Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Need advice about a possible IEP for a 7 year old with ADHD

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:14 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hi, my 7 year old daughter has severe ADHD-combined type. With her meds and GREAT teachers, she has been doing really well in school so far (she is in second grade). The past 2 months have been a challenge though. She is completely out of control at home, and her schoolwork is also suffering. Her regular doctor was on vacation when we went in this month, so she had to see someone else, and he wasn't comfortable with changing her meds or increasing the dose and asked me to wait until her regular doctor is back.  She is bringing home huge stacks of unfinished work (all at once because nothing leaves her desk unless the teacher makes her clean it out), she is failing about half of her tests, doing great on the other half, she is getting Unsatisfactory in art because of not following directions or not finishing her projects.

I know that when we get her meds sorted out, alot of that should get better, but even when her meds were working great, she still took twice as long as the other kids to take tests. Any work that was done in school that she didn't finish (prior to the past 2 months of chaos) were put on top of her desk, and when the pile got too high, the teacher would have her stay in from one recess and they would work on it together. She brings papers home late (if she brings them home at all) and then throws a fit when she can't do something because it is already over when I get the paper. I am very concerned about what next year is going to be like. Her teachers the last 3 years have been incredible, but she will be in third grade next year. At some point, the teachers aren't going to want to walk her through everything and have to be constantly reminding her to stay on task. I think she might need an IEP but I have no idea how to go about requesting one, or if she would qualify, or what I would even want on it.

If anybody has any advice about the IEP issue, or even anything about teaching time management and organization to a kid this age, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
dawncs
by Dawn on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:18 PM

I know of some great free websites for you. I recommend http://www.chadd.org/, http://www.wrightslaw.com/, and http://www.ldonline.org/.

katie_c25
by New Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Thank you so much!! I will definitely be looking through all of those tomorrow, if I start now I probably won't go to bed lol.

Chirinos
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:30 PM
You can talk to your school about getting your daughter on an IEP and 1 thing I would have on the IEP is to have her tests read to her that way she stays focused on them and besides just her reading the question she is also hearing it read to her. This has really helped both of my boys. Good Luck!
Cindy18
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:40 PM

For organization, A folder with a take home side and to school side can help, also the teacher signing off that she has everything that needs to go home and then you signing off that all the papers are going back to school. It will be a little work on the teacher's part and your part but it will help. She is only 7 and will need a lot of supervision to help instill good habits.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

You can ask the school for a special education evaluation that would qualify/not qualify for an IEP.  Now I believe she has to be academically about 2 years behind grade level, unless she has other delays like speech, fine motor or something like that she needs therapy for.  Or you could ask about a 504 plan that could give her some accommodations/supports to help hrer be successful in classroom if she is not below grade level.  Her doctor could probably recommend some accommodations that may be appropriate for her, if not a developmental pediatrician could. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 28, 2014 at 6:52 AM

These ladies have some good advice.  Welcome and good luck!

proudmomalexis
by Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 8:40 AM
I would just talk to the teacher and principal and request an evaluation due to your daughters struggle. school is used to parents requesting this they will take it from there. write down all your concerns and share.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)