Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sleeping help!!

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:46 AM
  • 6 Replies
Hi all, I'm new here!
So me and my partner are about to start trying to put our 2 1/2 year old boy with Ds into his own cot, in his own room! There are numerous reasons for him being in our bed, illnesses throughout the winter, still gets terribly cold at night, and possible sleep apnoea! With the spring starting, we know that he doesn't usually get I'll during the summer, and obviously it will be a little warmer! With regards to sleep apnoea, we will have a sleep mat, and monitors! So here's my question lol, which ways have people found best getting their children with Ds into their own beds!? Let him cry it out (willing to try this but a bit scared as he sometimes chokes when crying), let him fall asleep in out bed then transfer? Willing to try anything!! Any others?! We can't use sleeping teddies, as he's scared of the faces on them (whole different issue lol) please help!!

TYIA
Xx
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MamaLauri
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Can you lay down or sit with him and read until he falls asleep? At least to start with?

It would make you feel better too. My youngest son had medical conditions that made it scary for me to leave him until he was 2. He shared a room with his older brother from 3 months to 6 years. My concerns might have accidently transfered to him, because he was afraid to sleep without his brother until he was 7, even once they each had their own rooms. My youngest would bribe his older brother to sleep in his room.

When either were sick, they would stay with us until they were ~8.

Irislady17
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:41 PM
I do not have any experience with ds, however I do have a child that slept in my bed for a really long time.
When I was trying to get her back to bed we did several different things. First I put a baby monitor in her room, and we played with it for awhile so she knew how it worked. I told her if she needed anything at all, even if she just needed some comfort she could just say so and I would be able to hear her. That helped alot, she knew I was still super close. Also we did a rewards chart like the kind you use for potty training, after so many days not in our bed she got a prize. It took about 2 weeks before she was completely in her own bed and not calling for me every few min on the monitor. But it worked, and I never had to let her cry. I wish you the best of luck! I think the transition can be just as hard on you as the kid, especially in the case of SN.
jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:46 PM
I have three kids and my little guy with DS is the only one who actually never slept in our bed.

As for the other two, when they were younger, we would lay down with them in their own room and then leave when the fell asleep (careful that they were really fully asleep or the process would start all over, lol). They often ended up in our bed in the middle of the night. It was hard to break them if it, especially our oldest.

Are they planning to do anything for the sleep apnea? My little guy had it as well, but it resolved once we had his tonsils and adenoids out, thankfully.
Cakey09
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:57 PM
I've tried the transfering into his own bed, but because he keeps waking in his sleep, his automatic thing to do is reach out, and as soon as he touches my hair, he knows he's ok! He will do this at least 10 times during the night (I'm guessing sleep apnea) so if he were to do this in his own cot, he hits the bars, and wakens properly! I've mentioned sleep apnea to his paed, and he said she's gonna refer him To ENT, what were your little boys symptoms of it, I feel because I'm a 1st time and younger parent (21 when he was born) that they think I'm over reacting! He goes through periods of nt breathing then waking with a big gasp, can sleep three hours in the day (if I let him) really loud snoring! Xx

Quoting jjamom: I have three kids and my little guy with DS is the only one who actually never slept in our bed.

As for the other two, when they were younger, we would lay down with them in their own room and then leave when the fell asleep (careful that they were really fully asleep or the process would start all over, lol). They often ended up in our bed in the middle of the night. It was hard to break them if it, especially our oldest.

Are they planning to do anything for the sleep apnea? My little guy had it as well, but it resolved once we had his tonsils and adenoids out, thankfully.
jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:11 PM

The main symptom that prompted them to send my son for a sleep study was that on his echocardiogram, the cardiologist noted very high pulmonary hypertension (pulmonary artery pressure).  He had an unrepaired heart defect at that time and she believed that the heart defect alone would not account for such high PH.  So, we scheduled a sleep study and I remember when they had me fill out the paperwork that he had very few other symptoms.  Unless he was sick, I didn't hear much snoring, for example.  But, the sleep study showed he had moderate obstructive sleep apnea, which is actually very common in kids with DS.  He had his heart repaired first and his PH came down a bit, but once his tonsils and adenoids came out and he had his next echo (6 weeks later) it came down to mild.  A follow up sleep study showed the OSA was resolved as well.  

The things I recall from the checklist, however, were snoring, sleeping with their head tilted back, waking with a gasp, observing that the child seems to stop breathing, sweating during sleep, excessive tiredness during waking hours.  

Don't let them make you feel that you are over-reacting.  As I said, it can be very common in kids with DS, and some of the symptoms you mentioned fit the bill.  Besides, I really believe that if mom thinks something is "off", it usually is.  The ENT will be the one to order the sleep study, so you are on the right track.  :)

Quoting Cakey09: I've tried the transfering into his own bed, but because he keeps waking in his sleep, his automatic thing to do is reach out, and as soon as he touches my hair, he knows he's ok! He will do this at least 10 times during the night (I'm guessing sleep apnea) so if he were to do this in his own cot, he hits the bars, and wakens properly! I've mentioned sleep apnea to his paed, and he said she's gonna refer him To ENT, what were your little boys symptoms of it, I feel because I'm a 1st time and younger parent (21 when he was born) that they think I'm over reacting! He goes through periods of nt breathing then waking with a big gasp, can sleep three hours in the day (if I let him) really loud snoring! Xx
Quoting jjamom: I have three kids and my little guy with DS is the only one who actually never slept in our bed. As for the other two, when they were younger, we would lay down with them in their own room and then leave when the fell asleep (careful that they were really fully asleep or the process would start all over, lol). They often ended up in our bed in the middle of the night. It was hard to break them if it, especially our oldest. Are they planning to do anything for the sleep apnea? My little guy had it as well, but it resolved once we had his tonsils and adenoids out, thankfully.

Linagma03
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Lina is 10 and still sleeps in our room. From 1 to 6 she slept in our bed, couldn't get her out because of anxiety on her part. At 6 she went into a toddler bed in our room. At 7 she wanted to share a room with her sister after we got her seizures under control. At 8 she was back in our bedroom in her own bed, now a twin bed. We moved and she is now in my bed. I'm sorry I don't have a lot I can suggest except maybe put his bed in your room for a week or two, then move his bed to his own room and hope he sleeps in there. I would read to Lina and stay in her sister's room until she fell asleep I only had to go back into her a couple of times because she had woken up crying.

I have just come to the conclusion that she will most likely be in my room indefinately. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)