Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Do People Have a Right To Be Angry?

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 1:37 PM
  • 11 Replies

Anti-Vax Jenny McCarthy Ripped to Shreds After Asking Completely Innocent Question

by Nicole Fabian-Weber

jenny mccarthyPerhaps it's because Kristin Cavallari just said that she doesn't vaccinate her son, due to the fear that immunizations cause autism, but Jenny McCarthy is getting a lot of hate thrown her way right now, sort of out of left field. After McCarthy wrote the innocuous tweet, "What is the most important personality trait you look for in a mate? Reply using #JennyAsks," a whole slew of people attacked the View cohost for her anti-vax stance, and as the person who started the vaccination/autism connection rumor.

On the one hand, I think some of the comments are out of line, being that Jenny's question had nothing to do with the issue. But on the other, if a celeb is going to use their position to spread potentially dangerous medical misinformation, they ought to be ready for the pro-science community to speak up.

But yikes. Check out some of the responses Jenny got.

• "Somebody who gets that refusing vaccines because of 'toxins' and then shilling for e-cigs makes you a pathetic hypocrite #JennyAsks" 
  • "Someone who think vaccines are safe"
  • "#JennyAsks Someone who doesn't spread false info causing disease"
  • "Someone who believes in data & science, not discredited, fake medical 'experts' or anecdotal evidence"
Jenny is yet to respond to the comments (and, uh, probably best she doesn't if she doesn't want this to get even bigger), but again, it isn't a complete shock that Twitter users would attack her after Cavallari vocalized that she's following in her footsteps and not vaccinating her children.

I feel sort of bad for McCarthy that she's being ripped to shreds for asking a non-controversial question that has nothing to do with vaccinations whatsoever, but she probably shouldn't expect to live this one down. She was involved in the serious spreading of wrong information, and influenced a lot of people. There ought to be some accountability.

Do you think people were out of line in their comments to McCarthy?
Do you think they have a right to be angry?
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Mar. 17, 2014 at 3:31 PM
I think people can be mad about it even though it was years ago. But answering her that way is ridiculous.
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Quoting mandee1503: I think people can be mad about it even though it was years ago. But answering her that way is ridiculous.

agree.

The same w/ Cavalleri. I've never heard of her until now. Just googled the story. But they asked *her*. Its not like she's setting up a campaign.

There is free speech in this country. People are capable of making their own choice to either listen to celebrities or the medical community.

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 3:50 PM

They have a right to be angry about her stance. As far as this twitter question? The question had nothing to do with the answers that she got. I don't think people should've taken to the anti-vax thing with a question that had nothing to do with it. 

jjamom
by Michele on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:11 PM
3 moms liked this
I think there are still plenty of people who still believe that vaccines cause Autism, and it's not because of Jenny McCarthy. The claim was being made by many parents before she ever spoke out about it.

She is a celebrity and fellow parent, not a medical professional. She has the right to believe what she believes about her son and what caused his Autism, just as much as any other parent out there. The fact that she has a platform to speak about it because she is a celebrity does not mean she is accountable for anyone choosing not to vaccinate their child. They have free will, medical advice and other means of research and data available to them.
And they have their own experience.

People just love to bash other people, that's what I think. And yeah, to answer her tweet that way is ridiculous.
Mipsy
by Chelle on Mar. 17, 2014 at 5:44 PM
I'll admit dh and I laughed our butts off at her e-cig commercial. Will condone that but not vaccines, makes sense.
letstalk747
by Joy on Mar. 17, 2014 at 6:18 PM

i do think out of line.

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 7:52 PM
No,I don't think they have a right to be angry about it. She's a parent and has the right to make those choices for her children. We don't vaccinate for pretty much the same reasons she chooses not to. BUT, I will say we try to keep other toxins out of their lives as well. We don't smoke, drink, let them eat candy or junk a lot, and rarely do they get pop. I think anything we can do to improve their health and lesson their risks is a good thing.

now, I do agree that autism isn't solely caused by vaccines. I believe its mostly just a genetic flaw somewhere during prenatal development. But, I do also know there ARE cases where it is the cause. I don't think my kids' autism was caused by them. I think they were born with it. I don't like the toxins, sheer number of vaccines they are given, or the reactions my kids had to them.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 18, 2014 at 5:55 AM

People are ridiculous.

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:16 AM
People always wanna bitch&moan.
Cindy18
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 6:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think anyone should have attacked her in an unrelated question like that. I think she should be held accountable for her comments and views on the issue but it was not the right time or place. 

Do people have the right to be angry at her for her stance on vaccines? IDK, everyone has the right to their feelings.... BUT she is not a doctor or even any kind of professional in the field of autism or vaccines, so if you, as a fan, chose not to vax just because of her views then that's YOUR choice. 

If I had fans, hahaha..., and I said that I believe when it snows, my family gets hives and rashes so they MUST be allergic to the snow and I believe everyone should move to Hawaii so that more people don't become allergic to the snow. Then my fans believe that the same thing is happening in their house because they heard me say that and they move to Hawaii, then it's still their choice to move to Hawaii. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)