Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

My daughter can not even talk, but she's going to change her world!

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:07 PM
  • 10 Replies
2 moms liked this

The Sped teacher of my 5.5 year old daughter that is non-verbal, can't really hear well, has down syndrome, and is functionally about 18-24 mo just sent me an e-mail on the sweetest story!  This year she is in the inclusion class which is co-taught by sped teacher.  At the beginning of the year, this little boy was assigned to sit by her for mealtime.  Initially he was unsure as she appeared different and he did not understand.  His mom and the sped teach advised right away that she does do things differently, and can't do everything he does yet, but the basics are just like him, and all she wants is to be his friend.  Well, from then on he warmed right up to her, even takes turns with the aide feeding my daughter her baby food at breakfast and lunch.  Then this comes over from teacher today....

Remember the little guy at the beginning of the year that wasn’t sure about Macy and his mom and I talked to him about her?
Well his older brothers were talking about girlfriends one night at home.  One was saying he had a girlfriend and his other brother was like gross I don’t want a girlfriend!
This little guy pipes up and says “I have a girlfriend.”
They all stop and look at him and say Oh really!?
“Yea, Macy!”  his mom said like duh who else would it be?  He talks about her all the time.
Then he continues “She doesn't talk much.” Lol!

I love how Macy who can not even talk, spreads awareness and acceptance every day.  And that this little boy that once thought she was so strange finds her to be his best buddy.  I swear, if we get to them young, we can eliminate ignorance in future generations!!
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Irislady17
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this
That is so sweet, and awesome for your daughter to have such a good friend!
jjamom
by Michele on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this
What a wonderful story! I agree with your last statement so much, too! I think the other thing that helps is how the teacher and the parent both calmly and simply explained that she is basically just like him. Kids pick up on adult behaviors quickly and if the adults are very supportive, the kids follow suit. LOVE THIS STORY! Thanks so much for sharing.
Mipsy
by Chelle on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Awww that is too sweet!! I love it!
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Couldn't agree more.  Discrimination has to be taught, no 5 year old just knows it.  Thankfully this situation had good modeling examples.  Wish everyone could take that same approach!!  I love my teacher.  She is so great!

Quoting jjamom: What a wonderful story! I agree with your last statement so much, too! I think the other thing that helps is how the teacher and the parent both calmly and simply explained that she is basically just like him. Kids pick up on adult behaviors quickly and if the adults are very supportive, the kids follow suit. LOVE THIS STORY! Thanks so much for sharing.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I LOVE this...I already commented but I will do it again:)

golfqueen123
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Awesome story, brought a tear to my eye, well maybe a few!!! Lol

Codysmom2106
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this

That is so cute! And awesome'! 

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this

That was the greatest thing I've heard all day long. I think you are right about teaching acceptance at a young age. He sounds like a great little guy! 

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Yes!  I'm hoping he ends up at the same school as my daughter next year.  It would be great for her to have a little ally going into the new big school! 

Quoting Linagma03:

That was the greatest thing I've heard all day long. I think you are right about teaching acceptance at a young age. He sounds like a great little guy! 

letstalk747
by Joy on Mar. 31, 2014 at 12:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Amen

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN