Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Ways to make your IEP meeting more fun!

Posted by   + Show Post

One of my bosses sent me this link. It's hilarious! 

http://www.mostlytruestuff.com/2012/11/ways-to-make-your-next-iep-awesome/

These are my favorites:

• Hand out your own goals at the beginning of the meeting. “The Speech and Language Pathologist will bark when someone says ‘IEP’ 2 out of 3 times with minimal prompting” Measure goals at the end of the meeting. 
  • Say “listening ears” whenever they’re not listening to what you’re saying
  • Answer everything in the form of a question. Like Jeopardy
  • Bring Scooby Snacks and throw one to the person whenever you like what they said.
  • Elbow your husband and wink knowingly (but act as if you thought you were being subtle about it and don’t think they’ll notice) at every other, then every third thing someone else says, shifting the pattern every so often, completely randomly. They will go nuts trying to figure out the connection between the statements you’re taking issue with.
  • At the end, laugh your ass off and then say “Okay you guys, let’s do the real one”
  • Bring your own attendance sheet with celebrity names on them. “Sorry, we either wait for Brad Pitt to arrive or I need you to sign a waiver saying it’s okay that we had this meeting in his absence.”
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:18 AM
Replies (11-14):
coleysmama
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:43 PM
Ours is this coming Tues and I just read these to my husband. I had to go back and warn him NOT to do any of these or I'd kill him... lol
lm0808
by New Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:45 PM

ours is on April 1 these would so much fun !!

Cindy18
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:58 PM

I double-dog dare ya to do one of these! :)

Quoting lm0808:

ours is on April 1 these would so much fun !!

~~Cindy

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 11:11 PM

I started to laugh reading these and everyone in the livingroom looked at me like I was nuts. They don't understand about IEP meetings and how nerve wracking or irritating they can be. So I just kept laughing as I re-read them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)