Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

How do you manage your children's allergies?

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:40 PM
  • 16 Replies

Do you find it difficult to handle your child's allergies? Do you have trouble with others following your child's diet due to allergies?

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jjamom
by Michele on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:52 PM
My children have no food allergies, thankfully. My oldest son does have seasonal allergies and is allergic to penicillin.

Our friends have two boys with severe food allergies (nuts and eggs) as well as other things like dogs and have had anaphylaxis episodes that are SO scary. We have vacationed with them and it is really hard when we go out to restaurants, especially with the egg allergy, b/c so many things have egg. I feel so bad for their little guy because there is so much he can't have and they have to be so careful.
lillettemomma
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:52 PM
We are very upfront about our daughter's allergies......she is allergic to nuts oranges and tomatoes...she is three and is starting to know her allergies but not completely....but yes out in the real world we still have to be very careful and remind ppl constantly....particularly my mother....Once she got a pizza for her birthday and of course it had sauce and she couldn't eat it
Rust.n.Gears
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:55 PM
Its not food. She's allergic to latex. People don't get it. They only think of gloves. But bandages, balloons, and toys have it. She will cry even at 12. They tell her to chill out. She's trying to get away thouugh because it hits her so fast she can die. Her shot can save her but its painful and puts her in the hospital on a heart monitor. She ends up badly bruised, traumatized, and afraid to leave my side. Or she can end up with a tube down her throat or worse cutting open her chest and a pipe put there. Her worst episode made her arms and legs give out and she felt herself suffocating. She was fully aware. People just don't get it. I do because I have the same allergy. I've been tubed, went into a week long coma, almost died ..... I was pregnant with her. A doctor had ignored my allergy.
Cindy18
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 7:02 PM

OMG! that's awful! 

Quoting Rust.n.Gears: Its not food. She's allergic to latex. People don't get it. They only think of gloves. But bandages, balloons, and toys have it. She will cry even at 12. They tell her to chill out. She's trying to get away thouugh because it hits her so fast she can die. Her shot can save her but its painful and puts her in the hospital on a heart monitor. She ends up badly bruised, traumatized, and afraid to leave my side. Or she can end up with a tube down her throat or worse cutting open her chest and a pipe put there. Her worst episode made her arms and legs give out and she felt herself suffocating. She was fully aware. People just don't get it. I do because I have the same allergy. I've been tubed, went into a week long coma, almost died ..... I was pregnant with her. A doctor had ignored my allergy.

~~Cindy

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Lina doesn't have any allergies per se but she can't have dairy or gluten and yes I have trouble getting DH to completely go along with it. The only real allergies anyone in the house have are the environmental. DH uses Claritin when his act up. Lina I put on Zyrtec if she begins to have problems and keep her on it for the season. A is on Zyrtec, Benedryl, Zantac & gets allergy shots but she is 15 so she knows what to stay away from, the only food is shellfish the rest is environmental. 

Mipsy
by Chelle on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:33 PM
Environmental allergies we use singulair and zyrtec.

Food allergies, well he doesn't eat food and we have no problem getting people to follow that rule at all right now. We've never really had a problem getting others to follow his diet.
Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:35 PM
We don't give him amoxicillin and for his seasonal give him Claritin.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mipsy
by Chelle on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:35 PM
Omg momma I am so sorry! And your right, outside of gloves and balloons, I never thought about what else has latex!

Quoting Rust.n.Gears: Its not food. She's allergic to latex. People don't get it. They only think of gloves. But bandages, balloons, and toys have it. She will cry even at 12. They tell her to chill out. She's trying to get away thouugh because it hits her so fast she can die. Her shot can save her but its painful and puts her in the hospital on a heart monitor. She ends up badly bruised, traumatized, and afraid to leave my side. Or she can end up with a tube down her throat or worse cutting open her chest and a pipe put there. Her worst episode made her arms and legs give out and she felt herself suffocating. She was fully aware. People just don't get it. I do because I have the same allergy. I've been tubed, went into a week long coma, almost died ..... I was pregnant with her. A doctor had ignored my allergy.
Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:37 PM
You sued his pants off and had his license yanked and went public and let everyone know what he did to you to protect other people from him right?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:12 PM

My son's peanut allergy is the only one I have a problem with.  I can keep it out of his food when he is with me, but others do not understand the reading labels and that for him cross contamination in plants is as much of a problem as direct peanuts.  Grandparents make stuff that is not ok, school has peanut protein all over from other kids eating peanut butter.  I'd just love to not have that one allergy.  The rest, are easier as not life threatening.  And at this stage he does not have the mental capacity to have any responsibility over this himself. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)