Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

What inventions do you use to make your and your child's life easier?

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 8:04 AM
  • 9 Replies
What invention (like the Upsee or Caroline's Cart) do you use to make your and your child's life easier?

How does it make things easier?

How does your child respond to it?
by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 8:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
letstalk747
by Joy on Mar. 27, 2014 at 12:10 PM

when my son was a baby his dad  built a held up - slant up  into his crib because my son had to have his upper body up elevated at all times  , we havent bought anything

mandee1503
by Amanda on Mar. 27, 2014 at 1:34 PM
So far just an iPad.
jjamom
by Michele on Mar. 27, 2014 at 2:20 PM
I'd have to say the honey bear cup http://www.talktools.com/honey-bear-w-flex-straw/

My son has severe feeding issues and delayed oral motor development. He was bottle dependent until around age 5. He started using this cup and we could squeeze it for him to get the liquid out, then he learned to squeeze it himself and then finally learned to get suction from the straw. It gave him much needed independence. He still uses it, although he since he can get suction now, he could use a cup with any straw. That's our next move! But truly, it is a genius invention!
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I ordered this and am just waiting for it to come, lol!

Quoting jjamom: I'd have to say the honey bear cup http://www.talktools.com/honey-bear-w-flex-straw/ My son has severe feeding issues and delayed oral motor development. He was bottle dependent until around age 5. He started using this cup and we could squeeze it for him to get the liquid out, then he learned to squeeze it himself and then finally learned to get suction from the straw. It gave him much needed independence. He still uses it, although he since he can get suction now, he could use a cup with any straw. That's our next move! But truly, it is a genius invention!

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Halo sleep sacks, they zip from neck down to feet so we could put the triplets oxygen/apnea monitor cords out by their feet instead of neck to wrap around when they slept at night.

Used a baby mobile holder to run my daughters nightly bolus through until she was 14 months old.  Just hooked it up, fed the other babies their bottles, then took it down and went back to bed.

Boppies with rolled up receiving blankets to hold bottles to feed 3 babies at once

My oldest slept in his infant car seat the first 4 months for his bed since his reflux was so bad.  We'd put the seat right in his crib, lol! 

jjamom
by Michele on Mar. 27, 2014 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Let me know how it goes!

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Quoting jjamom: I'd have to say the honey bear cup http://www.talktools.com/honey-bear-w-flex-straw/ My son has severe feeding issues and delayed oral motor development. He was bottle dependent until around age 5. He started using this cup and we could squeeze it for him to get the liquid out, then he learned to squeeze it himself and then finally learned to get suction from the straw. It gave him much needed independence. He still uses it, although he since he can get suction now, he could use a cup with any straw. That's our next move! But truly, it is a genius invention!

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 8:11 PM

I got it put in her IEP too, so the school is going to have to buy one too now! 

Quoting jjamom: Let me know how it goes!
Quoting Momof4AEMW:

jjamom
by Michele on Mar. 27, 2014 at 8:15 PM
Oh, YAY! I was meaning to ask you how it all worked out with getting feeding goals in the IEP. Then I saw earlier you mentioned a few things still needing to be hashes out, so figured I'd wait. Hope the meeting today went well!

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Still not done.  They put the honey bear cup in as a modified equipment or something like that.  Kind of like the modified scoop bowl and OT feeder cup.  The only feeding at moment is to improve self help - more spooning/drink from cup.  I'm still pushing the oral motor and advancing textures, yet I have not signed the IEP yet either.  :)  I'm being stubborn.  

They also would not put in a goal to increase hearing aid wearing time, as my daughter is not the biggest fan and loves to throw them out.  She needs to wear them though and adding time gradually while hard might be the fastest way to get communication going.  They would not do it and her hearing coach dropped off her IEP team.  So I made teach put a note in her IEP that she is expected to wear her hearing aids 100% of her day as all hearing impaired children are.  If they don't want to work with me, they don't leave me much choice.  They can figure out how to make that happen, good luck with her little stubborn self, lol!

But no, my fight today is over my son's peanut issue and current school policies at his school for next year.  They are not as peanut aware/restricted as he current and past school and we're battling over it.  I'm so tired of fighting for all this stuff.  Having 3 sn kids with 3 IEPS, 3 three year evals, 2 health plans and 3 transition plans all being due at same time is really too much for one parent. I wish they were each spaced 1 month a part, so we could really finish one kid before digging in on the next!

Quoting jjamom: Oh, YAY! I was meaning to ask you how it all worked out with getting feeding goals in the IEP. Then I saw earlier you mentioned a few things still needing to be hashes out, so figured I'd wait. Hope the meeting today went well!
Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN