Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Number of IEP Goals???

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:55 PM
  • 36 Replies

How many IEP goals do your kids have?  Mine have always had like 3-4 in prek.  We just wrote their kinder ones and they have 7-9 for next year in elementary.  Is that normal?  Is that a lot?   

by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dawncs
by Dawn on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:07 PM

There is no norm for the number of goals in an IEP from my own personal experience. It depends on the child and the challenges they face with their diagnosis. It is also dependent on the number of services they receive through the IEP (http://www.wrightslaw.com/).

nicki.hemingway
by Nicki on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:10 PM

IEP goals depends on the child and what they need.  My ds has 9 goals for when he went to Preschool. 

He had 3 bahavior

2 speech (1 for voac and 1 for clarity of speech)

1 for fine motor

2 for gross motor

1 for general developmental skills

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilySlim Weight loss tickers
jjamom
by Michele on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:12 PM
I think it's pretty normal. i'd have to look to see exactly how many Alex had in K, but what he has now is pretty close in amount to what he had then. He currently has 2-4 objectives (but one goal) in each of the following areas: fine motor, reading fluency, reading comprehension, math, oral motor and speech production, receptive language, expressive language.

So, he currently has 7 goals, but 21 objectives. He also had PT goals up until this new IEP. Now he gets adaptive PE, but no PT.

ETA: I agree with the other replies, it depends on the number of services the child needs. Each service area will have at least one goal. Some kids just need speech, some need speech, PT, OT, academics and more... I did read recently (in getting ready for Alex's last IEP) that it is generally recommended that each goal not have more than 4 objectives.
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Can you give me an example of 'objectives' under a goal?  Is that like say with potty training there are like 10 steps to take pants down, go, wipe, pants back up, water on, soap, wash hands, water off, dry?  Or is it 'objective' something else? 

Quoting jjamom: I think it's pretty normal. i'd have to look to see exactly how many Alex had in K, but what he has now is pretty close in amount to what he had then. He currently has 2-4 objectives (but one goal) in each of the following areas: fine motor, reading fluency, reading comprehension, math, oral motor and speech production, receptive language, expressive language. So, he currently has 7 goals, but 21 objectives. He also had PT goals up until this new IEP. Now he gets adaptive PE, but no PT. ETA: I agree with the other replies, it depends on the number of services the child needs. Each service area will have at least one goal. Some kids just need speech, some need speech, PT, OT, academics and more... I did read recently (in getting ready for Alex's last IEP) that it is generally recommended that each goal not have more than 4 objectives.

letstalk747
by Joy on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:40 PM

it depends some goals may be very easy to meet and others they know will take longer ,

my kid 6-7

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:42 PM
Objective is examples of how they demonstrate that they're mastering that skill.

Jeremiah has potty training on his too. So his objectives are something like:
vocalize need for using the bathroom
undressing without help
washing hand unassisted
and each of those have a number like 3/3 times or something.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Can you give me an example of 'objectives' under a goal?  Is that like say with potty training there are like 10 steps to take pants down, go, wipe, pants back up, water on, soap, wash hands, water off, dry?  Or is it 'objective' something else? 

Quoting jjamom: I think it's pretty normal. i'd have to look to see exactly how many Alex had in K, but what he has now is pretty close in amount to what he had then. He currently has 2-4 objectives (but one goal) in each of the following areas: fine motor, reading fluency, reading comprehension, math, oral motor and speech production, receptive language, expressive language. So, he currently has 7 goals, but 21 objectives. He also had PT goals up until this new IEP. Now he gets adaptive PE, but no PT. ETA: I agree with the other replies, it depends on the number of services the child needs. Each service area will have at least one goal. Some kids just need speech, some need speech, PT, OT, academics and more... I did read recently (in getting ready for Alex's last IEP) that it is generally recommended that each goal not have more than 4 objectives.

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:44 PM
Maggie has like 15 goals on hers I think, but separated into different categories. I can't remember how many Jeremiah has. It seems he's stuck on the same ones he has been all year 😞
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:49 PM

It just seems like so many.  Two of my kids were not passing any when they only had 3-4.  Now 7-9 just seems like the time will be spread so thin to concentrate on any to pass.  I mean is the point to not pass?  They seem so hard to achieve. 

Quoting arkansasmama08: Maggie has like 15 goals on hers I think, but separated into different categories. I can't remember how many Jeremiah has. It seems he's stuck on the same ones he has been all year 😞

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:50 PM

It just seems like so many that time will be so spread out trying to meet them.  Two of my kids have never passed a goal, and looking at them with the rubric, I don't see them passing any next year! 

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:52 PM
They usually have a target developmental point they're aiming for during that year. Somewhere before the goals it should say so thing like "this year so-and -so will advance from 12 months to 24 months within the year". And then they list the goals they need in order to achieve that main goal of reaching that age range

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

It just seems like so many.  Two of my kids were not passing any when they only had 3-4.  Now 7-9 just seems like the time will be spread so thin to concentrate on any to pass.  I mean is the point to not pass?  They seem so hard to achieve. 

Quoting arkansasmama08: Maggie has like 15 goals on hers I think, but separated into different categories. I can't remember how many Jeremiah has. It seems he's stuck on the same ones he has been all year 😞

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)