Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Just in need of some advice please ( kindda long)

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 5:41 PM
  • 8 Replies

hi, my name is ashley i am new to cafemom. I have 20month old son, who hasn't been diagnosed, with any type of specal needs yet. Before i ask my quetion i would like to make it clear that I am not trying to be disrepectfull at all. I know that i need to talk to his doctor(witch i have) i am just tring to do some recherche of my own, and what better place then mommy's with specal need children.

with that said i would like to give you all some backgrowend info on my son, and just see what you all think. He has always been a veary cranky baby, from day one. Has never taken naps, and up until he was 12months didnt sleep veary well at night. (now he will sleep all night, but still no naps)

He always has to have something to eat, he will eat anything. if he isnt eating something he is normaley screaming for food. He has always been very tempermintle. He will be just fine on min then the next scraming and throwing a fit, headbutting you, or hiting you, he also likes to hit his head of stuff. ( i am scard he is going to really hurt his self) all you have to do to set him off is look at him.

there are days that he is supper loveable and loves talking to people (even strangers) then he has days to when some one says someting to him he is scream and hit hit them. He Hates being loved on (huged, kissed) he will scram and fight you if you try

He was a late to crawl and walk. He was 10 months when he crawled for the first time and 17 months befor he walked. I have talked to his doctor about it at first they said it was his formula so they swiched it about 5 times, then they said he was coliky(sp?) then now that he is older they have set me up with a beahavior specialits, he has only gone twice (so maybe i need to give it more time) but all they seem to be working on with him is his speach ( witch i belive he dons't have a problem with)

what are your thoughts, on this do you think he is just being a normal kid or do you think there is more to it?

what are some tip/steps that i can take in being able to contrule/handle him better?

Thanks in advance, any advice or input is welcom.

(sorry for bad spelling, i suck at it lol)

by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
jjamom
by Michele on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I think I would take him to a Developmental Pediatrician for an evaluation. A few things you mentioned sound like they could be red flags for autism or ADHD. But, only they can really tell you. There are other diagnoses that they may be able to rule out as well. Of course, it could be nothing. At 20 mos sometimes it's hard to know for sure. A Dev Ped is your best bet to finding out if something more is really going on.

Good luck!

ashee20230807
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jjamom: I think I would take him to a Developmental Pediatrician for an evaluation. A few things you mentioned sound like they could be red flags for autism or ADHD. But, only they can really tell you. There are other diagnoses that they may be able to rule out as well. Of course, it could be nothing. At 20 mos sometimes it's hard to know for sure. A Dev Ped is your best bet to finding out if something more is really going on. Good luck!

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:08 PM

I agree here.  That is the only way you'll know what you are dealing with.  

You may want to check out autismspeaks.org as well and do the MCHAT survey that would tell if you had any red flags for autism that you could then discuss with your doctor.  It also has a listing of milestone delays and behaviors based on age that you could compare to your son.  Best of luck!!

Quoting jjamom: I think I would take him to a Developmental Pediatrician for an evaluation. A few things you mentioned sound like they could be red flags for autism or ADHD. But, only they can really tell you. There are other diagnoses that they may be able to rule out as well. Of course, it could be nothing. At 20 mos sometimes it's hard to know for sure. A Dev Ped is your best bet to finding out if something more is really going on. Good luck!

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 12:36 AM
I agree with all the ladies said. A developmental pedi is where you need to go to get some answers. With his eating issues is overweight? I have a little one who wants to eat constantly and we are fighting a weight problem on top of her other issues so for me an eating issue added to his other behaviors is very concerning. Good Luck!
Cindy18
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 2:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I think the constant hunger is odd. There are issues where a person can't feel that their stomach is full.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 27, 2014 at 4:49 AM

Welcome!  My son is Autistic and I definitely agree with the ladies that you might want to take him to a developmental pediatrician to get him evaluated.  He sounds like he'd benefit from a behavior therapist (as you're doing) as well as an Occupational therapist.  Hugs mama!

ashee20230807
by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Quoting Linagma03: I agree with all the ladies said. A developmental pedi is where you need to go to get some answers. With his eating issues is overweight? I have a little one who wants to eat constantly and we are fighting a weight problem on top of her other issues so for me an eating issue added to his other behaviors is very concerning. Good Luck!

No he is not overweight, but he is aslo really tall for his age, and veary active he never stay still for very long, and i make sure i give him heathy snaks.

MamaLauri
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like both you and he have a brain architecture with strong right hemisphere and local connectivity dominance. This can be very good or bad depends on your environment and how well people understand how to communicate with you or if you are labeled with a learning disability.

Why you, you may ask. Because your poor spelling indicates at least mild what some people call dyslexia.

His bad times are probably due to sensory overload. It is important that you carefully log what is happening during those times, so you understand his triggers, and later deal with his triggers.

It is important to know he learns through his visual and kinetic systems, not as much verbal. So he needs to learn about his world by you showing, especially hand over hand. Keep him away from sources of overstimulation like TV and video-games.

If you have more questions feel free to contact me. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)