Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

I've reached my limit. Suggestions welcome

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:31 PM
  • 9 Replies

I've reached my limit with Cody. He can be perfectly fine and then someone will say something or do something and it's like a switch gets flipped. Also, he can be fine for everyone else but the second he sees or hears me coming he starts acting out.His behavior and attitude are out of control. It's too the point now where I am going ask his dr about getting a therapist. He yells, screams, talks back, hits, kicks, bites, punches....you name it he does it. He's not doing his pt/OT home therapy program and getting him to his school work is like pulling teeth. He's already lost tv, toys, iPad, dirtbike and park time. 

I will give him that there have been a lot of changes going on at home but it still doesn't make it okay. I've tried calm down bottles, and color zones, being super nice, being strict and everything in between. Nothing's working. 

I don't know what else to do for him. Any suggestions/ideas/advice

by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
letstalk747
by Joy on Mar. 14, 2014 at 3:21 PM

alot of kids can be this way , what has his DR said about all this , meds at this point  may really help , if he is on them he needs a med check at his DR.s.

Codysmom2106
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 4:11 PM

At his last appt they changed his meds and it just made it worse. He has another appt in a couple of weeks so I'm going to bring it up again. Thank you for the suggestion. 

Quoting letstalk747:

alot of kids can be this way , what has his DR said about all this , meds at this point  may really help , if he is on them he needs a med check at his DR.s.

jjamom
by Michele on Mar. 14, 2014 at 4:30 PM
Have you checked into getting a behavioral assessment or ABA therapy?

I'm sorry you're going through this and hope you find a solution soon.
Codysmom2106
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Quoting jjamom: Have you checked into getting a behavioral assessment or ABA therapy? I'm sorry you're going through this and hope you find a solution soon.

No we haven't been to this point before. It's something I will definitely bring up with his dr. Thank you for the suggestion.

jjamom
by Michele on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:04 PM
You're welcome. I hope things calm down and/or you are able to get him the help he needs.

Quoting Codysmom2106:

Quoting jjamom: Have you checked into getting a behavioral assessment or ABA therapy?

I'm sorry you're going through this and hope you find a solution soon.

No we haven't been to this point before. It's something I will definitely bring up with his dr. Thank you for the suggestion.

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:11 PM

*HUGS* 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 15, 2014 at 6:51 AM

Hugs mama...I definitely agree with checking into behavioral therapy.  

aakeiser
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:16 AM
Hugs! Maybe he needs a break from all the therapy? I think sometimes we try to do so much for our kids to help them and so do the therapist that we forgot to let them be kids. I know from my experience with my son he would get angry and not want to do his therapy at home. He needed a few days off to a week. We use to have therapy in school and outside of school. We would drive to the children's hospital near us sometimes twice a week. When my son wad getting burnt out he would act out.
I know this maybe something different all together, and you should really talk to his doctor and therapist about this and see if they might have some ideas to help you. Maybe something is going on at school?
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:27 PM
Don't take his behavior personally. Sometimes our kids can hold it together for others and lose it with us. It might be because they feel our stress. Or maybe they know we're afraid of what they might behave like. Sometimes its because they're simply comfortable enough around us to lose it and know we won't judge them or stop liking them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)