Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Finding a Babysitter

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:47 AM
  • 12 Replies

How do you go about finding a good one for your SN child? Our 3 year old DD is Autistic, and so far only my Mom has watched her for us. We also have a 21 month old Ds who is NT. My Mom gets overwhelmed watching them sometimes so we don't ask her to watch them often. DH and I are really struggling in our relationship from a lack of time off from the kids. So is there a way that you went about finding a babysitter? Tips? Suggestions? 

Thanks! 

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thriftymom35
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm interested in any info on this also.  We're in the same boat!

jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

You could put an ad in the school paper or a flier up in the Education building at any local colleges.  Students in Special Education might be a great choice for a sitter.  Make sure you check references, of course.  You could also have them come out to meet your kids and maybe set up a time where they could come and spend some time with the kids when you are there to let them get acquainted and make sure they click.  

There are also services where you can find babysitters online and they are often set up where you can enter special needs and they can match you up with choices that fit your needs.  

You could also ask around with other parents in any local support groups you may be involved in.

TommyAbby
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Care.com does background and criminal checks. They have a list of those who are good with special needs kids. 

You could also talk to your service coordinator about respite care. We use that. It's FABULOUS!! Our girl adores my two with DS and they love her. She comes once or twice a week for 3hrs at a time. (once a week if we use 6hrs in an evening) Enough time for a nice dinner a movie. 

I also have someone that comes during the day while I am at work and that was through a home health agency ( info I got from my service coordinator also). It's a covered service. I can't tell you what a blessing it is so that I can work. 

Rembrandt2186
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:18 PM

I will look into Care.com. Unfortunately the agency that put our application in for Respite lost our application so we had to reapply and won't hear back until July. Also in our state they only give respite money, they don't have workers anymore, so we have to find one ourselves :( 

Quoting TommyAbby:

Care.com does background and criminal checks. They have a list of those who are good with special needs kids. 

You could also talk to your service coordinator about respite care. We use that. It's FABULOUS!! Our girl adores my two with DS and they love her. She comes once or twice a week for 3hrs at a time. (once a week if we use 6hrs in an evening) Enough time for a nice dinner a movie. 

I also have someone that comes during the day while I am at work and that was through a home health agency ( info I got from my service coordinator also). It's a covered service. I can't tell you what a blessing it is so that I can work. 

Rembrandt2186
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Those are all good ideas, thank you! Unfortunately we don't have any support groups around here. We are in the middle of nowhere and the closest support group is two hours away :( 

Quoting jjamom:

You could put an ad in the school paper or a flier up in the Education building at any local colleges.  Students in Special Education might be a great choice for a sitter.  Make sure you check references, of course.  You could also have them come out to meet your kids and maybe set up a time where they could come and spend some time with the kids when you are there to let them get acquainted and make sure they click.  

There are also services where you can find babysitters online and they are often set up where you can enter special needs and they can match you up with choices that fit your needs.  

You could also ask around with other parents in any local support groups you may be involved in.

jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:31 PM
Yes! Care.com is the one I was thinking of, but couldn't remember the name and also wasn't sure if they were local or nationwide.

Quoting TommyAbby:

jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:32 PM
You're welcome. I hope you find someone reliable and trustworthy.

Quoting Rembrandt2186:

Those are all good ideas, thank you! Unfortunately we don't have any support groups around here. We are in the middle of nowhere and the closest support group is two hours away :( 

Quoting jjamom:

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:06 PM
Does your child get therapy? If you're close to her therapist, maybe ask if she could watch them now and then. My inlaws take ours once in a while and my best friend is awesome with them. We also have a lady in our church that watches them if we're really in a bind.
Rembrandt2186
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 3:02 PM

She gets therapy through the school, and the teachers she has have their own kids so they don't seem to be able to. She does have an aide, but I don't know if she would want to either. My inlaws are too far away and frankly, I don't trust them. DH was verbally and emotionally abused growing up so I don't want them watching the kids. We are also new at our church relatively, so we are still meeting people. I thought I had met someone a few weeks ago that might work, but when I tried to email her she never contacted me back. :( thanks for the ideas, I will keep trying to find someone :) 

Quoting arkansasmama08: Does your child get therapy? If you're close to her therapist, maybe ask if she could watch them now and then. My inlaws take ours once in a while and my best friend is awesome with them. We also have a lady in our church that watches them if we're really in a bind.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 4, 2014 at 4:35 PM

We don't have one.  Our son is special needs with lots of severe medical needs, so a typical baby sitter wouldn't suffice for us.  We use our family to watch him when they come to visit.  He also has a private nurse that will start working with him soon plus he'll have skilled respite care for nights/weekend.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)