Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

a question i never dreamed I'd have to ask...

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:01 PM
  • 17 Replies
How do you teach a preschool boy to spit? Lol no, seriously. I cannot for the life of me teach him to spit. I'm trying to because he swallows toothpaste still, and I'm worried about his teeth. Any advice?
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
letstalk747
by Joy on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:25 PM

DId you model it for him with your toothbrush and paste

mandee1503
by Amanda on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd start with water. That way if he swallows it it won't matter. Also the dentist told me because Jacob can't spit that using just a tiny amount of kid toothpaste is ok if they swallow it.
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:40 PM
Yep..

Quoting letstalk747:

DId you model it for him with your toothbrush and paste

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:42 PM
Our dentist says the same thing. I still worry though. So far he's not spotting and has beautiful teeth, but still..

Quoting mandee1503: I'd start with water. That way if he swallows it it won't matter. Also the dentist told me because Jacob can't spit that using just a tiny amount of kid toothpaste is ok if they swallow it.
Irislady17
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 4:48 AM
Can he maybe take a small sip of water after, then just have him lean over the sink and open his mouth. It will be messy and not quite as effective as spitting, but it should do the job of getting extra tooth paste out.
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 4:53 AM
I've tried that. He automatically swallows lol. I've thought about trying with a tic tac or something, but I'm afraid he would swallow it and choke lol

Quoting Irislady17: Can he maybe take a small sip of water after, then just have him lean over the sink and open his mouth. It will be messy and not quite as effective as spitting, but it should do the job of getting extra tooth paste out.
Cindy18
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 6:24 AM

I like the Tic Tac idea so that he has something to spit out, maybe some crush ice instead that way if he swallows it no harm done.

Quoting arkansasmama08: I've tried that. He automatically swallows lol. I've thought about trying with a tic tac or something, but I'm afraid he would swallow it and choke lol
Quoting Irislady17: Can he maybe take a small sip of water after, then just have him lean over the sink and open his mouth. It will be messy and not quite as effective as spitting, but it should do the job of getting extra tooth paste out.

jjamom
by Michele on Mar. 29, 2014 at 11:56 AM
I have absolutely no idea. My son can't spit either. We have to use a teeny tiny bit of toothpaste because he can't spit it out.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 29, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Brady can't spit as he doesn't understand it so we still use the nonfloride toothpaste.

Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 4:47 PM
My kids used the trainer toothpaste for toddlers until they could spit.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN