Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

need some help/advice

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:20 AM
  • 9 Replies
My lil man who has spd only diagnosis so far. Had eeg but didnt show any signs of seizures and I have appts for neurologist and primary he has very bad outburst way to calm him down is rub by his ears or his head his therapist who weve only been able to see cpl times said its the pressure of it he likes but the last week he hasnt even wantee to sleep without me rubbing his head or putting pressure by his ear or below it he has no ear infection hes always gone around messing with jis eara but hasnt really ever had ear infection my question is we are soooo sleep deprived any advixe on how I can give him what hea looking for when it comes to his head so that I dont have sit and just hold him all night rubbing his head just hell sleep!! Or do u really believe this is sensory or what?? Ive never dealt witg sensory before him so new to all of it but as much as he needs me to rub his head I get so worried and think something is wrong!! He is 15months by the way any advice suggestions anything is much appreciated
by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 12:56 PM

My son is a sensory kid, I feel for ya.  That is one of our hardest challenges!!!

You could try puting in a noise blocking headset that because they are kind of big and bulky may just put enough pressure on that spot to stimulate whatever feeling he is looking for.  The other idea I have is to as you're rubbing with your hands, put his hands up there to teach him how to do it for himself.  If he can learn to self sooth when he needs it, it frees you up to sleep.  15 months may be young to start learning this, but you can try to just do hand over hand teaching.  In a way it's kind of great he has a magic 'turn off' button that calms him and gets him out of the sensory mode (my son is just set to on all the time), but would be nice if you can remove yourself from the soothe.  Maybe even try a 2nd pillow to help him prop his head up farther and see if anything gives there.  Good luck!!  Oh, and maybe ask your regular pedi at your appt about melatonin.  I've never used it, but a lot of mamas here have with their kids as a natural sleep aid. 

letstalk747
by Joy on Mar. 24, 2014 at 2:32 PM

whats his DR say about this

MamaLauri
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Does he only need his head rubbed when he puts his head down? How does he react to a noisy shopping mall or supermarket? If he needs pressure only when his is down, he might have sinus/allergy issues. He might also want the security of you next to him as he falls to sleep. I would try a couple of experiments so you can give your Dr. the most information. At 15 months, he might be able to indicate where the pain is if you point and ask him. 

raysma07
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Have you tried Brushing or compression therapy? I had tolay next to my son and do compressions on his arm or do brushing so he could fall asleep until he was 5 yrs. now he uses a weigted blanket ,

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:08 PM
Its definitely a sensory issue. Does he have an ot? I would ask them if they have any suggestions. Being only 15 months, I'm having trouble thinking of anything age appropriate lol. I agree with maybe trying to teach him how to do it. I've seen several kids that play with their hair or rub their head while going to sleep, and some not much older than him. If its the pressure he likes, id say maybe try having him wear like a tight beanie hat and see if that helps. But being so little that may be a safety issue too. Definitely check him for allergies if its pressure related. Does he get colds or cough often? Is he a mouth breather mostly? If yes, you may want to have him tested for asthma.

just a few thinks to think about. If there's no medical reason you can find behind it, its just a sensory craving. If you try doing it more during the day just snuggling, maybe he'll get enough input throughout the day that he'll need it less at night.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 25, 2014 at 6:55 AM

Hugs mama...sensory issues...I'm with you.  

Kjones1988
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 9:58 AM
Yah he doesnt like even going to walmart for example if were in line and its super busy he starts flipping out screaming trying to bang his head we do brushing he has an ot im planning on talking to her at his next appt as this just started or gotten worse I should say . He does have allergies as well. Little worried about putting to many things on his head do to safety. He is mainly in therapy sbecause he doesbt eat well at all they dont get to see what we see every day so they mainly think his only issue is eating but its not.
MamaLauri
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:50 PM

I would strongly recommend multi-sensory integration activities, especially swinging. You can place a pleasant scent or sound device at one end of the swing extent.

We ignore 99% of what we sense, because we have learned it is safe to ignore. Oversensitivity or sensory-overload often is due to little ones not understanding what can be safely ignored. Figuring out the sources and showing him one at a time what is causing the sound and it is safe frequently decreases the sensitivity. SHOW, don't simply TELL, which he can't understand even if you use a calming voice. 

Does he imitate peoples actions and act in a way to get people attention on his interests,eg. point or pull on you to take you to what he wants?

Cindy18
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 2:25 AM
I don't have any ideas but these ladies are full of some great suggestions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)