Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

What types of words or phrases offends you as a mom raising a child with special needs?

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:58 AM
  • 64 Replies

What types of words or phrases offends you as a mom raising a child with special needs? 

A mom doesn't have an "autistic child" -- she has a child who happens to have autism!

Most people mean well, but they often get it wrong. What word, phrase or common way of referring to children with special needs or their particular diagnosis really bothers you? And tell us how they should be saying it!

by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaCeleste0722
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:23 AM
That my kids have a "disease". They have a genetic disorder (NF1). The word "disease" just rubs me the wrong way
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:36 AM
When I'm told there is something"wrong" with my child.

yes, they have autism and DD especially has serious delays, but I don't think they are damaged goods or anything.
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I can't stand the 'R' word.  That just needs to be removed from the english language.  It's called 'intellectually disabled' now which give back a little dignity.  'Mentally retarded' is becoming a term of the past as it continues to get replaced in medical diagnostic criteria and diagnosis codes.  Even the MR waiver is now the ID waiver.  The R word is just the quickest way to be crewel  and talk down to a disabled person. 

And yes, my children HAVE several diagnonsis', but they ARE NOT their diagnosis.  They are children first.  Treat them that way.

jjamom
by Michele on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I dislike anything that makes people with special needs come off as a burden (to their parents, family or to society as a whole). 

Mipsy
by Chelle on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:30 AM
5 moms liked this
Calling sn children "special snowflakes".
jjamom
by Michele on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:34 AM

What the heck is that about?  I had never heard that before and then all the sudden have seen it a couple of times just today.  

Quoting Mipsy: Calling sn children "special snowflakes".

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Yes!  Snowflake is becoming as rude as the 'r' word! 

Mipsy
by Chelle on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:42 AM
It's a rude condescending way to say sn parents think their children are gods given gift to the world and so the world should revolve around them at the cost of those who aren't sn around them. It's massive ignorance rolled into 2 words.

Quoting jjamom:

What the heck is that about?  I had never heard that before and then all the sudden have seen it a couple of times just today.  

jjamom
by Michele on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Oh wow, that's even worse than I thought.  :(

Quoting Mipsy: It's a rude condescending way to say sn parents think their children are gods given gift to the world and so the world should revolve around them at the cost of those who aren't sn around them. It's massive ignorance rolled into 2 words.
Quoting jjamom:

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:16 PM
WOW. I haven't heard that one but that's ridiculous

Quoting Mipsy: It's a rude condescending way to say sn parents think their children are gods given gift to the world and so the world should revolve around them at the cost of those who aren't sn around them. It's massive ignorance rolled into 2 words.

Quoting jjamom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN