Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Selfcare issues.

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 3:03 PM
  • 8 Replies

My son who is the process of being diagnoised with possible ADD/SPD, or CBDC...somthing like that complex brain somthing...

Thing is it is such a battle to get him to brush his teeth, have a shower, or put on deorderant...and yes even at 8 he needs it..

He complains he doesnt like the way the toothbrush feels, I have tried many different ones, soft, battery powered, electric, different tooth paste, any advice?

The shower he just balks at, but loves to swim, he will fight me tooth and nail, he can have a bath, but it doesnt get clean enough, and if he doesnt rince off he will itch like mad.

by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 3:58 PM

For the deodorant issue what does he say about it. If it is the smell maybe try exposing him to different scents. Maybe at the store open some of the containers and let him smell them to see if he finds one that he really likes or one that has NO smell at all. If it is the way that they go on there are the solids, gels, or sprays maybe something different in texture? The only other thing I can think of would be to get some of the dry wash or the wash stuff that you don't have to rinse off and use it on his underarms everyday.

For the toothbrush I don't have anything.

The bath/shower could you give him the bath then drain the water and refill the tub to rinse him off? 

You have probably tried all those things that I've suggested but those are the only ideas that I've come up with. 

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Do you thnk the brushing is an oral motor issue or a tactile issue? 

d also wonder if the bath was a tactile issue as well. 

Does he have an OT or get any sensory integration? 

Id check out sensorysmart.com to see if they have some suggestions as all his issues seem to be based in his sensory processing disorder. its tough to work around, but you guys will need to work together to find what works for him, sensorysmart or some other sensory websites may have some suggestions you could suggest to him to see what he might think works for him.. Since it is his body, his senses.... 

jjamom
by Michele on Mar. 17, 2014 at 5:37 PM
My son has sensory issues, too. He only now brushes his teeth without a major struggle. I still brush for him because he doesn't brush well enough on his own.

He also still takes a bath. I worry because his core balance is still not great and the water from the shower freaks him out, so j just know he'd fall trying to scramble away from it.

I wonder if with the deodorant it is a scent issue or maybe he doesn't like if it feels too "gloopy" under his arms. Maybe take him to the store and let him smell a few and feel them an he can choose one? Maybe he'd like a certain scent better than others and/or a drier powdery kind better than like a gel or roll on (wet)?
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 7:39 PM
We really dont have any teeth brushing issues. Maggie and Jeremiah both have oral motor issues and hate having their back teeth brushed because it gags them. It might sound strange, but have you tried the fingertip brushes like you use for babies? They're rubber, not bristles, so it might feel better to him. If he has oral motor problems too, it might help that since he can control the pressure and thus the amount of input.

for the showers, I'm afraid I have nothing. Its a big fight here too, especially with Jeremiah. Maggie and Jeremiah refuse to stand under the water, so we got the hose that we can take down. We hose them off, wash them down quick, rinse again and pull them out lol. I can do each in 5 minutes or less lol. If the hair is the issue, try keeping ot real short, like a buzz cut. Then just skip the shampoo, wipe it down with a wet washcloth before you wash him, and call it good lol.

for deodorant, does he tell you why he doesn't like it? The smell? Feel? Does it irritate his skin? He's so young that the latter is my guess. Maybe talk to his Dr or even a pharmacist to see which is the most gentle. If its a texture thing, maybe a spray on instead of a stick?

that's all I got. Sensory issues can be so hard to work around. Good luck mama!
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:16 AM

CBDC?

Who is dxing him?

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 18, 2014 at 5:48 AM

Hugs mama!  My son is 5.5 years old and isn't able to do any of those things yet but we'll get there.  Good luck!

Molimomma
by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this

All I have is advice for the deodorant issue, you can buy or make deoderant from coconut oil, baking soda, and essential oils that would be more natural, I obsorbed quickly and smell less. That might help. You can buy some on Etsy or make your own, there are tons of recipes on Pinterest. Coconut oil and baking soda can be bought in most grocery stores these days so it's cheap and easy.

crazy4chapstick
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:16 PM

i was going to suggest the baby finger tooth brushes too.

my daughter prefers baths and the shower head still scares her. i bath her then drain the water and refill the tub with clean water and let her play in that.

Quoting arkansasmama08: We really dont have any teeth brushing issues. Maggie and Jeremiah both have oral motor issues and hate having their back teeth brushed because it gags them. It might sound strange, but have you tried the fingertip brushes like you use for babies? They're rubber, not bristles, so it might feel better to him. If he has oral motor problems too, it might help that since he can control the pressure and thus the amount of input. for the showers, I'm afraid I have nothing. Its a big fight here too, especially with Jeremiah. Maggie and Jeremiah refuse to stand under the water, so we got the hose that we can take down. We hose them off, wash them down quick, rinse again and pull them out lol. I can do each in 5 minutes or less lol. If the hair is the issue, try keeping ot real short, like a buzz cut. Then just skip the shampoo, wipe it down with a wet washcloth before you wash him, and call it good lol. for deodorant, does he tell you why he doesn't like it? The smell? Feel? Does it irritate his skin? He's so young that the latter is my guess. Maybe talk to his Dr or even a pharmacist to see which is the most gentle. If its a texture thing, maybe a spray on instead of a stick? that's all I got. Sensory issues can be so hard to work around. Good luck mama!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN