• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Update on Ty

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:17 PM
  • 13 Replies
We've had a lot going on. Ty had a GI appt last month and he lost weight again so they upped his TPN and put him on lipids (fats) everyday vs only 3x a week. Then a few days later we ended up admitted with a line infection. We got out 4 days later and went home on IV antibiotics. Then the very next week (last Wednesday) Ty was readmitted with influenza b which baffled us and sucks as he got the flu shot. We got home Saturday. Now praying he is home for awhile!

Then yesterday he had an appt and found out he has lost even more weight and is almost down to where he was in January when all this crap started. Very frustrated and worried. He's slightly anemic too.

Then I believe I talked in here about how the school is wanting to hold Ty back in kindergarten. We went to the ADHD clinic yesterday and they are ordering neuropsych testing to see how he learns and probably identify learning disabilities. They feel he most likely has ADHD and a learning disability. They feel he is very smary though, we just need to find out how to teach him. The dr feels we shouldnt hold him back. She said she doesnt believe he is behind because of all the school missed but because of hyperactivity, inability to focus, and a learning disability. She said if he were socially and emotionally immature, then sure. But hes not, and unless they completely change the way they teach in kindergarten, holding him back is worthless. They are going to help us get his IEP (which is under speech only) and 504 to change to just an IEP under Other Health Impairments. They said his health is impairing his ability to learn so he needs better accomodations and they will help us with it. I feel like we have a glimmer of hope for his educational future.
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Irislady17
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this
(Hugs) it sounds like you have been crazy busy!
I know how the weight struggle goes, we fight for and rejoice in every ounce. Anemia is a scary thing, are they talking about meds or transfusions at all to help?
I hope for his sake and yours that they are able to get the school thing figured out to not hold him back. I'll be wishing you guys good luck in that!
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this
That's a lot to worry about, Mama! *HUGS*
cnsmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry that he has had so many issues and keeps loosing weight.  That would have to be so stressful, and scary.  I hope they find the right teaching method for Ty, it sounds like they really shouldn't make him repeat K.  I wish you the best.  Good luck with everything.

dawncs
by Dawn on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:22 PM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like both you and your child's school are taking a good approach regarding your son's education. I recommend reading http://www.wrightslaw.com/ and http://www.chadd.org/.

jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about the hospitalizations and weight loss.  But, I am very glad to hear about the education stuff.  That sounds like a good plan and excellent that they will help you get what he needs!  

Linagma03
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope he is home for a good long time too. I really hope that they can get the school thing all worked out for you. Yes once they learn how he learns then he'll most likely just take off and fly. Good Luck with everything!

Mipsy
by Chelle on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:21 AM
Not yet, they are watching it right now. I dunno when they will decide to treat but its been trending down, not ever going up then down again, just going down

Quoting Irislady17: (Hugs) it sounds like you have been crazy busy!
I know how the weight struggle goes, we fight for and rejoice in every ounce. Anemia is a scary thing, are they talking about meds or transfusions at all to help?
I hope for his sake and yours that they are able to get the school thing figured out to not hold him back. I'll be wishing you guys good luck in that!
Mipsy
by Chelle on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:24 AM
Tjanks gals. I forgot, it took me so long to respond cuz I am in CA on a choir trip for school. My first time ever leaving Ty. He cried Wednesday when he found out I was leaving :( but he was ok yesterday telling me bye. We come home Sunday :)
MamaLauri
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

He probably learns visually (right brain). Kids with ADHD often have problems with written or verbal symbols that effect reading and math, but excell in critical thinking skills. Learning visually remedies the challenge.

Hugs for the tummy problems.

Mipsy
by Chelle on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:53 AM
I agree with you, my dh and I have discussed that and we think he is visual learner too

Quoting MamaLauri:

He probably learns visually (right brain). Kids with ADHD often have problems with written or verbal symbols that effect reading and math, but excell in critical thinking skills. Learning visually remedies the challenge.

Hugs for the tummy problems.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)