Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Sensory issues, help me understand

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 7:19 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this
My daughter is 11, and she is receiving OT for fine motor as well as for her sensory. Can a child be defensive and a seeker? For example, she hates hugs, and different textures. However, she seems to like lots of pressure. Today during OT, she kept throwing herself on the mats. We do brushing and joint compressions. OT also suggested a bean bag. Anyone have experience with this?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 7:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 7:26 PM
Yep. My daughter is 5 and scored high in all categories; defensive, seeker, avoider, and one more but I can't remember what its called lol. You just have to learn how she reacts to each type of input. Maggie doesn't like weighted vests, but does great with compression. She doesn't like loud places or florescent lights. She loves dancing in circles and flopping on the couch and her bean bag.

I'm assuming you did a sensory profile with her. Read the results of each category and try to apply it to her life. It gets easier quickly 😊
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 7:48 PM
*Hugs*
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Yes your child can have both.  My son has sensory issues in 95% of his day according to his doc.  Some things he is a seeker (deep pressure hugs, stiff tickles, sensory fidget toys, spinning, swinging) and others avoids (gentle touch, food textures, sound, light).  Just depends.

MamaCeleste0722
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:30 PM
Thank you guys for the input! I did a sensory profile but some of it was to understand. I was talking to my husband who is a Sp Ed teacher wasn't surprised at all. I can't believe I missed it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:45 PM
Its so hard to figure out. Don't feel bad.

Quoting MamaCeleste0722: Thank you guys for the input! I did a sensory profile but some of it was to understand. I was talking to my husband who is a Sp Ed teacher wasn't surprised at all. I can't believe I missed it.
aakeiser
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 9:48 PM
It takes time to learn it all and when we think we have they all the sudden have a new strange sensory issue. I try not to read into my son's sensory issues. I learned to just go with those and his ocd.
Rust.n.Gears
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 9:51 PM
Oh absolutely. I'm that way. I can't stand many forms of contact but love being pulled, pressed on, and have my hair pulled. I will yank it when frustrated.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 18, 2014 at 5:52 AM

Hugs mama!!!

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 4:43 PM

its hard to understand how someones "senses" dont work right... and who kew there were 8 of them!?!?! LOL.. Sure, I always knew the big 5... but proprioceptive, vestibular and introception all threw me for a loop when I was first learning about sensory integration. HUGS.. its tricky... but when your body feels off, you need this input to regulate..

letstalk747
by Joy on Mar. 19, 2014 at 1:00 AM

yes with my son - 14 , this is common , liking pressure - pressure seeking its grounding and calming ,keeps  a place in your mind to focus on that you feel ,  ,   has  she used compression vests  , shorts , pants , tops. Bean bag for that feeling of what it gives against the body , wearing a backpack around the house filled with books or cans or ?

this is all usually calming , grounding , and keeps the mind on what  is being worn or sitting in or feeling against the body- sensory seeking.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)