Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

School Aide gets pass for slapping my 4 yo

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 8:15 PM
  • 20 Replies

A few weeks ago, I received a call from a district student services worker. There had been a claim made by other teachers and aides that my child had been the victim of child abuse by a "staff member." They were going to perform a full investigation. The "staff member" was on suspension until the investigation was complete. I didn't freak out on the phone. I asked my son what happened. He said "teacher smack me like this." He slapped his own face. He did not know their name. There were no marks and he forgot about it the next day. My son attends Special Needs classes for speech therapy. His teacher calls me every few days to say that she is having major behavior issues with my son. Saying that he definately has anger and mental health issues. The behavior he is having at school is nothing like what is happening at home. He starts behaviors at home but is easily redirected. Behavior plan attached to IEP is working perfectly now. No issues at school anymore. Redirecting works like a charm.

I called the district services worker back last week. She told me that the behavior that the "staff member" had taken was appropriate. My son is 4. He is not very reliable. I figured that it was a miscommunication between staff and what was "seen." The staff member is returning to work after taking a retraining class. Big weight lifted off my chest.

The police called me a few days ago to let me know that they had gotten the report of child abuse from a teacher at the school following the conclusion of the investigation by the district. I figured it was protocol. Not a big deal.

Received another call from the police. The investigatior said that a teachers aide had slapped my son because he was out of control at school. The actions taken by the teachers aide was acceptable and allowable. The district would handle the retraining and it was completely ok as far as california law and the police were concerned.

I am at a loss for words and completely furious. The behavior he has been having at school is because the school was letting him get his way. He would sit on the ground and say "I want mommy and daddy pick me up. I don't want to go on the bus." They would call us to come get him. WTF is wrong with these people. I don't know what to do I am in complete shock.

by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 8:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
letstalk747
by Joy on Mar. 28, 2014 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this

i would be shocked also , just because the police said that i would ask the school if they will continue this slapping since they arent breaking the law- wow

if they saw yeah  can you get him out of there ? to a diff school

jjamom
by Michele on Mar. 28, 2014 at 8:34 PM
I would file charges against the teachers aide and check into a restraining order. I think it's BS that she will be allowed back to work. Retraining would not be sufficient punishment in my book. She may do this again, to your child or another. She should not be allowed to work with kids.
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 9:01 PM
That's awful 😞. Here our schools still do corporal punishment, which is almost unheard of these days. Frankly, if my kid earned it, that's fine. We spank at home and there is a strict protocol they have to follow. That said, a teacher being allowed to slap a preschoolers across the face is simply sick and ridiculous. I would press charges if I were you.
Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry, I don't follow....how is slapping a 4 year old sped child EVER acceptable?!  Or any child period!!!  What?

Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Yes, Yes, Yes...this person should NOT be coming back to school and being around kids.

Quoting jjamom: I would file charges against the teachers aide and check into a restraining order. I think it's BS that she will be allowed back to work. Retraining would not be sufficient punishment in my book. She may do this again, to your child or another. She should not be allowed to work with kids.

cupcake_troll
by New Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:15 PM
I think this needs to be looked into more. Maybe quietly taken to the press?
Doesn't sit right with me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaCeleste0722
by Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Horrible. Not acceptable under any circumstance. I'd be so pissed. I don't get how she thinks that is ok???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cindy18
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 12:43 PM
I don't really see how she can press charges if the police have already said that aide didn't do anything wrong... My question is if the aide was appropriate then why the retraining?? I think I would look into a different school. I don't usually say that but in this case I think it's warrented.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 12:48 PM
I'm not sure about pressing charges, but i would file a suit against her and the school. They ok slapping a 4 year old sn child across the face "appropriate"?? I get that it is California and all, but that's still insane.

Quoting Cindy18: I don't really see how she can press charges if the police have already said that aide didn't do anything wrong... My question is if the aide was appropriate then why the retraining?? I think I would look into a different school. I don't usually say that but in this case I think it's warrented.
Cindy18
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 12:52 PM

A Civil Suit might be more appropriate. 

No one should be slapping any 4 year old across the face, EVER.

Quoting arkansasmama08: I'm not sure about pressing charges, but i would file a suit against her and the school. They ok slapping a 4 year old sn child across the face "appropriate"?? I get that it is California and all, but that's still insane.
Quoting Cindy18: I don't really see how she can press charges if the police have already said that aide didn't do anything wrong... My question is if the aide was appropriate then why the retraining?? I think I would look into a different school. I don't usually say that but in this case I think it's warrented.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)