Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Easter Egg Hunt

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 12:18 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

So I am not the mother of a special needs child, I am a proud aunt to two though :) I hope that and the fact that I could one day be the mother of a SNK allows me to post this question.

We are having an Easter Egg Hunt at the park on the 12th for the SNKs in our area. It is open to everyone and the Park Board is helping us out with it. So my question has a few parts:

1st: What type of treats should we have? We would like to have different types of candy and snack pacts, but aren't too sure what type to get (both my nephews get pretty much anything they want). I suggest no hard candy since it could be a choking issue, Tootsie Rolls because they are peanut free (but am worried they could be a choking issue as well), maybe Teddy Grams or the mini bags of cookies? The packages of crackers with cheese instead of Peanut butter? Any ideas??? Would love to hear them.

2nd: We are wanting to give out a toy prize and have this as a list of possible toys: Coloring book with crayons, bubbles, rubber balls at least the size of hand, and stuffed animals (without the eyes that could come off). So again, I would love any other ideas.

3rd: Is there any special way you do an egg hunt? We plan on having the eggs 'hidden' in the grass for the children to go find and having shallow boxes filled with the plastic Easter grass for those in wheelchairs to reach on the table or their lap. None of the eggs will hold candy or items, the kids will all get the same thing after the egg hunt is done (the big prize may differ though the 'snack bag' of treats will be the same).

We are open to any suggestions and are very excited about the hunt. There has never been an event for the SNKs in our area before, they have always just been invited to join in with the other children in their age groups. It is very last minute and we will be better prepared for the event next year :) Thank you ladies for any advice or ideas you give us!

by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 5:00 PM

I have nothing right now. My lo had a hard time last year going in the age group that she is cognitively on level with. The other kids were able to move faster, had the ability to understand the concept of looking around in the grass. She only found the eggs that were in plain sight and then she wasn't able to get many as the other kids got to them first and on a couple of occassions she was in the process of picking an egg up when another non sn kid just took it from her. This year I don't know if we are even going to take her because of the experience she had last year. 

I don't know if her experience will be of any help in giving you ideas. 

I think what you are trying to put together is really nice. Good Luck with it.

letstalk747
by Joy on Mar. 28, 2014 at 8:23 PM

cheese sticks- like you said , cheese crackers-read the label of course, and a small bag of cookies good idea , some kind of juice.

toy prizes- $TREE those plastic wide top rings to wear

3rd one sounds good

please let us know how it went ok , sounds fun

mandee1503
by Amanda on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:40 PM
No ideas. My little one can't hunt at all.
N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:55 PM

I love that idea. My town dont think about special needs kids.  My son in wheelchai and they always do egg hunts in grass. And he dont really understand. We try at home and im the 1 finding them.

soon2bmomof2grs
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Thank you. We have been getting a bunch of bad feedback from those doing the 'reg' egg hunt saying we just need to do it like always, they don't seem to understand that not all kids can do it the regular way.

Quoting N.Carter2001:

I love that idea. My town dont think about special needs kids.  My son in wheelchai and they always do egg hunts in grass. And he dont really understand. We try at home and im the 1 finding them.

soon2bmomof2grs
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Thank you. We have been getting a bunch of bad feedback from those doing the 'reg' egg hunt saying we just need to do it like always, they don't seem to understand that not all kids can do it the regular way.

Quoting Linagma03:

I have nothing right now. My lo had a hard time last year going in the age group that she is cognitively on level with. The other kids were able to move faster, had the ability to understand the concept of looking around in the grass. She only found the eggs that were in plain sight and then she wasn't able to get many as the other kids got to them first and on a couple of occassions she was in the process of picking an egg up when another non sn kid just took it from her. This year I don't know if we are even going to take her because of the experience she had last year. 

I don't know if her experience will be of any help in giving you ideas. 

I think what you are trying to put together is really nice. Good Luck with it.

delia42
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Gold coins, stickers, fruit snacks

N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Had an idea ? Not sure if it any good cause my way of thinking is different cause i have cp. Could you have special needs kids just do on another day ?

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 29, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Same here.  Good luck!

Quoting mandee1503: No ideas. My little one can't hunt at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)