for the first time. The kinetic melody has not been established... For this reason repetitive and routine daily tasks require focused attention, concentration, and sometimes an inordinate amount of time! Lol... Not only that, but even though it is done daily, its easy to see why there are inefficient or incorrect outcomes more often then not.... And sometimes tasks (depending on other factors of the day, demands, energy levels) these tasks are so mentally exhausting that it depletes the childs energy for a while.. Or the day..

teachers, parents and caregivers often find this lack of kinetic melodies to be baffling, and frustrating...why does it take you so long to put on your shoes, you do it everyday! Why cant you remember the y goes below the line? Why cant you hop out of the car faster, Im waiting here in the rain for you!.. We would do well to reflect how frustrating it must be for our children.... 

Just thought Id share... 

by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Hmm.  Interesting. 

MamaCeleste0722
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:26 AM
Thank you for this. My son has learning disabilities, makes total sense why he has such trouble with every day activities
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 8:07 PM
This makes sense. Some of what she does she has to stop and really think about it when I tell her I know you can it, then she'll do it but it takes longer as she thinks about each step she needs to do. After an episode of that she really has trouble remembering and even acts like she is a little more tired than she was 10 minutes earlier.
letstalk747
by Joy on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:14 PM

i agree

Gloria1025
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:22 AM

This makes a lot of sense to me.  Thanks for sharing!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 12, 2014 at 5:29 AM

Does make sense.  Thanks:)

luvnature
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 6:00 AM

My dd (age 22).  still gets frustrated when her shoe laces come undone even though she has tied them tight enough. I keep telling her to either put a know in the bow or make another bow with the loops of the first bow, but she refuses. Aggravating sometimes. I tell her she should just get something that is not so time consuming for her, but she says velcro shoes are for babies. When she says that, I always point out everyone we encounter while walking on the street that has velcro shoes (and guess what, there more adults with velcro shoes than there are kids lol).So I tell her she should not be ashamed of wearing velcro shoes. This makes sense with my dd about a lot of daily activities she does and why she is so darn slow some days. 

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 7:17 AM

You should get her hickies... Look them up.. They are rubber shoe laces that you dont tie! That may be a bit costly, but sounds like ti is a good solution and they are so cool! Lol

Quoting luvnature:

My dd (age 22).  still gets frustrated when her shoe laces come undone even though she has tied them tight enough. I keep telling her to either put a know in the bow or make another bow with the loops of the first bow, but she refuses. Aggravating sometimes. I tell her she should just get something that is not so time consuming for her, but she says velcro shoes are for babies. When she says that, I always point out everyone we encounter while walking on the street that has velcro shoes (and guess what, there more adults with velcro shoes than there are kids lol).So I tell her she should not be ashamed of wearing velcro shoes. This makes sense with my dd about a lot of daily activities she does and why she is so darn slow some days. 

luvnature
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 7:23 AM

thanks for the tip. I will look around for them and see what she thinks. Also size and style are a huge problem with her. It feels like when there are more than 2 different kinds of anything, her brain goes into a confused gear and I hate shopping for just about anything with her. She can take the fun out of a shopping experience because she spends most of her time in one department and can never make up her mind because there are too many things to choose from. 

Quoting SamMom912:

You should get her hickies... Look them up.. They are rubber shoe laces that you dont tie! That may be a bit costly, but sounds like ti is a good solution and they are so cool! Lol

Quoting luvnature:

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 7:30 AM

My hubby and I call that "the decision making disorder." Lol.... Weve named it we see it so often. LOL.. Perhaps you should just order on line in a color she likes? I get that the decision making disorder is based in anxiety... And when we are anxious our thoughts and decisions get all jumbled and we cant think straight... Think of it as a fishing net.... Where when we are calm, the holes of the net are huge and nothing gets stuck.. And when we are nervous/anxious/upset... Our nets become as tight as cheese cloth... Lol.. And nothing can get thru... She doesnt mean to do it.. (Im sure you know) 

Quoting luvnature:

thanks for the tip. I will look around for them and see what she thinks. Also size and style are a huge problem with her. It feels like when there are more than 2 different kinds of anything, her brain goes into a confused gear and I hate shopping for just about anything with her. She can take the fun out of a shopping experience because she spends most of her time in one department and can never make up her mind because there are too many things to choose from. 

Quoting SamMom912:

Quoting luvnature:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)